aberdeen-music

Retro games you have/still play

Has anyone got a copy of Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain for the PS1? That was a fucking belter and Kain was some cheil. The necromancer Mortaneous had the best name of any character ever too.

My favourite games on the old Amiga were Striker, Street Fighter 2 and a game where you are a ninja rabbit. I cannot remember the name of the latter however.

Personally I missed out on the Nintendo/Sega stuff and went straight from an Amiga to a PS1, then a PS2 and now my flatmetes Xbox 360.

My favourite PS1 games were Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy 7 & 8, Resident Evil 1 &3 and Tekken 2 & 3. Resident Evil 3 was so fucking scary. That big nemesis fanny kept coming out and scaring the poo out my bum and Jill was a total whore.

Has anyone got a copy of Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain for the PS1? That was a fucking belter and Kain was some cheil. The necromancer Mortaneous had the best name of any character ever too.

My favourite games on the old Amiga were Striker, Street Fighter 2 and a game where you are a ninja rabbit. I cannot remember the name of the latter however.

Personally I missed out on the Nintendo/Sega stuff and went straight from an Amiga to a PS1, then a PS2 and now my flatmetes Xbox 360.

My favourite PS1 games were Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy 7 & 8, Resident Evil 1 &3 and Tekken 2 & 3. Resident Evil 3 was so fucking scary. That big nemesis fanny kept coming out and scaring the poo out my bum and Jill was a total whore.

Every one of those PS1 games :) except Blood Omen. I've got Blood Omen 2, Soul Reaver 1&2 and Legacy of Kain: Defiance tho.

As for Moonwalker.... NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Every one of those PS1 games :) except Blood Omen. I've got Blood Omen 2, Soul Reaver 1&2 and Legacy of Kain: Defiance tho.

As for Moonwalker.... NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

The Blood Omen plot summary from Wikipedia:

The game features a story of deception, betrayal and manipulation of the main character. Kain, a nobleman in the world of Nosgoth, is murdered by assassins and offered new life as a Vampire by the necromancer Mortanius to take vengeance. Kain kills his murderers, but Mortanius convinces Kain that they were mere pawns and that the real perpetrators can be found at the Pillars of Nosgoth, which protect Nosgoth from destruction. There, the ghost of Ariel, the former Guardian of the Pillar of Balance, tells him that the humans guarding the Pillars from decay have gone insane, and that they must be killed for the Pillars to be saved.

Kain embarks on a quest to kill the guardians and visits their fortresses, gaining numerous powers in the process, and often encountering strange and deranged characters, like the Oracle, which tells him of the Nemesis and tells him to seek the aid of Vorador -- a powerful vampire. After eliminating several more guardians, Kain learns that an army commanded by the Nemesis -- a corrupted king once named William the Just -- is on the brink of conquering Nosgoth. Kain tries to neutralize this threat using a Time streaming device -- which he found in a cathedral in the city of Avernus -- to go fifty years back into the past, and kill the young King William. He succeeds, but in the altered history, the murder of William at his hands sets off a genocidal crusade against all vampires, rendering him the last of his kind. Kain discovers that he has been manipulated into changing history by the Guardian of Time, Moebius, posing as the Oracle, whom he finally manages to kill.

At this point, Kain encounters the two remaining guardians, Mortanius, and Anacrothe the Alchemist, fighting. Anarcrothe is killed by Mortanius and Kain challenges him, believing he is the last guardian. After defeating him, Mortanius turns into a monster, who is revealed as the author of the murder of Ariel and Kain as part of a plot to destroy the pillars.

After defeating the monster, Kain learns that he is the last guardian, the guardian of the Pillar of Balance. He is given two choices: sacrifice himself, restore the land, and free Ariel while condemning vampires to extinction, or refuse the sacrifice and let the pillars fall. In the series canon, Kain chooses the latter path, concluding with the epiphany that vampirism is in fact a blessing, and vampires are dark gods who serve to "thin the herd."

Never got into the other ones really. I didn't like that Raziel chap and his glowy eyes and it digressed so much from the plot of Blood Omen.

I just remembered another belter though (on the PS1): Soul Blade. That was fucking ace and had the best intro of any game in history:

EDIT: Taki is a babe and I reckon she'd bone me.

Never got into the other ones really. I didn't like that Raziel chap and his glowy eyes and it digressed so much from the plot of Blood Omen.

I just remembered another belter though (on the PS1): Soul Blade. That was fucking ace and had the best intro of any game in history:

EDIT: Taki is a babe and I reckon she'd bone me.

Blood Omen 2's the continuation of Kain's pre-Soul Reaver story, and is quite good. Story of the final one's pretty amazing tho.

YUS! Got Soul Blade as well - series later renamed Soul Calibur. Regarding Taki boning you... oh dear...

I was playing GTA 3 last night on the ol' PS2. My last saved game was from 2004, is that long ago to count as retro yet?

Dug out my GBA while I was finising off moving flat last night, had the cartridge for the orginal game boy version of Pokemon Blue in there, might give that a whirl tonight.

Yup, knew you'd be into this thread. It's only a matter of time before you get a Virtual Boy, isn't it? :)

My collection spans Wii, DS, GBA, Gamecube, N64, SNES, Mega Drive and ZX Spectrum (fucking hell, 8 consoles!). All in good working order. Not a huge amount of games for any of them, just the ones you can replay happily for life. Anything involving Mario and Link takes up the bulk of the Nintendo stuff. Right, time for a bit of "Legend of Zelda: The Oracle of Seasons"...

:up:

I would like a Virtual Boy! However next on my list is a Game Gear and an Atari Jaguar...

I would like a Virtual Boy! However next on my list is a Game Gear and an Atari Jaguar...

Jaguars are terrible. I owned 2 and they both died. The pins on the cartridge slot are so easily bent and broken.

I also still have a working Atari 2600. It's amazing. It's the older style one with the woodeffect panelling. Very sexy!

Right on. I wish I still had my Amiga. I was in my 9th season as Scarborough in the Career Mode, whilst every other kid was playing Sonic the Hedehog, or some ghastly eye ball piercing sprites.

SWOS is the reason I can't climb trees. Because I never went outside and even tried.

The best part about Virtua Cop was being able to shoot dead bodies for ages, almost like dead body keepy uppy. Although it was a risk, because other baddies would still be shooting at you.

There is little more satisfying than taking out bad guys in Virtua Cop via an exploding oil drum.

Well actually there's quite a lot that's more satisfying but it's pretty good...

• 2 weeks later...