aberdeen-music

Something I learned today

waltz

For certain instruments, e.g. the saxophone, musicians don't play the note written on the score. Instead it's a fingering instruction (snigger).  So for a Bb clarinet when they see a C natural written on sheet music they actually play a Bb.  Just to be awkward.

Here was me thinking that if you learnt to read sheet music that it was a common language between instruments, but no, the brass section screws it up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transposing_instrument

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_musical_instruments_by_transposition

Is guitar not different to other instruments as well when it comes to notes and placement on the score?  For example the middle C on a piece written for piano would have the note in the middle of the score where as for guitar the same middle C would be written in the line above. 

Is guitar not different to other instruments as well when it comes to notes and placement on the score?  For example the middle C on a piece written for piano would have the note in the middle of the score where as for guitar the same middle C would be written in the line above. 

Not sure, but if it is that would be octave transposing - you're still seeing C on the score and playing C on the guitar.  What blew my mind this morning was that a sax/trumpet/bugle/clarinet player sees C on the score and plays an entirely different note. The same fingering on the keys produces a different note on each instrument and they use the score as a guide to which keys/holes to finger (snigger) rather than specifically which note to play.

I'm not sure what that means in practice.  Guess in an orchestra setting they must write the score for each instrument differently so that they play the correct note instead of the one that would normally be written on the score.

I'm not sure what that means in practice.  Guess in an orchestra setting they must write the score for each instrument differently so that they play the correct note instead of the one that would normally be written on the score.

Yes. If you wanted the trumpet to play the same melody line in C major as the violin for example, you couldn't just give them copies of the same sheet. You would have to write out the trumpet music as if they were playing the melody in D - i.e. if you accidentally gave the violinist the trumpet music, they would play the melody in D. And the trumpeter playing the violinist's music would sound like it was playing the melody in Bb. Full orchestral scores are mental.

• 3 weeks later...

On the whole written music thing above. Do the different musicians read the music as it is and play a different note or do they actually read the music differently?

I.e. In Frosty's example above, giving the violinist the music which suggests they would play in D rather than C - does the violinist 'know' the music says D but he plays C or in violin written music terms is that actually showing it is in C?

I too had assumed that all written music was transferable amongst all the instruments. My music reading is pretty shit in any case. I used to be able to recognise what a note placed on a line or a space meant but I'd probably struggle to even do that now.

On the whole written music thing above. Do the different musicians read the music as it is and play a different note or do they actually read the music differently?

I.e. In Frosty's example above, giving the violinist the music which suggests they would play in D rather than C - does the violinist 'know' the music says D but he plays C or in violin written music terms is that actually showing it is in C?

I too had assumed that all written music was transferable amongst all the instruments. My music reading is pretty shit in any case. I used to be able to recognise what a note placed on a line or a space meant but I'd probably struggle to even do that now.

The staff always uses the same notes. So a C on the staff is always C.  A violin player would always play it as written, they don't transpose. Hence in Frosty's example the violin would play the score written in D as D.  But the trumpet player would be playing the score in D as C.  A musician with a transposing instrument will see the C and may know it's a C but if they play a C on their instrument it actually produces a different note.  So instead they're given sheet music which shows a D on the staff.  They play a D and it actually produces the required note.

Well fat fuck Moyles played him on the UK tour.

Actually I remember making fun of that on Facebook. I saw a poster for it starring something like Chris Moyles, Baby Spice and someone else really shit and I remarked then that they'll let any cunt star in an Andrew Lloyd Webber musical these days if it'll put bums in seats.

"New in arenas in 2014! Joseph & His Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat starring Brian Harvey as Joseph, Phil Jupitus as Pharoah and Peter Beardsley as Jacob! Book now to avoid disappointment!"