aberdeen-music

Want to play up to 800 people?

Guest A.R.S. Promotions

In my opinion there's a time and a place for "classic rock" covers bands, and 9 times out of 10 it's usually in pokey, shitty little local pubs to older guys who couldn't give a fuck about listening to new music.

Some of the best gigs I've played have been for AGP, Teenage lust etc and it's because people attend these gigs to listen to new music and enjoy it. I'd rather play to 100 people who like listening to new music than 800 older guys who couldn't give a fuck.

You've totally pissed me off by belittling the hard work of promoters in Aberdeen. They take a risk by booking out of town bands and I respect them to no-end for doing this because I get to listen to some amazing live music. If all promoters in Aberdeen played it safe and booked shite covers bands 100% of the time the scene would be affa lame.

ps.

AC/DC are shit and a trained monkey could play their tunes.

• Upvote 1

In my opinion there's a time and a place for "classic rock" covers bands, and 9 times out of 10 it's usually in pokey, shitty little local pubs to older guys who couldn't give a fuck about listening to new music.

Some of the best gigs I've played have been for AGP, Teenage lust etc and it's because people attend these gigs to listen to new music and enjoy it. I'd rather play to 100 people who like listening to new music than 800 older guys who couldn't give a fuck.

You've totally pissed me off by belittling the hard work of promoters in Aberdeen. They take a risk by booking out of town bands and I respect them to no-end for doing this because I get to listen to some amazing live music. If all promoters in Aberdeen played it safe and booked shite covers bands 100% of the time the scene would be affa lame.

ps.

I was going to stay out of this but Are you calling me a trained monkey? i play bass in ab/dc and original bands.cause its all good fun!

I'm an older guy but I've much respect for most of the promoters in aberdeen and love new music, until now i liked the marionettes.

I've not learned bass over 20 odd years to be called a fuckin trained monkey by a fucker i dont even know.:swearing:

I was going to stay out of this but Are you calling me a trained monkey? i play bass in ab/dc and original bands.cause its all good fun!

I'm an older guy but I've much respect for most of the promoters in aberdeen and love new music, until now i liked the marionettes.

I've not learned bass over 20 odd years to be called a fuckin trained monkey by a fucker i dont even know.:swearing:

A trained monkey COULD play it

ONLY trained monkeys play it.

DIfferent, ducy?

• Upvote 1

Guest Motleyal

ps.

That's a fucking lie.

You need 5 trained monkeys to play their tunes.

Guest Motleyal

ps.

Runcie, tunk says you're a shite sound engineer and he too is a monkey that plays classic rock.

I didn't say that older guys lacked originality and apologise if that's how people read into my previous post.

From past experience all I'm saying is that I've found that the crowd who turn up to watch cover bands generally don't seem too enthusiastic about seeing anything new. I could and might be wrong, but I certainly wouldn't jump through hoops (BOTB) to play a gig supporting a covers band and I'm sure I'm not alone??

I may have overstepped the mark with my AC/DC monkey comment though. AB/DC are a good cover band and decent musicians. Totally not my thing though.

Tunk is entitled to his opinion of my sound engineering abilities. Out of interest though, which band of his have I mixed in the past??

This thread seems to be getting a bit too personal for some people and just seems to be going round in circles.

At the end of the day crowds that go to watch a covers band are looking for something different. They are usually a mixed crowd out for a bevvy and not giving a shit if Blues Deluxe are playing a Hendrix song in front of them or if the Marionettes are belting out one of their tunes.

If you go to the globe, you will see a good covers band playing but most of the crowd will probably be more interested in drinking and pulling birds!

If you go to the tunnels on a sat night then the crowd there will be having a beer and listening to a local original band enjoying it more than they would a covers band, They probably don't wanna see joe Bloggs up the road playing chasing cars by snow patrol.

Different tastes for different folk, If people don't wanna be creative and are playing in covers bands then fair play, I don't think they should be slated for it.They are either doing it to earn a living or cos its what they look forward to after a hard weeks work. Guys that play in original bands are doing it because they love creating their own music and playing to a crowd that enjoys listening to it. Theres probably not a greater feeling in the world when you write a song and it goes down really well to an audience.

If you put The Marionettes on at Revolution on a Saturday night and then a covers band playing Lady GaGa tunes or Razorlight tunes, who do you think would go down better?

No offence to The Marionettes but it would probably be the covers band as the crowd there on a Sat night would just wanna drink and hear background music. They would probably have lassies coming up to them asking for a Pixie Lott tune or something!!

and at the end of the day, people don't seem to like battles of the bands!!

• Upvote 2

This thread seems to be getting a bit too personal for some people and just seems to be going round in circles.

At the end of the day crowds that go to watch a covers band are looking for something different. They are usually a mixed crowd out for a bevvy and not giving a shit if Blues Deluxe are playing a Hendrix song in front of them or if the Marionettes are belting out one of their tunes.

If you go to the globe, you will see a good covers band playing but most of the crowd will probably be more interested in drinking and pulling birds!

If you go to the tunnels on a sat night then the crowd there will be having a beer and listening to a local original band enjoying it more than they would a covers band, They probably don't wanna see joe Bloggs up the road playing chasing cars by snow patrol.

Different tastes for different folk, If people don't wanna be creative and are playing in covers bands then fair play, I don't think they should be slated for it.They are either doing it to earn a living or cos its what they look forward to after a hard weeks work. Guys that play in original bands are doing it because they love creating their own music and playing to a crowd that enjoys listening to it. Theres probably not a greater feeling in the world when you write a song and it goes down really well to an audience.

If you put The Marionettes on at Revolution on a Saturday night and then a covers band playing Lady GaGa tunes or Razorlight tunes, who do you think would go down better?

No offence to The Marionettes but it would probably be the covers band as the crowd there on a Sat night would just wanna drink and hear background music. They would probably have lassies coming up to them asking for a Pixie Lott tune or something!!

and at the end of the day, people don't seem to like battles of the bands!!

Good post and Runcie's last is pretty much on the nail as well. I think we are talking about two entirely different audiences here and never the twain shall meet. There is little or no point in mixing the two as the majority of folks just aren't interested in finding new music outside of the normal mechanism - ie, the mass media. I played in a horrible little band (only band I can honestly say I was embarrassed to play in) a few years back that had a few paying gigs where we played both covers and original material. The punters were mildly receptive to the covers but totally uninterested in the originals.

Fuck, if I was to form a covers band, it would be to play some fairly obscure Swervedriver B-Sides that NO fucker would be interested in. Doubt that would get much of response past a rehearsal room! Still, it'd be a lot of fun I daresay, and there lies the appeal I suppose.

20 years experience is not really required in holding down the Cliff Williams role though is it, more like 20 days if you have strong enough hands and good timing.*

*And Powerage is one of my top albums of all time, partly because of the relentless 16ths, its still true though. And we're all trained apes(not monkeys), I'm no exception.

20 years experience is not really required in holding down the Cliff Williams role though is it, more like 20 days if you have strong enough hands and good timing.*

*And Powerage is one of my top albums of all time, partly because of the relentless 16ths, its still true though. And we're all trained apes(not monkeys), I'm no exception.

I totally agree with you, playing bass in an ac/dc tribute band is piss easy. i just took offence at being called a trained monkey/ape by someone i dont know and the 'suggestion' that older players have no originality. Mr Runcie appoligised, so all is well in the world again8-)

What a crock of shit!

I'm going to listen to WORMROT and think about having a BOTB grindcore special down at me grans.

I'll charge 1 at the door and I'll give out free soda and the bands all win the contents of the rubbish skip next door.

I'll call it F.A.R.C.E promotions.

• Upvote 1

On the Runcie sound engineering subject, I would have to stick up for him having had a large amount of compliments from fairly successful touring bands that he has done sound at for me at AGP. As a relatively new sound engineer I would far rather have Runcie do my shows than alot of the more experienced guys in Aberdeen and he is far better than a large percentage of those you find in other venues around the UK.

As per the whole argument about Tunnels and Drummonds having shit sound (from a previous thread), I would suggest its more the bands fault, hence why touring bands sound perfectly good in said venues and locals with lesser ability dont tend to sound so good - the old "cant polish a turd" comes to mind.

I have no idea who Tunk is or what band he is in though so dont mean him/them in particular.