aberdeen-music

Something I learned today

waltz

I found out today that the biggest outbreak of typhoid in the 20 century in Britain was in Aberdeen in 1964.It was casueed by Argentinian corned beef that had been improperly stored and then sold from a shop on Union St called William Lowes. There were about a dozren deaths I believe.

I recorded a whole album of instrumentals inspired by this outbreak.

"Purely instrumental, The Aberdeen Typhoid Outbreak of 1964 is an atmospheric and haunting collection, based on one of the largest food-borne outbreaks of typhoid recorded in the UK In fact, only a royal visit finally cleansed Aberdeen of its beleaguered reputation.

Opening with the quiet electronic pulse of Establishment 25, the album unfolds slowly, from piano duets to discordant drones to soft beauty, until it reaches its heartbeat with the 13 minute The Beleaguered City, a long, time-stretching rolling fog of sound, which coils around you, cold and desolate. Breaking the mood, the happy bassline of 17th June/The All-Clear is Declared, eases the tension, brilliantly mimicking history, you can almost feel the relief all around. To finish, the gentle folk feel of Farewell to William Low, has a majestic, defiant heart," (Simon Lewis/Ptolemaic Terrascope)

However you're overstating the deathlist!

Personally, I really enjoyed the Typhoid epidemic...we got extra holidays from primary school, and I have fond memories of playing on abandoned cars on a bomb-site where the Denburn Health Centre is now. :up:

• Upvote 1

I found out today that the biggest outbreak of typhoid in the 20 century in Britain was in Aberdeen in 1964.It was casueed by Argentinian corned beef that had been improperly stored and then sold from a shop on Union St called William Lowes. There were about a dozren deaths I believe.
You been watching John Meades?
The iphone is the exact same height as a can of irn bru.

This is neither interesting or astounding in any way but you will check it.

You mother fucker.

Jeffrey Dahmer just wanted to keep someone with him, possibly forever, even if it was just a part of that person.

John Wayne Gacy was not into bondage, S&M or any of that kinky stuff. He just liked vaginal, anal and oral sex.

Richard Ramirez was an evil man.

Trashing the place in a Led Zep stylee apparently.

Being Sydney, I'd imagine he replaced the Red Snapper with a Haddock supper from the Culter chipper.

Your mum wasn't involved was she (thinking about Nefarious C's mum entertaining Simply Red etc etc)?

My granny shagged Jimmy Shand (allegedly).

Hang on.......................I used to play the accordion o_O

Being Sydney, I'd imagine he replaced the Red Snapper with a Haddock supper from the Culter chipper.

Ha, perhaps hard to believe but I was thinking about this last night and planned to come on and post exactly the same thing (though with added detail by mentioning Greasy Gus rather than just your generic Culter chipper.) Great minds and all that.

Ha, perhaps hard to believe but I was thinking about this last night and planned to come on and post exactly the same thing (though with added detail by mentioning Greasy Gus rather than just your generic Culter chipper.) Great minds and all that.

Greasy Gus - Hero.