aberdeen-music

Curators album preview...

jon

I like it. :up: I expected by the name of your band something more pretentious - bouzouki, bongos and modified kitchen appliances played by men with beards and woolen cardigans or something. I wouldn't have liked that so thankfully it was way off the mark.

Well, there are nine more songs where that came from. If the mixing process doesn't kill us, there will be an album in the next couple of months.

Oh aye, I should say, I used to be a museum curator, hence the band name. No bouzoukis here!

I'm gonna shit on the parade a wee bit here, apologies for so as i know yer really happy with the tune Jon. Is there any reason you've gone with the almost 80s sounding kit? Really compressed snare with a really fat obvious reverb. Also the vocals is sounding quite aggressive, something i don't think has come across when i've heard you sing before. Have you sung it different, or is it the production? I feel i'd struggle to list to it for a whole album. I've been a fan of this song since you put that first live recording up and i just feel this incarnation of it has lost the charm it had before.

Sorry to be a dick.

You're not being a dick at all, don't worry! I can't comment on the drum sound, but as for the singing, that's just what I sang. There's a wee bit of reverb on it, plus we used an old mic, but other than that it's untreated.

I actually liked the things that Sam L4 didn't. I've never heard you before though so I don't know what charm has been lost. The aggresive edge to the voice seemed a little incogruous at first but I enjoyed that. As for the drum sound....well, Born In The USA is one of my favourite albums ever...

Cheers guys!

The version of The Brakes is quite different from the old recording. It's got almost a Bat For Lashes vibe to it. I'm a big fan.

To put things in context, there's a rough live recording from a gig we did the other week supporting The Primitives at http://www.turner-designs.com/mp3/curators_stereo_22_04_2010.mp3

State of Grace is second last I think, and you can hear that our live sound is not a million miles away from our studio sound, once you factor out the limitations of playing live with a tiny soundcheck etc. I reckon the record is pretty representative of us live, just with better production and the opportunity for me to play roughly 37 guitar parts ;)

Guest idol_wild

I think this new tune is really good and I'm with Shaki with regards to the production; it's certainly not what I expected at all, but I'm quite a big fan of a lot of eighties post-punk bands and the drums sound reminds me a little of the likes of The Chameleons, which is a drum sound I've always appreciated in the right context. And although your straight-up power-pop isn't necessarily the right context, I think it adds to the overall dynamic. But that's obviously personal taste.

This is not generally a branch of music I veer towards, but I'm a sucker for a good tune, and I find myself going back for repeat listens. :up: