aberdeen-music

Roller derby!

Lemonade

Scotland's first ever roller derby tournament takes place in our fair city next weekend (22-23 May) at the Beach Leisure Centre. Thought some of you might be interested in it.

6 teams competing over two days, featuring the Granite City Roller Girls, Glasgow Roller Girls, Dundee Destroyers and Auld Reekie Roller Girls.

Could be good fun, could be nonsense, who knows? But there will be girls on roller skates knocking the shit out of each other :up: and it has 235 confirmed guests on Facebook.

Welcome to Facebook | Facebook

Granite City Roller Girls

Who's up for it then?

24806_429019114011_180856799011_5301860_8226208_n.jpg

are their any images of these roller girls? are we talking big bruisers here?

Have a look for yourself - Granite City Roller Girls

the 15 ticket price is putting me off.

could be swayed if it's hot girls knocking the shit out of each other, rather than butch girls.

maybe hot, butch girls...?

15 is pricey like, I'm thinking of just going for one day for 8. In saying that, it's running from 9.15am - 5pm, and I don't know if I can sit through 8 hours of anything without getting crushingly bored, so I'll probably only go for the afternoon!

Fancy making it sunday afternoon and maybe having a few pints after?

I'll definitely be there on the Saturday, supposed to be going along with Nev then going to the Moorings afterwards for Darth Elvis, but if it's good and not a total snoozefest I might go along on the Sunday as well.

Why does it take 2 days? Surely it doesn't take that long to knock some girls over?

There's two groups of three teams. The three teams in each group all play each other, (each match takes about an hour I think). The two top teams go into the final and the two second placed teams go into a third / fourth place playoff. The group matches are on the Saturday (6 matches in total) and the playoff and final are on the Sunday.

This may not be correct information by the way.

Right on! OK here you go, straight from the Facebook!

Roller Derby finally hits Aberdeen! Highland Fling - Eventbrite

The Granite City Roller Girls present the first Scottish Roller Derby Tournament featuring teams from the Auld Reekie Roller Girls, Dundee Destroyers, Glasgow Roller Girls, and of course your hosts.

It's gonna be a fab weekend of derby and partying. If you've never been to Aberdeen before I can't think of a better excuse for a wee visit!

We look forward to seeing you there :)

Update: Groups announced

Group1:

Irn Bruisers (GRG)

Cannon Belles (ARRG)

Northern Fights (GCRG)

Group 2:

Twisted Thistles (ARRG)

Maiden Grrders (GRG)

Rippin Kittin's (DD)

*Please be advised that while there will be seating available it is first come first served and you may need to sit on the floor or stand...so we recommend bringing a cushion*

Approximate running times:

Saturday 22nd May

Doors open 09:15

09:45 Irn Bruisers v Northern Fights

11:05 Twisted Thistles v Rippin Kittin's

12:25 Irn Bruisers v Cannon Belles

13:45 Twisted Thistles v Maiden Grrders

15:05 Cannon Belles v Northern Fights

16:25 Maiden Grrders v Rippin Kittin's

Sunday 23rd May

Doors open 13:15

13:45 3rd place play off

15:45 Final

*Please note on the Sunday there will be road closures and restrictions around the beach area due to the BH10K. We will forward details of these when we have them from the organisers*

GCRG

xx

Email us on info@highland-fling.co.uk

WTF is a roller derby? Does it involve dildos? I imagine it involves dildos.
So, is it just lasses skating around, barging each other over? Like a demolition derby, but people instead of cars? Or a Battle Royal on wheels...

From my very limited understanding of the rules, there's 5 girls on each team, one "jammer" and four "blockers". They are all skating in the same direction on an oval track. The 8 blockers skate away and the jammers start a few yards behind. The jammers then have to try and get though the pack. For every opposition player the jammer overtakes she gets a point for her team. However it's a full on contact sport and the blockers are there to try and take out the opposing jammer, by shoulder barging / hip blocking them etc. to take her down. And simulataneously they try to free a path for their jammer through the opposing pack of blockers by leathering the other blockers out of her way. Seemingly it gets pretty brutal

It looks like this:

800px-TreasureValleyRollerGirlsVsWasatchMidnightTerror.jpg

Here's a selection of Aberdeen's finest:

4425043091_920d776ede_o.jpg

I'm sure one of them posts on here, I remember having a conversation with her about roller derby.

From my very limited understanding of the rules, there's 5 girls on each team, one "jammer" and four "blockers". They are all skating in the same direction on an oval track, and the "jammer" goes out in front, while the other 4 stay in a pack. For every opposition player the jammer overtakes she gets a point for her team. However it's a full on contact sport and the blockers are allowed to tackle the opposing jammer anywhere between the knees and the neck to take them down. And simulataneously they try to help their jammer through the opposing pack of blockers by leathering them as well. Seemingly it gets pretty brutal

That's alot more rules than I expected. I thought it'd be as straight forward as the result of going up to the Off Licence, and telling the mink in the tracksuit that his Staffy looks like a cunt.

I'll definitely be there on the Saturday, supposed to be going along with Nev then going to the Moorings afterwards for Darth Elvis, but if it's good and not a total snoozefest I might go along on the Sunday as well.

The things I do when the football season's finished... Should be a laugh, like!