aberdeen-music

Fopp moving to Belmont Street / Union St corner

ragudave

nope' date=' i never, what was it like?[/quote']

the tables were wobbly. the seats were large, soft and green. the music was great (near it's end I once spent an evening drinking there while the staff played a cd of disney songs. all the while a parade of head to toe bling was walking past to the westwood gig next door, was a surreal night) and the staff and customers all friendly. And the drink offers were pretty damn good as well. It was the first pub I ever went to in Aberdeen and it was a beery home for years.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

some interesting points here but i tend to agree with Biz. sadly you have to face facts that neds make money for the majority of pubs and clubs. yes in an ideal world we could move drakes, moshulu and retro rebels and stick them in belmont street to create a cool alternative street. enjoy what youve got here, more than enough gigs and alternative clubs to keep you satisfied. one thing many people forget is that those poor bastards are merely trying to run a business in a very competitive market.

Dave' date=' out of curiosity, do you ever get the urge to walk up to some of the folk who hang around One-Up (you'll know who they are) and say:

"Wake up, this isn't High fucking Fidelity?"[/quote']

haha do you ever ask yourself why the "cool kids" stand there. If i bump into a friend who is waiting for another friend outside one up then I will speak to them. Then more people come and everyone is speaking to each other. I dont know anyone who stands at one up for no reason at all apart from meeting someone/speaking to friends. Your constant bickering about it is very boring.

i practically lived in the wild boar when i was 17/18. used to go there after college to do some 'work' and have a coffee and a cake and there'd always be someone i knew there. order some chips at about 6 then start drinking around 7. funny how i failed college.

twas a grand place though. a good mix of hipsters and people who just liked a comfy seat and a nice bit of cake. hipsters are funny, you can laugh at their clothes and how cool they think they look.

biz min, the chips in that chip shop are minging! i've never had a good portion in there *fnar*

and hobbes, you have no idea how accurate that film/book is. *sigh* if i have to make another fucking list of my top 10 album covers from the 90's or something i swear i'll kill. i mean i don't like living like a cliche, but they'd obviously done their homework on sad record shop workers who are far too anal for their own good. the clientele i absolutely can't speak for. wouldnt' want to offend anyone. :)

Guest scott cs.

i had my very first pint in the Wild Boar was kinda disappointed to see what it as like when it was all done up.

in regards to Fopp moving, it can only be a good thing for customers, no?

Guest tv tanned
haha do you ever ask yourself why the "cool kids" stand there. If i bump into a friend who is waiting for another friend outside one up then I will speak to them. Then more people come and everyone is speaking to each other. I dont know anyone who stands at one up for no reason at all apart from meeting someone/speaking to friends. Your constant bickering about it is very boring.

where in THAT statement did I mention 'cool' kids?

And given that I have seen the photos of you at various parties, and have seen you at gigs, what the fuck makes you think I would class you as cool?

where in THAT statement did I mention 'cool' kids?

And given that I have seen the photos of you at various parties' date=' and have seen you at gigs, what the fuck makes you think I would class you as cool?[/quote']

haha but everyone knows I am the definition of cool;). Seriously though i put cool under " " because it was what you said in an earlier statement I wasnt meaning that I am cool myself although you can't judge who is cool merely by their looks. If that was the case you my friend would be the scum of society.:)

I think it would be a bit "overkill" having 3 music shops practically next to each other. Fopp is in my opinion a shop which sells cheap albums that I would not normally buy and trys to tempt me with some semi ok CDs for reasonable prices. Basically, if I am on Belmont Street I would head to One up regardless

Guest tv tanned
haha but everyone knows I am the definition of cool;). Seriously though i put cool under " " because it was what you said in an earlier statement I wasnt meaning that I am cool myself although you can't judge who is cool merely by their looks. If that was the case you my friend would be the scum of society.:)

what's with this would?

I am the scum of society.

one up is an easy meeting place, but i wouldn't hang around it for any excessive length of time unless said person i was meeting was late. belmont street is home to the beautiful mountain, an absolute gem of a place for lunch, and the belmont cinema, and the belmont hut who do the best chips and gravy this side of heaven. that said, i was also deeply saddened by the wild boar's ''new look'', i LOVED the old place.

I had my 21st birthday in the Wild Boar - an ace evening had by all, before heading to The Palace for Disco 2000. Noostalgia indeed...

OneUp is now my favourite record shop, as each successive visit to the West Nicolson branch of Avalanche has been more and more dissapointing. Used to be so ace...

As to the Belmont street situation - I leave this city in a mere 13 days, so my opinion is really becoming irrelevant.....

Guest ForbiddenFruitcake

aw man, yeah, i believe the first time i went to a pub (without having a meal with the rents and all that) was to the old wild boar. what a place! the seats were so ace, even though you had to squash in and the tables were tiny and always broken. i guess the great thing about it was that you always met someone new, because everyone was squashed in together. but now its just crap...

i agree with everyones opinions about having all the 'alternative' places on belmont street, but i think its quite goo dhaving everything spread out like we have, otherwise we'd have no reason to go anywhere but belmont st and miss other things we might discover on the way

and as for fopp moving, i think it would be a very good idea, because i'd be going there for different stuff from one-up, it would just save me the journey, and condense my record-buying into one small area (i usually go round them all before buying something) :p

in reference to hog in glasgow they have a hmv and virgin right next door to each other on the pedestrianised bit of of argyll street and where the fopp on union street is there is pretty much a hmv across the road from it.

As for fopp being competition for One Up, i think the main reason there will be competition will be with new releases as both have them cheaper than hmv and virgin.

And also the wildly boaring was indeed far better before the revamp.

also heard a club was interested in it. hope that doesn't happen' date=' there's enough shit clubs and pubs round belmont street already. does anyone else think the council have completely arsed belmont street up? it had the potential to be a fucking brilliant alternative street like a mini-camden or byers road but has been overrun by theme bars and clubs. shame they can't turn buildings into more community art spaces or encourage shops like retro rebels to move there.[/quote']

To be fair, the council has got very little to do with it. Legally, they can only stop a business moving in to any location if there is a sound planning or licensing reason for it.

If you do otherwise, the applicant just appeals, theres a planning inquiry and the development goes ahead anyway.

I mean, look at The Priory, the council spent years and most probably a fortune going back and forth to appeal after appeal and inquiry after inquiry trying to stop that.

Yes, it would be great for Belmont Street to be like a mini Byers Road, but if its only theme pubs and identikit bars that are actually applying for planning and licenses, the council is on to plums.

Same goes for encouraging shops to move there. The Council doesnt own the property, so it has absolutely no say in who it gets sold/leased to.

If there IS this great demand for Belmont Street to become some sort of alternative centre, which is an appealing idea ... then we've got to demonstrate that by voting with our feet and with our wallets, rather than expecting the council to wipe our arses for us.

there was a programme on BBC1 the other day that highlighted how the licencing laws / planning permissions had been relaxed (by labour) in the last 5 years, and the floodgates opened for pubs / bars / nightclubs to take over defunct buildings (churches etc).

I think the programme concentrated on leeds or somwhere in middle england, they had something like 600+ bars in 1 square mile.

It's all to do with the tax they generate on the sale of alchohol...funny that, eh and here was me thinking they were just trying to premote a friendly family atmosphere in town centres...

I want to live in Barcelona...

the council owns more than you think.

it's not expecting the council to wipe our arses for us, they're the fucking planners. it's their job to plan a city's layout and to plan it appropriately. if the council would take a harder stance on licensing and planning applications there wouldn't be so many shit theme pubs in the first place. they are perfectly entitled to lay down conditions for a planning application(i believe the only reason the priory actually went ahead was because it was originally aimed at over 25's) which restrict the type of building in a specific area and no appeal can stop that. i'm sure someone who has an architectural qualification or indeed a planning qualification would be able to confirm or crush that, but i'm fairly confident that's correct.

they're elected for a reason and that's to represent the population in theyr'e wishes and desires and in a responsible manner. they get paid a large amount of money with benefits for doing this so don't let them off the hook.

Guest highroller

dont worry about it Camie...Tanned is always like that. He has a whole complex thing about people who he thinks are "cool" and not themselves. he needs to stop acting like a bitter twisted old man. Even though he is younger than me, you really wouldnt think it due to his "fuck all the kids" attitude...

i miss the old boar. i spent every free period i had in 6th year at school, sitting downstairs, constantly looking at the feet coming down the stairs to see if it was someone you knew. and it was always busy so i don't understand why the owners thought a trendy makeover would be worthwhile. from what i've seen, it's never as busy anymore. and there's no atmosphere.

the best thing i ever saw on belmont street was the van full of raw doner being delivered to the kebab shop. patrick boo was with me at the time at his look was a combination of horror and fascination.

Guest tv tanned
dont worry about it Camie...Tanned is always like that. He has a whole complex thing about people who he thinks are "cool" and not themselves. he needs to stop acting like a bitter twisted old man. Even though he is younger than me' date=' you really wouldnt think it due to his "fuck all the kids" attitude...[/quote']

you wouldn't think you were older than me with your constant juvenile whining, pretty boy self obsession and jailbait bird.

Bit early for a midlife crisis innit?