aberdeen-music
Sign in to follow this  
Afro Droid

The Internet has Killed The Fanzine

Discuss!

I dug out my old copies of Blind Youth t'other day. Fascinating reading, things seem way different now; but in a weird way, nothing's *really* changed....

dunno there's plenty of webzines and messageboards and its a much quicker way of projecting information. the net is a good thing for music in general i think. but whilst naturally fanzines like fudge in hard copy are now fewer and farer between like vinyl records they'll be around for a while yet.

http://web.archive.org/web/19971015105810/http://www.scooter.demon.co.uk/adie/yoof.htm

(you might have to click and drag across the page to read most of the text)

I think the internet has changed things, it's certainly killed the zine in the classic sense. Online zines seem to cater less to the local stuff and instead try and review more of the name stuff instead (maybe they've just wised up to the availability of free cd's if you review them). And they don't seem to be as much fun as the old zines were.

i know what you mean, but i'm still kind of old fashioned being a washed up middle aged kind of a man and still prefer to sit in me armchair with a coffee, ciggie, feet up reading a fanzine in print n ink format.

Guest allsystemsfail

Internet message boards, and online zines, while cool, can never replace paper zines. I love zines. Been buying them since the 1980s. Take a zine like MAXIMUMROCKNROLL for example - there ain't no substitute.