aberdeen-music

Help! I am also an HNC Sound Production Student.

amber wilson

I think this is an awesome idea and I don't think I'd be alone in saying I'd happily pay like 100 to record a few tunes on Balmedie beach or somewhere nice.

Instead of dishing out free podcasts though, I'd probably try and release a best of sampler every 6 months or so for like 10. If decent bands get involved I reckon it'd sell well and bring in the money!! You could also look into putting on gigs at weird locations, getting a bus on the go and make money from tickets sales.

I struggled a lot last year in my graded unit to try and make my studio financially viable and ended up having to put on gigs, do live recordings, turn my studio into a B&B for touring bands and run the studio to try and pay rent and loans for the gear I'd bought. If you chum up Tristan I'm sure he could show you a copy. I got an A in the end. Whoop!!

I think the idea is awesome personally. And would be willing to help if you needed any... Tho, I can only make pretty things, so I'm pretty useless

The idea reminds me of seeing a live session of Cast of the Capital / Trapped in Kansas [i think] last year at either Rockness or TITP, where they did a live session on guitars and bass in a caravan

I havent read the thread properly, so I may be repeating previous points, but a good idea would maybe do acoustic, or 'live lounge' esque style. Using acoustic instruments, bongos, various hand held percussion instruments

As for paying for the podcast, I think a better idea would be using advertising on the website. For example, google adverts, where you can place the ads wherever you want and you get money dependant on how many people click on your website.

You could also look into sponsorship?

Thanks love, yeah I was aiming for a whole "black cab sessions" kind of live lounge thingy where touring artists/bands would come aboard and play something unique on "The bandwagon" or I would travel to their hotel room etc then I would upload a monthly podcast and have a youtube channel. I've been struggling with how to make it work financially but the advertising is looking like a winner, aswell as possibly having small ads on the podcasts themselves Spotify stylee. x

• 1 month later...

I quite like the idea but the music industry is in a very bad way just now and there is no spare cash for this kind of thing. The biggest problem is that music comes under the category of 'peoples spare cash' which due to the recession means there is no spare cash. It looks like things are about to get a lot worse for the next 3 or 4 years too.

could be a good idea as long sa the bands involved have a good fan following. however, not may would pay to get access to these session "artifacts". if they r signed bands, im sure ul be needin the recordin company's permission b4 u actually start recordin any sessions. it could be steered into sumthin like a platform for upcomin bands to get noticed on.