aberdeen-music

Shingles

JaseyBoi

Is that like Chicken pox for grown ups?

my question exactly, are you immune if you had chicken pox.

i always found having tonselitis really embarassing cos i always attributed that to children so i thought it was really lame how a childs bug could hurt like buggery

Is that like Chicken pox for grown ups?

Not entirely, when you have chicken pox as a kid, the virus lies dormant in your system but never goes away fully. Then as an adult if you're feeling run down or your immune system takes a battering it can flare up again, but as shingles - basically your torso is covered in really painful blisters, you're completely drained of energy and you can get bouts of depression from it. It's not contagious though, you can't catch shingles or chicken pox from someone who has shingles, and you can't catch shingles off someone who has chicken pox.

my question exactly, are you immune if you had chicken pox.

i always found having tonselitis really embarassing cos i always attributed that to children so i thought it was really lame how a childs bug could hurt like buggery

Quite the opposite, you can only get it AFTER you've had chicken pox!

• 1 year later...

Well nearly 2 years later guess what i have again....Fuck fuck fuckity its saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaare like...This time its attacked my right side and my neck...have no VOLUNTARY power of my right arm and i have major twitches in my neck and head....I honestly look like a mental case (well more of).

So lucky I got shingles as a kid. Which is rare apparently. I didn't get run down or anything. I was at school every day and apart from being a bit itchy and having to put cream on 3 times a day, I was fine. I got them across my back and round my side a bit.

Erm, are you sure that wasn't chickenpox?

• Upvote 1

It's not contagious though, you can't catch shingles or chicken pox from someone who has shingles, and you can't catch shingles off someone who has chicken pox.

Sort of - technically shingles isn't contagious but the virus which causes it certainly is. Shingles is caused by the varicella zoster virus, the same virus that causes chickenpox. It's a type of herpes. This virus is very easily transmitted by someone suffering from either chickenpox or shingles, as it is in the pus in the blisters and gets transmitted either through skin contact or through the air. And once someone has the virus, it lies dormant in the body forever and never dies. So once you've got it, you can then go on to develop chickenpox (if you've never had it before) or shingles (if you have).