aberdeen-music

All you aberdeen-music scenesters are a right bunch of c...

Bigsby

I liked both of these, guitars and harmonies sound great.

Matty's Blues probably grabbed me a bit more on first listen (I had a bit of a problem getting it to play first time round, but I think that's probably just my computer), some nice lyrical hooks, made me want to immediately listen to it again, which I did! Thumbs up from me anyway :up:

I liked both of these, guitars and harmonies sound great.

Matty's Blues probably grabbed me a bit more on first listen (I had a bit of a problem getting it to play first time round, but I think that's probably just my computer), some nice lyrical hooks, made me want to immediately listen to it again, which I did! Thumbs up from me anyway :up:

Interesting, thanks for the feedback, I had thought that Dead on the Road would be the catchier of the two so that's interesting to hear.

I had some problems with Reverbnation too, may shift them to Band Camp when I get the chance. :)

...ritics hopefully, lets hear your views, constructive or otherwise, on the two tracks I just uploaded. :up:

Dusty Valentino | Aberdeen, UK | Country / Americana | Music, Lyrics, Songs, and Videos | ReverbNation

Dead on the Road sounds akin to Grant Campbell, which is a good thing, so I enjoyed listening to that. Not so keen on the other one, Matty's Blues. Maybe just needs another listen, which I will give it cause it is definitely listenable.

I liked 'Dead on the Road' best, the intro guitar work reminded me of some soundtrack or other, canna recall what though. I found the more reverby guitar clashed a wee bit with the rest, seemed a tad loud or something but that may well be my PC speakers. Well recorded though is that a home recording?

I liked 'Dead on the Road' best, the intro guitar work reminded me of some soundtrack or other, canna recall what though. I found the more reverby guitar clashed a wee bit with the rest, seemed a tad loud or something but that may well be my PC speakers. Well recorded though is that a home recording?

No, it's a homo recording.

Ha.

But yes, Boss BR-600. Thanks for your comments. :)

The guitar playing is very good, especially the opening lick of Dead on the Road. Great tone too. Didn't like the vocals though. The voice and the harmonies were good, but I wasn't too fond of the accent.

I know what you're saying, I wish I could sing it in Doric but that's just the way it comes out. It's an American art form I suppose.

Very pleasant. And pleasant in a good way as in it would make good music to chill out to, Dead on the Road in particular. I prefered DOTR but Matty's Blues had a nice Dylan feel to it.

It might just be me but I'd like to hear the acoustic guitar a bit more in DOTR. I found the vocals overpowered it a bit and I thought it was quite an interesting guitar part that got a bit lost in the mix.

Interesting, thanks for the feedback, I had thought that Dead on the Road would be the catchier of the two so that's interesting to hear.

I had some problems with Reverbnation too, may shift them to Band Camp when I get the chance. :)

Dead on the Road was my favourite of the two. Very good work though,loved the guitar playing.

It might just be me but I'd like to hear the acoustic guitar a bit more in DOTR. I found the vocals overpowered it a bit and I thought it was quite an interesting guitar part that got a bit lost in the mix.

This is useful, I just mixed it today and had a concern that the vocal was too high in the mix, will probably go back and re-do it. Thanks.

I really enjoyed both of these- lovely tasteful guitar playing and nice vocals. I'm impressed by the production too- never expected that little Boss unit to be capable of such good results. A friend and I have been working on stuff not a million miles from this for a wee while but had to resort to live recordings after losing all patience with a Fostex multitrack.

I've given both of them a few listens now and probably favour Matty's Blues but both are very listenable. Looking forward to hearing more!

This:down: It is very good though! I really wanted to like it, but just not something that takes my fancy i'm afraid.

The guitar sounds fantastic.

That's OK, I'm pleased you listened though. You can't like everything, for some reason I just can't work out sludge or Fugazi.

Thanks in general for all the comments about the guitars, the acoustics (and vocals) were recorded using an SM-57, the electrics were put through a Line 6 Pocket Pod, except the Silvertone (arpeggios panned hard right and left on Matty's Blues) and the bass which were straight into the Boss. The guitar effects on the Boss were actually pretty decent but the Pod was a bit better in most cases I felt.

Havign heard you do mamy different styles through the years, i definitely think this suits your playing and vocal style the best. I really liked 'Dead on the Road' and thought it was an excellent recording, nice to see something stylistically a bit different on Ab Music too, I look forward to hearing the rest.

Havign heard you do mamy different styles through the years, i definitely think this suits your playing and vocal style the best. I really liked 'Dead on the Road' and thought it was an excellent recording, nice to see something stylistically a bit different on Ab Music too, I look forward to hearing the rest.

Thanks Stuart, you still in management? ;)

Not my cup of tea at all. Like John and Phil said, it sounds good. Though I've no clue worth a fuck about country music really, so I don't know if it's up there as balls-tighteningly amazing, or just solid song writing and solid playing.

But aye, it's solid song writing and solid playing.

Oh, and since Trigger said it, I thought it might have just been me, but I think the vocals are a little too high in the mix as well. I like vocals to sit "in" the music, but thats prob cos of the music I listen to, which maybe doesn't have as much emphasis on the vocals/lyrics.

I think I'm probably yakking on a bit now. I'll fuck off.