aberdeen-music

Fopp moving to Belmont Street / Union St corner

ragudave

Guest highroller

haha juvenile whining...hmm, im not the one who fucking moans all the time. Why dont you just come out and say "these kids dont know music, in my day therapy were good and terrorvision were the biggest british rock band..bah humbug!" old man!

thanks for calling me a pretty boy...thats ace.

It wouldnt matter to me whether my gf was 17 or 30...jailbait is 15 and under you moron...she is 17.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tv tanned

I know that jailbait is 15 and under.

FYI - Therapy are still good, better than most of the turgid shite on the go at present. Tell you what gorgeous, you make me a mix tape of all the 'modern' music I should be listening too, since I evidently haven't grown out of listening to the bands I liked when I was at school (although most of em were a hell of a lot more 'adult' than the stuff on the go now) and I will listen to it and see what I'm missing out on.

Better to give it to Mel to pass on, I wouldn't want to have to resisit the urge to ruffle your hair...

Guest highroller

oh when i snapped your wrist, that would help you resist the urge. im kidding everyone...

to be honest man, is there a point? Id make you a mix cd..or are you still on tapes...early nineties style ;)

Would you even bother with it...i really dont think its worth my time...you wouldnt get out of your head while listening that "this is bens music...must not like must not like...!"

Guest tv tanned

no, I'd approach it with an open enough mind.

Feel free to put it on CD, If I don't enjoy it I can put my beer bottles on it to save marking the table...

BING!

Congratulations, welcome everyone, welcome once again to , the SLAG ZONE.

as you can see, it doesn't take long for a serious discussion to turn into a childish slagging match.

In the red corner, we have, Mr Hobbs, and the Blue Corner Mr HighRoller...

as we can see, this thread will now disintegrate, and all the people who were having a decent conversation will tail off, leaving the grand Prize Slagging Match to continue for a few hours, only stopping when the thread is bumped tot he 2nd page....

DING DING!, seconds away, round 4 (is it ?)...

Mr Roller, over to you...(I'd advise bringing his mum's sexual preferences into call, bestiality usually works a treat...)

GO!

Guest tv tanned
BING!

Congratulations' date=' welcome everyone, welcome once again to , the SLAG ZONE.

as you can see, it doesn't take long for a serious discussion to turn into a childish slagging match.

In the red corner, we have, Mr Hobbs, and the Blue Corner Mr HighRoller...

as we can see, this thread will now disintegrate, and all the people who were having a decent conversation will tail off, leaving the grand Prize Slagging Match to continue for a few hours, only stopping when the thread is bumped tot he 2nd page....

DING DING!, seconds away, round 4 (is it ?)...

Mr Roller, over to you...(I'd advise bringing his mum's sexual preferences into call, bestiality usually works a treat...)

GO!

don't be so fucking pious.

Guest highroller
don't be so fucking pious.

nahh you know what lepeep is right...it is a fucking joke how most threads turn that way.

ill make that cd and get it to you.

later.

Guest tv tanned

actually I think today's special is Steak Pious...

In fairness, it had died down before you waded in with your 'make fun of the children' post

anyway, let's get this back on topic.

I don't see why it can be a bad thing that two very good music boutiques will be in close proximity.

At the end of the day consumers have a choice, and if they exercise it one way or the next it is entirely their choice.

I always feel that Belmont street is a jekyl and Hyde street.

it's ace, near "cafe culture" during the day, and when the market is on, it's like a slice of holiday...

but, when the clock strikes 8...it's like MJ's "thriller", with all the burberry, teddy fitshisface and polo sport peeps come out from their lairs. shambling around like drunk zombies.

I'm all for segrigation when it comes to violent drunken arses invading what used to be a decent, mellow (I'm not saying Violence free) area.

I don't think there is anywhere else left in aberdeen for a mellow(ish) night for people of a less "money orientated" lifestyle...

Guest tv tanned

as someone who chooses to sidestep being a grotesque stereotype, I've spent plenty time in the company of 'alternative' types and 'burberry/teddy smith/polo' types.

I can honestly say I've never encountered more or less trouble in either group.

On the other hand, I've found the folk who would have 'traditionally' occupied Belmont Street to be a lot less welcoming and friendly when I go places.

as someone who chooses to sidestep being a grotesque stereotype' date=' I've spent plenty time in the company of 'alternative' types and 'burberry/teddy smith/polo' types.

On the other hand, I've found the folk who would have 'traditionally' occupied Belmont Street to be a lot less welcoming and friendly when I go places.[/quote']

really? i've found the opposite. unfortunately in my experience the stereotype holds nicely. i have lots of friends who always go to 'trendy' and 'mainstream' bars and clubs populated by burberry types and those of a shirt wearing nature and have consistently found them to be threatening, intimidating and violent places. on my last visit to bud bar we spent 20 minutes there while a drunk buffoon consistently elbowed me and my gf while dancing at the bar. no amount of elbowing back would stop him and we eventually moved on and in fact left my group of friends to go to henry j beans(my friends were going to jumpin jaks which i will no longer even set foot in) where we found everyone having a good time and a happy jovial atmosphere and we instantly cheered up. this was not a one of occurance but a regular one. i now refuse to go out in stonehaven where i live because i'm sick of fights. i hated walking home to my old flat on a saturday or friday night because of the amount of drunken lads who would try and start on me or bump into me or threaten me i.e sample encounter:

*walks past the street with the taxi rank and slots of fun on it and looks up it to see how big the taxi queue is*

gang of drunk men: "what the fuck are you looking at?"

me, a little drunk but not too bad: "um, the taxi queue"

and i walked away very fast.

belmont street ain't much better these days. the priory is a horrible terrifying place and slains is just shit. tk's is too bright and yoof orientated. and they're all full of wankers. ma's is still okay but it's expensive. chi bar is quite nice though and dead cheap. and drummonds is okay but on a saturday night is horrible. too many assholes in there as well.

i'm a gentle guy who just wants a quiet drink in a relaxed and happy atmosphere, is that too much to ask?

as someone who chooses to sidestep being a grotesque stereotype' date=' I've spent plenty time in the company of 'alternative' types and 'burberry/teddy smith/polo' types.

On the other hand, I've found the folk who would have 'traditionally' occupied Belmont Street to be a lot less welcoming and friendly when I go places.[/quote']

I was in the priory once (and once was enough!), someone spotted someone they didn't like, and chucked a lit fag into his hair.

I've seen slaggs fighting over a spilt drink, who's mans who's etc...

I don't think I ever witnessed that sort of culture in the Wildboar (probably all too stoned to start a fight).

I wish I could share your fortune in avoiding nights from hell.

I rarely come into town anymore, because belmont street has disintegrated at night (in my view)

Guest tv tanned

well, my brother and his mates could be described as 'trendies' and I've been out with them plenty and not had much trouble.

I remember being in the Palace, and there was always a bunch of complete knobends who always wanted to start a 'moshpit' to Teen Spirit. I recall being knocked into the girl I was out with, and her chipping her tooth as a result.

I've never come closer to getting into a fight in town than that night.

This isn't to say I haven't seen fights and the like, but any person with a drink in them has the potential to cause trouble. Regardless of the clothing they wear and the music they listen to.

Guest highroller
really? i've found the opposite. unfortunately in my experience the stereotype holds nicely. i have lots of friends who always go to 'trendy' and 'mainstream' bars and clubs populated by burberry types and those of a shirt wearing nature and have consistently found them to be threatening' date=' intimidating and violent places. on my last visit to bud bar we spent 20 minutes there while a drunk buffoon consistently elbowed me and my gf while dancing at the bar. no amount of elbowing back would stop him and we eventually moved on and in fact left my group of friends to go to henry j beans(my friends were going to jumpin jaks which i will no longer even set foot in) where we found everyone having a good time and a happy jovial atmosphere and we instantly cheered up. this was not a one of occurance but a regular one. i now refuse to go out in stonehaven where i live because i'm sick of fights. i hated walking home to my old flat on a saturday or friday night because of the amount of drunken lads who would try and start on me or bump into me or threaten me i.e sample encounter:

*walks past the street with the taxi rank and slots of fun on it and looks up it to see how big the taxi queue is*

gang of drunk men: "what the fuck are you looking at?"

me, a little drunk but not too bad: "um, the taxi queue"

and i walked away very fast.

belmont street ain't much better these days. the priory is a horrible terrifying place and slains is just shit. tk's is too bright and yoof orientated. and they're all full of wankers. ma's is still okay but it's expensive. chi bar is quite nice though and dead cheap. and drummonds is okay but on a saturday night is horrible. too many assholes in there as well.

i'm a gentle guy who just wants a quiet drink in a relaxed and happy atmosphere, is that too much to ask?[/quote']

a post of perfection...couldnt agree more.

I remember being in the Palace' date=' and there was always a bunch of complete knobends who always wanted to start a 'moshpit' to Teen Spirit. I recall being knocked into the girl I was out with, and her chipping her tooth as a result.

[/quote']

Quite frankly, if you knew they 'always wanted to start a moshpit' then you should have been wise enough to get the fuck out of the way, don't you think...?

The tables in the Wild Boar back in the day were formerly slaughter house cutting boards. That's why they curved in the middle' date=' to drain the blood :up:[/quote']

or it might have been because when they bought them they only varnished the top and not the bottom and when it dried it contracted the wood and caused a curve. twas something like that anyway. my old flatmate worked there at the time.

the council owns more than you think.

it's not expecting the council to wipe our arses for us' date=' they're the fucking planners. it's their job to plan a city's layout and to plan it appropriately. if the council would take a harder stance on licensing and planning applications there wouldn't be so many shit theme pubs in the first place. they are perfectly entitled to lay down conditions for a planning application(i believe the only reason the priory actually went ahead was because it was originally aimed at over 25's) which restrict the type of building in a specific area and no appeal can stop that. i'm sure someone who has an architectural qualification or indeed a planning qualification would be able to confirm or crush that, but i'm fairly confident that's correct.

they're elected for a reason and that's to represent the population in theyr'e wishes and desires and in a responsible manner. they get paid a large amount of money with benefits for doing this so don't let them off the hook.[/quote']

They can zone areas for particular types of use, but that doesn't solve the problem of theme pubs over other licensed premises.

Both the planning Committee and the Licensing Board (which is, technically, a court) have to work within the legislation handed down from above. If they go beyond that, their decision is simply reversed on appeal.

Frustrating, but there you go.

or it might have been because when they bought them they only varnished the top and not the bottom and when it dried it contracted the wood and caused a curve. twas something like that anyway. my old flatmate worked there at the time.

Oh. Well, that's what I heard:D

They can zone areas for particular types of use' date=' but that doesn't solve the problem of theme pubs over other licensed premises.

Both the planning Committee and the Licensing Board (which is, technically, a court) have to work within the legislation handed down from above. If they go beyond that, their decision is simply reversed on appeal.

Frustrating, but there you go.[/quote']

Yep even if theme pub X cannot get a new site they can quite easily buy an existing pub - for example both Ma Camerons & the Prince of Wales are owned by small to medium sized chains...

On the point of Belmont St not being rowdy a few years back - the worst pub on BS is the Belmont Bar which has been there for ages. Its like a slice of Hadden St / Market Street cut and pasted into a different part of town. Been in there twice and its got a musty threatening druggy alcoholiday environment - 3 punters were asleep when we went in. Twas scarier than Rabbies...

Dave

Guest tv tanned
Quite frankly' date=' if you knew they 'always wanted to start a moshpit' then you should have been wise enough to get the fuck out of the way, don't you think...?[/quote']

yes, because their needs supercede mine...

I pretty much used to remain on the edge of the dancefloor to avoid such occurences, but on occasion even that wasn't enough.