aberdeen-music

Ageing Rockstars

waltz

That was a good read - I saw Ringo Starr on Loose Women the other week and he's beyond embarrassing! Still trying to be funny and doing that fucking peace sign, got tetchy cos all the loose slappers wanted to talk about was the beatles whilst he wanted to talk about his new album that few cunts went out and purchased. As they usually don't with any new Starr material.

That was a good read - I saw Ringo Starr on Loose Women the other week and he's beyond embarrassing! Still trying to be funny and doing that fucking peace sign, got tetchy cos all the loose slappers wanted to talk about was the beatles whilst he wanted to talk about his new album that few cunts went out and purchased. As they usually don't with any new Starr material.

Watching Loose Women eh...quality TV there Del :) At least Ringo was getting paid to be on it...watching it is another matter:laughing:

On the subject though, I don't think rock stars are any different to old people of any entertainment vocation footballers, film stars etc. There's some who retain dignity whilst others go OTT for attention and lose reality. The problem is that there are limited new stars to take away the reliance on the nostalgia of those icons which still dominate. Look at the heavy rock scene with Iron Maiden, AC/DC, Metallica still the headliners and crowd pullers but still using the now stale and cliched formula that got them there.

in my defence when I get chronic insomnia I sometimes watch them loose women (its repeated in the wee small hours along with that cunt jeremy fucking kyle) on the ropey old tv in the bedroom that only picks up 3 channels, its more often than not a good cure for insomnia!

was expecting a ribbing for admitting to viewing such a programme :)

Got front row tickets for Mark Knopfler at the SECC tomorrow, and although I know he's not everybody's cup of tea I do think that he has handled the ageing rock star thing perfectly.

He disbanded Dire Straits when he realised that it was too big and too silly and went about quitely but very successful forging a solo career based entirely on the quality of his new material rather than hype and harking back to past glories (every time a new Stones album comes out it's "the best since Some Girls/Exil on Main Street etc", when in fact they are always shit).

He still plays some Dire Straits classics like Sultans of Swing etc but it's remarkable that he can be selling out the SECC and playing a week at the Albert Hall with a show that consists mainly of post Straits solo material.

You have to say he's on the right track musically with his Alison Krauss/T-Bone Burnett collaboration though, and his insistence that the Led Zep reunion was a one night only affair.

Very true - he/they could have cashed in big time, so kudos to Percy for not going down the nostalgia route.

I wonder what the musical sweet spot in terms of age is? Teenagers aren't cool contary to popular belief, they form bands like Brokencyde or spend all their time growing shit looking long hair and fapping over Metallica too much to make good music. James Murphy's just disbanded LCD Soundsystem at 40, Alan Vega didn't start Suicide until he was 33 and Scatman John didn't have a hit untl he was 52, and they all rock over London.

I guess it maybe comes down to lyrical content and audience? Blink 182 and The Offspring all looked pretty dumb pretty quickly, but there's something terrifying and incredible about aging '77 Punks. Old guys who are still in bands without doing the whole 'I'm a teenager paaaaaarty ' or deciding to spend their twilight years making African folk-skiffle are great. There's something that makes it okay for Iggy Pop to do insurance adverts, like he's just went "Fuck you, I made 'The Idiot' and 'Raw Power', I owe you nothing."

Axl Rose was looking fat, tired and washed up last time I saw footage of G n R... talk about flogging the name for old rope...

And those two cunts out of Queen - May and Taylor... Freddie has been dead nearly 20 years and anything using the Queen name is just tarnishing its reputation. Give it up, you look like a couple of embarrassing old uncles at a wedding! At least John Deacon kept his dignity intact.