aberdeen-music

Something I learned today

waltz

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Peeling bananas from the non-stem end is far easier.

I'd heard about it a long time, that monkeys peel from that end, and those internet articles titled "OMG you've been doing this wrong your whole life" which I strongly dislike and tend to ignore just to rebel against them.

Unfortunately, they were right on bananas.

• 3 weeks later...

2 things I learned yesterday:

- Americans don't put butter/margarine on their sandwiches. I was buttering bread and someone asked me wtf I was doing. Think about it, you never see someone in a movie/tv show with a tub of olivio, it's always mayo or something else. It all makes sense now that you can't buy 'spreadable' butter in supermarkets.

- Americans don't use the terms 'pensioner' or 'OAP'. 

I guess it's not alien, because I know people do it, but I do think it's really weird to have a buttery taste in with cheese and salad and whatnot. My missus does it, so I always have to remind her not to put it on mine if she's making me a sandwich.

The only butty of mine that butter goes on is a chip butty. It's an integral ingredient. I'd put it in a bacon or a sausage sandwich as well, but I'm not really eating meat anymore. Cold sandwiches though - no chance.

41 minutes ago, Soda Jerk said:

Do they have kettles yet?

When I was there when I was a kid, a long long time ago, the friends we stayed with didn't have a kettle or know what a kettle was. They boiled water in a pan, like Victorian times.

I guess it's 'cause they call have 'drip' coffee machines and don't drink tea.

1 hour ago, Soda Jerk said:

When I was there when I was a kid, a long long time ago, the friends we stayed with didn't have a kettle or know what a kettle was. They boiled water in a pan, like Victorian times.

absolute madness

27 minutes ago, Adam Easy Wishes said:

I guess it's 'cause they call have 'drip' coffee machines and don't drink tea.

Tea has been on the up in the States, hasn't it?

The friends we stayed with drank tea, but had to put a pan of water on every time for it.

That was pretty much all they used the hob for. They never cooked. Eating out was so unbelievably cheap, as was getting in a gigantic pizza, or a bucket of chicken. Their fridge was just fresh milk, and leftovers from restaurants/takeout.

I'm assuming this one family and what they did some 20 years ago accurately summarises the whole of the United States.

Edited by Soda Jerk
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Soda Jerk said:

The twitter thread/rant I read on the subject says they DO NOT use electric kettles?! Either pan-boiling water or stove top kettles like fucking cavemen.

xx

Things have evolved slightly... kettles are fairly widespread now. The stove top ones that whistle though. Electric kettles on the other hand are some buck rogers shit they don't even know about. I felt like I was on Tomorrow's World when I showed my wife some on amazon.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ca_gere said:

Things have evolved slightly... kettles are fairly widespread now. The stove top ones that whistle though. Electric kettles on the other hand are some buck rogers shit they don't even know about. I felt like I was on Tomorrow's World when I showed my wife some on amazon.

I just got an electric kettle this weekend in my part of Poland and the Polish wife is just amazed by it. 

3 hours ago, colb said:

I'd have thought that the lower voltages in American power supplies would make boiling water in an electric kettle take a long time? 

I timed mine (2 litre kettle) and takes exactly 5 mins for full boil. Which is incredibly slow for U.K. standard, but if I was heating up a huge pan of water here on the stove it would take about 30 fucking minutes to boil.

6 hours ago, HeinzHines said:

I just got an electric kettle this weekend in my part of Poland and the Polish wife is just amazed by it. 

I timed mine (2 litre kettle) and takes exactly 5 mins for full boil. Which is incredibly slow for U.K. standard, but if I was heating up a huge pan of water here on the stove it would take about 30 fucking minutes to boil.

xnc310.jpg

• Upvote 4