aberdeen-music

Right... Atomweb... Speak to me!!

Rass

It seems that every couple of months i find myself up here asking the same question, so i'll ask one more time then i'll leave it coz i dont seem to get much positive response to these threads...

I'm currently working on Atomweb (have been for about 4 hours now) trying to get the damn thing more up to date. Now i notice it doesnt get very many hits these days (only 12% of almost 10,000 hits are returning visitors, yes i check these things), and most of you would rather come here than visit the Official Site, im not bitching dont worry, im still overwhelmed we get the response that we do, i just want to know from you guys, the people who care, a) if theres anything putting you off visiting the site? and b) what i can do as your faithful webby to make it more appealing to you guys!

Now i appreciate that a lack of updates probably has alot to do with the dip in visitors (please let me know if this is the case, it will not surprise me atall!) for about a year i was getting increasingly bitchy e-mails from one Atomite asking that i update more often, so i am aware that its something that needs to be fixed. At the moment the site is being temporarily hosted on other webspace until we get a couple of space issues sorted, so i personally dont have access to update it at the moment, im not making pathetic excuses as im sure you're all aware on a good day the site normally goes atleast 2 months without an update, but yeah, at the moment, it is a tad tricky.

Anyway, back to the point... what do you guys want to see on the site? At the moment, i'm gutting out the photo section, removing most of the pre-2002 pics to make way for some swanky new flash galleries, which will be easier and quicker to navigate, removing some of the old content, some of which was written over 3 years ago and is now utterly irrelevant, like the influences and biog sections, and of course there will be some major news regarding a certain album (Artwork/Tracklisting anyone?... if your very good, we might even give you an audio clip). Thats what im up to just now, incase anyone was wondering from my last update, the all new Atomweb v4 has been put on the backburner for just now perhaps until we get the album out of the way, give me some time to get some ideas together and get building.

So with all the old crap coming off and the site moving forward, what can i do to entice more of you guys back for a return visit?

The 'Fun Stuff' Section is still there awaiting some ideas, it'll prolly come down soon if theres no intrest, think of it as a blank canvas for you guys, i'm completely open to ideas here.

Now, assuming theres intrest in more regular updates, we do have to take into consideration, just being a local band, we dont really get up to too much, so unless you want updates every time erskine takes a shit, there will be a certain amount of time between updates, but if your intrested, i can do everything in my power to get it updated more like once a fortnight rather than 6 times a year.

Anyway speak to me guys, I could do with some idea-flinging to get some intrest up, if no-one's intrested thats completely cool, i just want to know what intrests you all, what you'd like to see up there and if anything that you'd like to be rid of.

Cheers!

-Rass

-http://www.blackatom.co.uk

Basically the reason I barely visit it now is because I've already read everything on it, I can understand that there mighgt not be a whole lot to update it with.

Firstly, I dont think you should get rid of any of the old pictures or old biog's etc (Im not sure if you meant you were permantely getting rid of them) but they are the history of the band, which is very important. I was amazed to see the very early pictures and read about how the band got started and the comments everyone had on eachother cos I didnt realise it went back so far. Even if that stuff isn't in the main "Bio" page, definately keep it, the more (good quality) content you have, the better.

Secondly, I'd like to recommend a good section on the new album, fair enough if you want to keep it under wraps until its released, but I'd would be good to wet our appetities a bit more, the sound clip(s) sounds like a sterling idea. I, personally, would have really liked to know about the recording process too, when you read big bands (like Metallica's) studio diaries and stuff its failry interesting, but I reckon reading that sorta stuff about the Atom woud be something I could relate to more because you guys are a local band who I've seen and come into contact on the boards (or approach when I'm drunk, which I've probably done). Plus, it could be valuble information for people who don't know anything about recording/getting an album done locally. Artwork/album listing on the site would be great and also a bit about the inspiration of each song/the general feel of the album, how its progressed from Out of Exile etc...as a suggestion.

I'd say the most important thing to keep updated is the gig dates, they should really be hot of the press, although I realise you've already got them listed so far... thats one of the reasons I occasionally check the site, to see if anything I havent heard about has been added.

The "Fun Stuff" section sounds....fun! Although it is hard to think of what to put in it and you certainly don't want any old filler to fill the website up with. Maybe a Black Atom quiz would be good...or some kinda "Guess the Atom member" or perhaps a "Which Black Atom member are you" like all the bloody threads going about in the Wasteland like "Which band are you...which Saved by the Bell Character are you". Nothing to complex really, just takes some image fiddling and a bit of HTML knowledge/research/copy and pasting ;)

Anyway, thats all i can really think of just now...hope that helps!

Ace! Input! Love it! right...

Firstly' date=' I dont think you should get rid of any of the old pictures or old biog's etc (Im not sure if you meant you were permantely getting rid of them) but they are the history of the band, which is very important. I was amazed to see the very early pictures and read about how the band got started and the comments everyone had on eachother cos I didnt realise it went back so far. Even if that stuff isn't in the main "Bio" page, definately keep it, the more (good quality) content you have, the better.[/quote']

Cool, thats understandable, as it stands picture wise, i have removed everything pre halloween 2002, the thinking behind this was for 2 reasons, firstly space... im really painfully out of webspace on the atom server and the thought was if we cleared a few galleries out it make make room for other stuff. Second, i think we just really wanted to keep the whole sorta band persona a bit more up-to-date, less of a trip down memory lane, but whilst writing this you have given me a brain wave. An Idea we had was to make the Biog section a band history of sorts, and replace it with a much shorter biography, this really would serve for people wanting a short idea on who we are (especially like professionals) and if theres need for more info they can be directed to the history section. Tho you made me think, perhaps i could put the old-school photos in with the history, thus not getting rid of them but keeping them out of the more recent photo section... damn thats a good idea... see what happens when i get some input!

Secondly' date=' I'd like to recommend a good section on the new album, fair enough if you want to keep it under wraps until its released, but I'd would be good to wet our appetities a bit more, the sound clip(s) sounds like a sterling idea. I, personally, would have really liked to know about the recording process too, when you read big bands (like Metallica's) studio diaries and stuff its failry interesting, but I reckon reading that sorta stuff about the Atom woud be something I could relate to more because you guys are a local band who I've seen and come into contact on the boards (or approach when I'm drunk, which I've probably done). Plus, it could be valuble information for people who don't know anything about recording/getting an album done locally. Artwork/album listing on the site would be great and also a bit about the inspiration of each song/the general feel of the album, how its progressed from Out of Exile etc...as a suggestion.[/quote']

Right, this is really my fault for not getting it underway sooner, i did have the thought last night to maybe create a microsite for the album... like everything you could possibly want to know under the same page, but with less than 4 weeks to go, i think i'm just going to resort to plan b. we weren't planning on leaving it til the release, the only reason i started working on it last night was for a full update on the album, but kinda got sidetracked. Coming in this update will be your track listing and artwork, then in a week or so there will be a much deeper insight into the influences behind the songs individually, i did actually start on a gig diary too, there was about three pages of it somewhere, but as there was more to do in the studio, it kinda fell a bit by the wayside, if theres intrest i may well see about digging it up.

The "Fun Stuff" section sounds....fun! Although it is hard to think of what to put in it and you certainly don't want any old filler to fill the website up with. Maybe a Black Atom quiz would be good...or some kinda "Guess the Atom member" or perhaps a "Which Black Atom member are you" like all the bloody threads going about in the Wasteland like "Which band are you...which Saved by the Bell Character are you". Nothing to complex really' date=' just takes some image fiddling and a bit of HTML knowledge/research/copy and pasting ;)[/quote']

All quality ideas man! i shall most certainly be looking into these!!

Thanks dude! you've definatly got the ol' creativity flowing again, much respect for taking the time!

but OI! the rest of you! just coz dayeth took time to talk to me doesnt mean your all off the hook!! Talk! ;)

Rass x

Guest Scorge Spike

Get Len to write more diaries, on the condition they don't turn into prog epics which take years to read and have 5 formatting changes per paragraph :D.....

'Doctor' a photograph?! Just what are you suggesting mr sticks? All photos of Erskine on this forum are obviously 100% genuine and unaltered in every way!

I'm only questioning the authenticity of the photographs that show Erskine outside and in his thong. Obviously, it would be impossible for someone of Erskine's stature to leave their home for fear of ridicule, coupled with the potential structural damage that such a venture could create. Along with the health risks associated with having that much 'junk in the trunk', I would offer the suggestion that these pictures have been 'adjusted' to give the illusion of Erskine outwith his natural habitat. It is a small mercy to be grateful for that Erskine has his position in the band. Now people just stop and laugh at him for being a bass player as oppose to the hideous chubby lover that he APPEARS to be in these shocking new pictures.

• 3 weeks later...