aberdeen-music

Wild Boar, what happened, what is replacing it?

freddie

This is all very confusing. Hands up who's agreed to meet someone in the hogshead and turned up to the wrong one? It's the sign of a true aberdonian. Is one of them not a clothes shop now? What's the old schoolhouse now?

Yep, that's happened to me. This is why sensible folk who refer to the Hog's Head on Little Belmont Street as the Old School House.

Fingers crossed that the new Wild Boar may be a pub that I'd actually want to drink in.

This is all very confusing. Hands up who's agreed to meet someone in the hogshead and turned up to the wrong one? It's the sign of a true aberdonian. Is one of them not a clothes shop now? What's the old schoolhouse now?

This is what happens when people refer to a brand of pubs rather than the actual pub name.

The original Hogshead was called The Old Town School, I worked there when it was shiny and new. Hogshead was a brand of pubs owned at the time by Whitbread, in amongst their stable mates Brewer's Fayre, Beefeater and others. The Hogshead branding was very prominent, probably more prominent than the actual pub name, compounding the problem of people referring to it as the Hogshead (which at that time was fine as it was the only one). No-one called it the Old Town School, it was a plethora of alternatives (including the Old School House and other distortions of it which used to really tick me off).

Then RSVP appeared. Again, no worries, different names. Unfortunately for one reason or another, the RSVP didn't work and when it got turned into a Hogshead, they omitted to give it its own name? Coupled with the prominent Hogshead branding, it was a recipe for confusion.

Meet you in the Hogshead! WHICH ONE?

Hogshead brand got sold off. Now there's only one in Aberdeen, it's called Old School House and I still bristle every time I hear it. I prefer it when people just call it the Hogshead.

I liked it better when it was a shit hole and all the chairs were torn and it had that ace green sofa round the walls downstairs. It was never the same when it got all poncey.

They should change the Holburn back to the Flare & Firkin.

Wow, I forgot all about the Flare & Firkin! Had some cracking nights in there as an underager.

And I agree, the Wild Boar was much better back in the green sofa days. Went for food there a month or so ago and it was horrendous. And the atmosphere was shite. Bah.

juat has a wee look on the bellhaven website. seems they are completely swankying it up

The Wild Boar is an institution within Belmont Street Aberdeen. The Pub ( over 2 floors) is going through a major refurbishment moving stairs / adding windows / bar extension as well as an amazing redecoration throughout.

juat has a wee look on the bellhaven website. seems they are completely swankying it up

The Wild Boar is an institution within Belmont Street Aberdeen. The Pub ( over 2 floors) is going through a major refurbishment moving stairs / adding windows / bar extension as well as an amazing redecoration throughout.

This post just screams "Hi! I'm the new manager!!!"

Link for the lazy: Belhaven Pubs :: Kitchen Manager, Wild Boar, Aberdeen

One of my brothers mates works at the Old Town School and he was saying a few of the staff from there are going to be moving across when Wild Boar re-opens. Next time I see him I'll ask for a few more details.

So, how do you enjoy working for them? Although it might be an idea to learn how to spell your employer's company name...

Please tell me they aren't naming it "The Pub". If they are I will never set foot in it just out of protest at how fucking shit that name is.

Imagine all the drunken mobile phone discussions that will go on as mates try to locate each other...

"I'm in The Pub"

"Aye but which one?"

"The Pub!"

"WHICH ONE!"

Repeat ad nauseum...

Imagine all the drunken mobile phone discussions that will go on as mates try to locate each other...

"I'm in The Pub"

"Aye but which one?"

"The Pub!"

"WHICH ONE!"

Repeat ad nauseum...

There's a pub in Fraserburgh called the Pub which I swore I would never go into because of it's lame ass name. I still haven't. There's one called "The Boozer" as well. Which isn't AS bad, but is still bad.