aberdeen-music

Wild Boar, what happened, what is replacing it?

freddie

Noticed last night it was 'closed for reburbishment' but saw today on Jobsite Belhaven are looking a for a completely new staff for an " exciting new pub development".

Was the Wild Boar just not making enough for M&B.

Belhaven are opening a foodie pub by the looks of it.

I can't think of any bar chains that Belhaven own. I always thought of them as more of an old mannies' brand and I'm just wondering what sort of demographic they are targetting.

There are loads of food pubs/bars in Aberdeen now and clubs for that matter. How can they all stay in business?

I can't think of any bar chains that Belhaven own. I always thought of them as more of an old mannies' brand and I'm just wondering what sort of demographic they are targetting.

There are loads of food pubs/bars in Aberdeen now and clubs for that matter. How can they all stay in business?

Belhaven pubs are, on a whole, streets ahead of the shit state that the Wild Boar and the Holburn Bar have been in the last few years. Can only be a good thing that they've bought both.

They've got heaps of pubs in Aberdeen already. The Globe, Ma Camerons, Blackfriars, Stadia (or whatever it's called now), Charlotte Bar, The Prince Of Wales, The Northern Bar and a few others.

walked in one Thursday at 8, went downstairs, found seats. 2 friends went up and ordered food while we watched the seats/bags, they came back, we went up and were told they'd stop serving food. told them our friends had just ordered and that their menu says the serve till 9, and the manager basically said "well, we've stopped anyway."

pile of wank. used to be really good.

The old mannie bar at Ma Camerons has an amusing story. There's a bunch of little windows between the little corner bar and the corridor near the toilets and apparently each window has it's own name - named after the first person to have their head put through it during a fight. So I was told.

Cool! I never knew that.

Ma's used to be full of small rooms, but they made it into one big horseshoe and spoiled it.

You know the windows I'm talking about aye? My mate used to work there, it was him that told me that. I'm sure I read that Ma's began life as an inn where you could also buy grain and hay and shit like that, and the front of the building used to be a stables where you could tie up your horse while you got pissed.

You know the windows I'm talking about aye? My mate used to work there, it was him that told me that. I'm sure I read that Ma's began life as an inn where you could also buy grain and hay and shit like that, and the front of the building used to be a stables where you could tie up your horse while you got pissed.

I think there may be a picture up near the front entrance giving a brief history of Ma's. It was a few years ago I noticed it so may not be there now.

The old mannie bar at Ma Camerons has an amusing story. There's a bunch of little windows between the little corner bar and the corridor near the toilets and apparently each window has it's own name - named after the first person to have their head put through it during a fight. So I was told.

No, not strictly true.

I drink in there all the time, and a couple of windows are indeed named after some of the auld mannies, but for various reasons.

One of them is in recognition of one of the regulars putting his hand in his pocket and actually buying a round for once :up::laughing:

I know the windows, but didn't realise they had names.

I think the stables were through the back, where the 'main bar' is now, or so I was told by a mate of mine. He's a year older than me, and just made it into Ma's before they converted the stables when he was under-age drinking. When I went to Ma's first the back bit was the Black Bar, and had semi-decent live music, but my favourite area was on the left as you go in, past the fireplace and up the stairs. It didn't 'connect' to the Black Bar, and was a fine size.

The Prince of Wales is also now a good bit bigger than it was when I was an under-ager, having extended into the Littlewoods Pools office and into a back garden.

Bring back Bella's Bar, I say.:cheers:

I hear the plan for the Boar is to do something similar to Revolution but aspiring to cater for a more up-market clientle.

It strikes me that Belhaven have just opened The Abercrombie (formerly Stadia) on Union Street which again, seems to aiming for a more refined and older demographic. Perhaps they reckon it's the high-end bars where the money is.

I knew they were looking for people, I didn't realize they were dinghying Wild Boar completely though. Some friends and myself went in about three weeks ago on a Wednesday, and it was busy, but it was a horrible atmosphere. :(

I want Hog's Head back though, it was awesome for cheap food, was a second home for me at college.

I knew they were looking for people, I didn't realize they were dinghying Wild Boar completely though. Some friends and myself went in about three weeks ago on a Wednesday, and it was busy, but it was a horrible atmosphere. :(

I want Hog's Head back though, it was awesome for cheap food, was a second home for me at college.

the hogs head is still there, you mean rsvp. right? yea.