aberdeen-music

Last night of Optimo

Guest Giles Walker

Guest Giles Walker

As i am sure most of you are aware, Optimo's final curtain was on Sunday night at the Sub Club.

I was gonna write a bit more about it, but tbh after the poorly attended 'last gig in Aberdeen' that was full of either old cunts moaning about either "it used to be way better" and "this is shit they should play the music i have grown to love in the time since i went to Optimo as a student" or young bucks saying things like "what is this old shitty music? where's the brostep?" I feel maybe it would be a bit of a waste of time.

Anyway this site archived the whole night (7 hours)

and this is a near complete tracklist of the songs that were played.

Thoughts etc?

I had an ace time that night. It's a real shame that it's finished. Only managed to get to the Glasgow night once but that was ace, they had live music to start which is cool for a club night. Gutted that I couldn't get down to the one in Sub Club the Sunday after the Aberdeen one.

Every city needs a bass heavy club so this is a real shame. Every time I've been in Aberdeen in the last few years i've tried to go to a night at Optimo. Nostalgia is a thorn in the side of most music venues, people always pine for the good old days no matter what. It's a vicious circle of never being satisfied.

People like Tez, Kenny, you Giles and other promoters of DJs/electronic artists have put in incredible work over the years trying to please a fickle audience and I for one take my hat off to them because it can't be easy. The problem with this kind of night is that it's not like a regular band gig where it can be half full and still a cracking gig. The dancefloor needs to be full. If there's too many wankers out to get as pilled up as possible it puts off regular punters (like me) who appreciate a skilled DJ and like a good boogie. I don't think there are enough of an appreciative audience in Aberdeen to keep the scene alive. I may be wrong in saying that but most times in recent years i've been to a DJ night in Aberdeen the crowd have been either non-existent or full of twats. (I'm not immune to the nostalgia bug either)

I used to really enjoy Optimo, we spent many a Sunday night at the Sub Club dancing like nobody was watching, I'm really sad to see it go. I was home at the weekend so missed the last one, which is a shame as that playlist looks incredible. I really hope Twitch and Wilkes get some new exciting project on the go.

It was definitely a fun way to spend a Sunday night and was responsible for many, many slow starts on Monday mornings. It appears that the folk at Hillhead Bookclub http://www.hillheadbookclub.co.uk /music.php were big fans of Optimo and it looks like they have guest DJ slots, so hopefully that might turn out to be a really cool venture.