aberdeen-music

Movie Sleuths

Oedo 808

Since I know there's a lot of movie buffs in here I had an idea for a thread to put our collective heads together.

I quite often remember scenes or details about movies years later but can't always remember what movie it was from or even who was in it. I'm going to give you the details I can remember in the hopes that some movie sleuth on here recognises it. Also, if you have any disjointed movie snippets in your head share them and I will do my best.

Film 1 (this one is really vague)

The first film I'm thinking of was an 80s movie with kung fu fighting action in it. The only thing I remember about it was that one of the characters was a washed-up ex-boxer/fighter. This black guy smoked cigars and was living in a caravan and I think there was something bizarre about him drinking his own piss and dropping cigar ash in the pan while he was cooking. He later used the pan to hit people with. I saw this when I was really young (mid 80s) so the details are understandably confused.

Film 2 (this one I have more hopes with)

The second film was late 80s but more probably early 90s teen movie drama centred around a spoilt rich kid who drove around in a sporty red car that was featured heavily. The role was of the type that would've suited River Pheonix. The plot was pretty standard teen Mrs Robinson type stuff but I think it was a bit better than most. There was an older guy in the film as well that I remember being a known actor. I keep on thinking of Richard Dreyfuss but I don't think it was him.

Bonus film:

I remember a movie poster in one of my friends bedrooms that had a guy with cotton buds in his mouth/nose. Does anyone know what movie that was of?

Since I know there's a lot of movie buffs in here I had an idea for a thread to put our collective heads together.

I quite often remember scenes or details about movies years later but can't always remember what movie it was from or even who was in it. I'm going to give you the details I can remember in the hopes that some movie sleuth on here recognises it. Also, if you have any disjointed movie snippets in your head share them and I will do my best.

The first film I'm thinking of was an 80s movie with kung fu fighting action in it. The only thing I remember about it was that one of the characters was a washed-up ex-boxer/fighter. This black guy smoked cigars and was living in a caravan and I think there was something bizarre about him drinking his own piss and dropping cigar ash in the pan while he was cooking. He later used the pan to hit people with. I saw this when I was really young (mid 80s) so the details are understandably confused.

The second film was late 80s but more probably early 90s teen movie drama centred around a spoilt rich kid who drove around in a sporty red car that was featured heavily. The role was of the type that would've suited River Pheonix. The plot was pretty standard teen Mrs Robinson type stuff but I think it was a bit better than most. There was an older guy in the film as well that I remember being a known actor. I keep on thinking of Richard Dreyfuss but I don't think it was him.

Bonus film:

I remember a movie poster in one of my friends bedrooms that had a guy with cotton buds in his mouth/nose. Does anyone know what movie that was of?

Number 2 might be the Rachel Papers. Dexter Fletcher.

Bonus film:

Number 2: License to Drive?

Here's another one.

The films looks to be set in 1950s America, and the opening scene has the teacher handing out grades and she's saying the grades aloud. C, not bad, D, better luck next time C-, perfect as always, A+, oh Jonny what happened? It turns out the film is set in a future dystopia modelled on the 1950s where averageness is lauded above everything else. Eventually the main character's persistent intelligence causes him to be taken out of the general population. In one scene he's watching a movie and asks "Who's that old guy playing King Lear" and a woman says "Oh, that's McCauley Culkin".

Film 1 could be AWOL (or Lionheart in the US):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lionheart_(1990_film)

Lionheart (1990)

It was more of a kids film.

Number 2: License to Drive?

That's not it either but I watched the trailer and now I want to see that one too! A young Heather Graham as well as Corey Feldman. Immense!

The film I'm thinking of was more of a drama.

Here's another one.

The films looks to be set in 1950s America, and the opening scene has the teacher handing out grades and she's saying the grades aloud. C, not bad, D, better luck next time C-, perfect as always, A+, oh Jonny what happened? It turns out the film is set in a future dystopia modelled on the 1950s where averageness is lauded above everything else. Eventually the main character's persistent intelligence causes him to be taken out of the general population. In one scene he's watching a movie and asks "Who's that old guy playing King Lear" and a woman says "Oh, that's McCauley Culkin".

Sounds like this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harrison_Bergeron_(film)

Could also be Pleasantville?

Nah the other one matches Bob's description especially with this bit of the film:

...Harrison Bergeron is one such case. He is a total failure in school, consistently receiving A's (C is the desired grade).

Nah the other one matches Bob's description especially with this bit of the film:

Yeah that sounds right. I remember having the same problem with that movie... saw it once and thought it was good but could never remember the name of it.

I'm still trying to think of the one with the red car in it. Got any more details you can remember Bob?

Harrison Bergeron is bang on! I remember really liking that film at the time, it took my by surprise cos it was on late at night and I just happened to catch it from the beginning not knowing anything about it.

Film with the red car. I think it was quite close to The Rachel Papers, similarly cocksure young teen in it fucking around. There was an action sequence in the car and an established actor as the father/mentor figure. Must've been set in New York or similar. Not holding out much hope for it.

I know you said you reckon the role would have suited River Phoenix, but are you sure he definitely wasn't in it? This sounds a lot like A Night In The Life Of Jimmy Reardon. It's got a pretty heavily featured red car and a definite Mrs Robinson scenario!

Harrison Bergeron is brilliant, not seen that in ages! Jimmy Reardon however...not so!

• 2 weeks later...

The first film I'm thinking of was an 80s movie with kung fu fighting action in it. The only thing I remember about it was that one of the characters was a washed-up ex-boxer/fighter. This black guy smoked cigars and was living in a caravan and I think there was something bizarre about him drinking his own piss and dropping cigar ash in the pan while he was cooking. He later used the pan to hit people with. I saw this when I was really young (mid 80s) so the details are understandably confused

Was this ''No Retreat No Surrender 2'' ? I remember that a fighter goes to China or somewhere like that and teams up with an out of shape, cigar chomping mercenary who lived in a caravan to save some ex flame of the hero's. Can't remember if the merc guy's black though.