aberdeen-music

Aberdeen Student Union?

does anyone know anything about/or has anyone ever played a gig in here? Cheers

The University of Aberdeen, shockingly, does not have a student union - there's the aforementioned 'Hub', which is essentially a canteen, a cafe, a Subway, and some shops that were previously in other locations on campus (a gigantic waste of money, essentially!). You might have more luck with RGU.

Played quite a few shows in the Dungeon when it existed. One of the biggest tragedies to befall the city of Aberdeen, the Aberdeen Union shutting it's doors.

Also played once in the other union that replaced Pivo down nex to Estimanet or whatever it's called now. That wasn't a great show though but still fun. That no longer exists now either.

I remember when I was still at school, having to hassle 'real' students to sign me into gigs at the Union. They'd make you do things like translate passages from 'Horace' just to prove you were worthy! Nowadays everybody's a student, and you're welcome everywhere, so long as you are able to projectile vomit at the end of the night.

Played quite a few shows in the Dungeon when it existed. One of the biggest tragedies to befall the city of Aberdeen, the Aberdeen Union shutting it's doors.

So, so many good memories of the place. Never played it but spent many a drunken hour in Sivells, The Dungeon, and the Neil Lounge (Elf). What's the latest on the site? Is it still empty or is it being "developed"?

Guest Gladstone
Isn't part of the building now a Starbucks?

Aye - that bit that is now Starbucks used to just be the back entrance they opened up to hoof you out onto the street at closing time wasn't it?

Damn shame that place closing.

I was an RGU student, but used to frequent the Aberdeen union fairly regularly because it pissed all over our union...

pretty much the closest thing to a union aberdeen uni has is the bar JP's on littlejohn street. i hear they have open mic nights and acoustic shows sometimes. i've always been quite keen to play there, it would be a bit like playing in an american movie (i'm pretty sure that's what they modeled the place on). dunno if that's any help!

The University Union was huge. Several times the size of the Palace. There were two huge bars both around 500+ capacity and two night clubs again 500+ capacity, also a cafeteria, and an arcade. Up until the mid 1990s you often had to queue to get into some of the places, it was heaving!

I sigh when I put on the rose tints, but when I take them off I remember that when I graduated and we went to the Union for one last hurrah, I really started to feel like I didn't belong there any more. A sad epiphany.

There were a lot of good times though, and ultimately one has to be thankful for all the good times one can rack up in life.