aberdeen-music

Places to Eat

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, it was all a bit of a disaster -- never try and organise a dinner the same night as a gig! With all the faffing about regarding soundchecks etc. My folks went "see you later, we're off for a curry" and I ended up hastily grabbing a rather doughy pizza in Pizza Express. :(

Will be back up in July so will be looking at this thread again nearer the time.

Cheers folks!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Guest Gladstone

Good restaurant near Lemon Tree?

I'm looking for somewhere to take my Dad on Saturday night prior to going to a show at the Lemon Tree.

My Dad's not really into "funcy" food, so some decent pub grub would be ideal. He's a 68 year old, born and bred "New Deerer" - i.e. not particularly cultured shall we say - I don't think he'll ever have been in a Chinese / Indian type restaurant in his life, and I doubt he'd appreciate that sort of thing now to be honest. I don't even think he'd know where to start if I took him to an Italian!!

So - basically looking for some recommendations for places that serve a mean steak and ale pie, macaroni, cheese burgers, fish and chips, etc etc.

Close to the Lemon Tree or close to somewhere I can park the car. He's not incapacitated by any means, but a two mile walk to and from the restaurant wouldn't be great!

Cheers :up:

Guest idol_wild
I'm looking for somewhere to take my Dad on Saturday night prior to going to a show at the Lemon Tree.

My Dad's not really into "funcy" food, so some decent pub grub would be ideal. He's a 68 year old, born and bred "New Deerer" - i.e. not particularly cultured shall we say - I don't think he'll ever have been in a Chinese / Indian type restaurant in his life, and I doubt he'd appreciate that sort of thing now to be honest. I don't even think he'd know where to start if I took him to an Italian!!

So - basically looking for some recommendations for places that serve a mean steak and ale pie, macaroni, cheese burgers, fish and chips, etc etc.

Close to the Lemon Tree or close to somewhere I can park the car. He's not incapacitated by any means, but a two mile walk to and from the restaurant wouldn't be great!

I have always liked The Illicit Still for general pub grub. It's well priced and very close to The Lemon Tree.

Guest idol_wild
Blackfriar's on Castlegate does solid pub food. Typical Belhaven menu (almost identical to Ma's and The Globe).

Can't think of much else at that part of town. Does the Prince Of Wales do food in the evenings now? Think I heard someone say it did.

I have always enjoyed the grub in Blackfriar's actually. They used to do a rare venison burger. Worth a shot if it's still on the menu.

Does the Prince Of Wales do food in the evenings now? Think I heard someone say it did.

It does indeed, until 8pm. I hope someone else can back me up on this! Has anyone had a meal from there? I think I'm going to the Illicit Still on Thursday but if it's not too great, could always consider the Prince/Blackfriars.

Guest Gladstone

Illicit Still - I've eaten there a few times and always been decent, but checked out the menu, and I honestly don't think there's much on there my Dad would be keen on!

Shelley Lees is a good shout - I might just go there - probably a wee bit far for my old Dad to walk to/from the Lemon Tree but there's parking round about.

Blackfriars - yeah, I was thinking of that. Checked out the menu and it looks pretty much spot on for what I'm after, and just round the corner from Lemon Tree.

Prince of Wales - anyone eaten there? May check it out.

I used to have lunch at the PoW every Friday when it was the fat bearded chef. I was mighty confused the first time he asked me if I wanted 'jockies' with my meal. That's chips. Apparently. Proper thumb in the food type stuff. It was pretty tasty with a pint though. They have gone into 'pick a table and order at the bar for table service' type arrangements now rather than the old queueing and taking your chance if you get a table or not deal. I liked that better.

Guest Gladstone

School dinners - I just had a thought - all this nonsense from the likes of Jamie Oliver trying to make school dinners healthy. I was kind of all for it, but then I just cast my mind back to the school dinners I used to eat as a kid. We used to get chips all the fucking time, and fried fish, and hot dogs and shit like that.

We were all pretty healthy kids and fat kids were rare.

I don't think it's got anything to do with school dinners that all the kids are fat (all the kids aren't fat by the way, that's a massive misconception). It has got much more to do with the shite they eat between meals and the amount of time they sit on their arses playing computer games and shit.

Stop trying to blame the schools when it is 100% down to the parents.

Guest idol_wild

At school, I was given 1.50 per day (that was a decent amount back then) for a school dinner, but I'd spend that money on crisps, juice and sweeties in the morning and then go home and make hotdog and chips for lunch, because my parents both worked and were never in.

I was a fly fuck. And a fat fuck.

I used to get 1 a day off my Mum and spend it on 10 Regal. 90p. I would split my packed lunch with my mate and go to his house at lunchtime and have a bit of toast. And buy sweets at teh shop with my remaining 10p.

Healthy.

The paper shop I bought my fags in sold me that 10 Regal every day for a couple of years. Must have thought I was some remedial div.