aberdeen-music

Banks

Soda Jerk

Banks are shite.

Boring discussion, but I'm after a new bank. Who do you Bank with, and would you recommend them?

I'm with Santander, and they can just get fucked. I've hated every minute of being their customer. First off, they opened the account, then blocked it with no warning a few weeks later because they didn't accept the ID I produced at the appointment, even though it was approved by the branch manager and advisor. That was a pain in the dick, and I was left without money for about 10 days. To this day, I'm still complaining about it, but they never get back to me, like they keep promising to do. On top of that, the debit card is rubbish. All the numbers scratched off in 2 weeks, and I the chip has worn down, meaning it gets declined in certain places, and accepted in others. I have been requesting a new card in the branch since February (around 2 weeks after I recieved the card), pretty much on a weekly basis - so we're talking around 15/16 times. It's now May, and I've still got the same cheap battered card where I can't even read the numbers, and they have no record of me ever requesting a new card... Diabolical.

So who's good? A Visa Debit would be nice, as it's the reason I left Nationwide since they don't do debit cards on basic accounts. Not fussed about Overdrafts, or any of that house, life, car, boat and volcano insurance for 13 quid a month. Preferably not an Internet one either, where I have to send documents in the post, or get certified copies and all that guff. Just a regular account, with a debit card so I can buy stuff for 1p off Amazon Marketplace.

I bank with Smile. I got a debit card, 500 overdraft, linked savings account. They transferred my debits all okay and I didn't have a problem getting my documentation authorised by post IIRC. Maybe not the best if you handle cash a lot and the interest on the savings account is about 1.5% but real rates are negative everywhere right now.

*well, now I read your post properly, I see that Internets not for you.

I'm with Santander and don't have any problems. The only problem is when you go in the branch they're really slow! They've always answered my questions ok and seem to be fine on the phone as well. I've got online banking with it, but I only use it to check my balance etc.

I've just got a normal account that gives me a visa debit card. I don't have an overdraft so I don't know what it's like. I've also got a credit card with them and have no issues with that. I know I could probably get a lower apr with another one, but I've only used it to book a flight to Oz so the payments I make monthly are waaay more than they're asking for.

I'm with Royal Bank of Scotland and I've never had any problems with them, bar one but that was with some wankstain commenting on my spending in front of a massive queue. I did explain that I have a student overdraft and the increase in my spending lately was because I had to move into town therefore buy things like kitchen utensils. If I had actually had time to faff about I would have asked to speak to his supervisor because I was there to put money into my account, not to get a telling off because I was using my overdraft.

Other than that, I get paper statements, and unlike Santander there are always plenty of people on the desks so you're not queueing for hours on end. Plus when I opened my account I didn't get all of that hard sell crap. I have opened a joint account with Bank of Scotland and I wasn't impressed that they neglected to tell me that there was just a plain bank account, and was made to go for one of their fancy new ones where if you have an overdraft you get charged 1 a day. But at the end of the day it's just an account for bills to come out of.

Edit: oh and they're both visa debit cards, RBS are switching from the Maestro card it seems, which is good since some websites wouldn't have an option for it.

I'm with Royal Bank of Scotland and I've never had any problems with them, bar one but that was with some wankstain commenting on my spending in front of a massive queue. I did explain that I have a student overdraft and the increase in my spending lately was because I had to move into town therefore buy things like kitchen utensils. If I had actually had time to faff about I would have asked to speak to his supervisor because I was there to put money into my account, not to get a telling off because I was using my overdraft.

Other than that, I get paper statements, and unlike Santander there are always plenty of people on the desks so you're not queueing for hours on end. Plus when I opened my account I didn't get all of that hard sell crap. I have opened a joint account with Bank of Scotland and I wasn't impressed that they neglected to tell me that there was just a plain bank account, and was made to go for one of their fancy new ones where if you have an overdraft you get charged 1 a day. But at the end of the day it's just an account for bills to come out of.

Edit: oh and they're both visa debit cards, RBS are switching from the Maestro card it seems, which is good since some websites wouldn't have an option for it.

Innit! Santander really give you the salesman effort. I didn't have an account, I was just in putting some money into the missis' account, and they ask me if I want an account. I said no, because it'd be a chore getting ID together, as I didn't have a passport at the time. Then they start making an appointment for me, even though I said no. Went along anyway, and it was just a huge ballsing up from the word go. I thoroughly regret it.

I bank with HBOS and got absolutely duped into taking that terrible Ultimate Reward account. I used to be reasonably happy with them but I reckon they gave me some pretty bad advice there.

Also, I had some trouble using my debit card on holiday in the States as apparently there's some rule about not being able to use your card in more than three states or countries within a certain timespan without notifying them first. Although they resolved that pretty quickly and the staff are generally quite attentive and helpful on most occasions.

My mum is with Santander and because she lives 40 miles from the nearest bank of that name, she has to use the telephone banking. I'd say 8/10 she ends up slamming the phone down in a temper tantrum because the people at the call center are foreign and don't understand what she's saying.

Or maybe she's racist.

After getting totally fed up with the appalling Nationwide I went to Lloyds a few months back and I have never experienced such incredibly good custoimer serivce from a bank. I got shown into an office, given tea, everything was incredibly civilised and decent. I then put a load of money in the account and it vanished! I was then told one of my IDs hadnt been photocopied properly by them and so to prevent fraud the account was suspended until it was sorted. It took ages and was a hassle but they were incredibly decent about it and what impressed me was being phoned up by a human being at the branch regularly and not speaking to a call centre. I will allow them that one screw up cos I am impressed. Plus I like the horsey logo.

I use Barclays for my own account and I've never had any hassle with them. The also don't pester you to take fancy accounts and such like. Also, the staff in the Union Street banch are really helpful.

For the joint account we're with Lloyds TSB, don't have any real issues with them but they are very much into getting you into the branch to try and sell you stuff. They seem to pester my other half on a regular basis.

I've been with lloyds since my pap set a account up for me when I was a bairn and only had one inconvienience with them which was very minor.

I get my money when I want and I get charged very little for having an overdraft which has come in handy quite a few times.

I just have a basic account with them and I'm never hassled by phone to upgrade my account.

I break the cards all the time and it only takes at least 7-8 working days to get a new on along with the new details.

To add to the general positive vibes about Lloyds TSB, I've been with them for nearly 20 years and they've never given me any problems. They are pretty fond of phoning you up to winch you into a branch for a review but going in and saying "I don't even want to HEAR the words 'credit card' " before they've even had a chance to say anything heads them off nicely. :)

Over the Christmas period, I had almost my entire month's wages fraudulently taken from my account and they dealt with it well. Extended the o/d to cover the sum in question until it actually came out of my account, destroyed my bank card and gave me some ready cash to tide me over until the new card came through. The card came through in under a week, and bearing in mind this included the New Year holiday days I thought that was pretty damn good going. Went in to cancel the o/d extension the next day and it was if it had never happened.

For Original Spies, a visa debit card from them will prove no problem, so fire in. :D

Only negative is that their cash machines are about to stop the printed full statement option, which I've been using more than ever since that attempted fraud, but they'll be sending statements every month as a matter of course.

I reckon a bank that largely leaves you alone if you're relatively sensible with your cash is pretty much all you can ask of them, so I'd recommend them 100%.

:up:

My current account is with RBS and I have no complaints, their fraud squad are on the ball too! Just got my new debit card in and its VISA now instead of Maestro.

As for savings accounts, dunno, currently having a look. Got a really shitty interest rate on my ISA this year but looking around looks like 2 - 2.5% is the standard rate these days. Which is still fucking bollox but I guess it just reflects the markets at the mo.

Only negative is that their cash machines are about to stop the printed full statement option, which I've been using more than ever since that attempted fraud, but they'll be sending statements every month as a matter of course.

Like yourself i've been with Lloyds TSB since I was a young un, well over 25 years now. I can highly recommend them too.

With regards to your point above, their online banking is really good and simple to set up. Maybe worth giving that a blast?

I've heard nothing but good things about Lloyds, not just here, but elsewhere. I think I'll give them a go!

Strongly recommend it. Plus with just a standard debit card I am capable of taking out cash abroad at a very small rats comapred to other banks.

If you just have a regular income and the usual outgoings they will stand you in good stead.

• 1 year later...

I use First Direct, the main selling point for me was the customer service record.

It was awesome, and at the time i was setting it up, i had to phone from Africa to get everything in order regarding security and direct debits. It all went very smoothly and the call centres are always british based and answered swiftly. Plus you get 100 notes for opening an account. Have had no hassle since, apart from a direct debit for the broadband which stopped happening, but turns out that was 02 being morons...

On a seperate note, if you open up a regular saving account and chuck in any amount from like 30-300 a month you get 8% interest after a year. Which is masseev in comparison to other companies.

On a seperate note, if you open up a regular saving account and chuck in any amount from like 30-300 a month you get 8% interest after a year. Which is masseev in comparison to other companies.

Yeah that's a lot of interest. Does anyone know what dictates something like that? They're not going to go bust in year two are they..

Yeah that's a lot of interest. Does anyone know what dictates something like that? They're not going to go bust in year two are they..

it'll be a loss leader, they'll make their money from other products that those customers will take on. Also First Direct will have much lower overheads than a high street bank so can put those savings onto their products.

It's owned by HSBC as well who are in no danger of going bust anytime soon. They coped better than most during the financial crisis due to lower exposure and are one of the top 3 banks in the world (may even be the biggest now).

On the downside, I wouldn't give my business to any online or telephone bank who advertised their call centre staff as being like fish out of water.

They probably offer it because you have to make the payments every month otherwise it goes down to a really shit rate. A high percentage of people will probably miss one payment over the course of the year and take the hit for it.

Also, you can just use the HSBC branch on queens road for speaking to folk, its where i pay in my cheques. Bit of a shit to get parked down there and a fair stomp from the centre of town though so i guess it depends on your circumstances.