aberdeen-music

Something I learned today

waltz

• 2 weeks later...

Talking of sandwiches:

in the 1880s, the IRA/IRB stole a sub from the US army to attack British ships from below. Problem was, they didn't know how it worked, and they couldn't exactly ask the Americans for instructions. So, to raise money, they toured it around Ireland and the US. One man, a baker called Dominic Conti, was so impressed with its shape, he called his sandwiches 'subs'. So when you hear about Subs and Subway sandwiches, it's because of the IRA.

(I learned this recently)

Edited by waltz

7 hours ago, waltz said:

Talking of sandwiches:

in the 1880s, the IRA/IRB stole a sub from the US army to attack British ships from below. Problem was, they didn't know how it worked, and they couldn't exactly ask the Americans for instructions. So, to raise money, they toured it around Ireland and the US. One man, a baker called Dominic Conti, was so impressed with its shape, he called his sandwiches 'subs'. So when you hear about Subs and Subway sandwiches, it's because of the IRA.

(I learned this recently)

Rubberbandits?

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Soda Jerk said:

TIL that HIV/AIDS denial is a thing, and that Dave Grohl is a HIV/AIDS denier. Or "truther" as they apparently like to be called.

Is everyone who is even slightly famous just a total shithouse now? Even Dave 'nicest guy in rock n roll' Grohl?

Sauce?

or source as the kids call it?

2 hours ago, Adam Easy Wishes said:

I actually didn't know Grohl's AIDS denying went that far back.

And they link to Christine Maggiore's "compelling personal story" on their site in 2003, a fellow AIDS denier and "activist", who was HIV positive and died of AIDS-related pneumonia in 2008

She sounded like a major league piece of shit:

Christine Maggiore chose not to take antiretroviral drugs or other measures which reduce the risk of mother-to-child transmission of HIV during her pregnancies.[3][11] Maggiore also breast-fed her children, despite evidence that breast-feeding can also transmit HIV from mother to child. Her youngest daughter, Eliza Jane, was never tested for HIV, nor did she or her older brother Charlie receive any of the recommended childhood vaccines.

Eliza died of the same illness as her mother in 2005.

The fuck you doing, Grohl? 

• 10 months later...