aberdeen-music

Want to play up to 800 people?

Guest A.R.S. Promotions

Well if your music wasn't accessible you'd have come third wouldn't you, cause no one would have come to see you? So even if the old rock dudes couldn't make it, Shutterspeed in second place would get the gig.

I love the way certian people (in life, not just on AMF) rave on about how much better original music is, and that true talent and creativity is only involved around original music, then totally knocks a band who is putting heart and sole into everything they do!

I think Teabags' point is more looking at the layout aspect of such differing genres.

IF a grindcore band (or similar) were to enter your competition and "came 2nd" through crowd response, would they be guaranteed to get to play supporting "Aussie Pink Floyd" if the winners of the competition (who may have a suited sound for that support slot) could not manage - despite the fact that the chances are that 99% of the crowd that would willingly go to see the Aussie Pink Floyd act would detest the grindcore outfit - ?

---------------------------

My personal gripe with the battle of the bands is that, at the end of the day, it isn't just about the music (be it originality, technical proficiency, creativity, accuracy in playing covers etc. etc.), it's about how many mates you can bring through the door < thus - profit margin***.

That is the basic gripe a large percentage of musicians have with BOTB competitions: they work based on people being "offered a chance to x/y/z!!!" on the premise that they gather together a large quantity of people to cheer for them whether they were genuinely fantastic or utterly terrible.

To put it simply, a large number of my friends do not understand nor like the style of music I play. We're very good at it (in numerous aspects) but they still have their own taste. If they attended your competition and liked one of the other bands' style of music, they'd still shout louder for my band as they are there to support my band and help us to win. This is what I don't like. It isn't about any of the aspects of the music. I don't think it fair to say - in response to this paragraph - that my friends that would attend are in the wrong in this case as that is what the whole BOTB layout is based upon.

That's my take on it through experience anyway. It may not always apply, but it's a great possibility as it happens so often. Which is why I don't like the layout.

*** I don't mean that in that it will solely line you the promotor's pockets, but it'll cover for any costs incurred in venue hire etc.

Anyhow, best of luck with your endeavours. I hope it is beneficial in some way to all involved.

:)

• Upvote 4

Guest idol_wild
I think Teabags' point is more looking at the layout aspect of such differing genres.

IF a grindcore band (or similar) were to enter your competition and "came 2nd" through crowd response, would they be guaranteed to get to play supporting "Aussie Pink Floyd" if the winners of the competition (who may have a suited sound for that support slot) could not manage - despite the fact that the chances are that 99% of the crowd that would willingly go to see the Aussie Pink Floyd act would detest the grindcore outfit - ?

---------------------------

My personal gripe with the battle of the bands is that, at the end of the day, it isn't just about the music (be it originality, technical proficiency, creativity, accuracy in playing covers etc. etc.), it's about how many mates you can bring through the door < thus - profit margin***.

That is the basic gripe a large percentage of musicians have with BOTB competitions: they work based on people being "offered a chance to x/y/z!!!" on the premise that they gather together a large quantity of people to cheer for them whether they were genuinely fantastic or utterly terrible.

To put it simply, a large number of my friends do not understand nor like the style of music I play. We're very good at it (in numerous aspects) but they still have their own taste. If they attended your competition and liked one of the other bands' style of music, they'd still shout louder for my band is they are there to support my band and help us to win. This is what I don't like. It isn't about any of the aspects of the music. I don't think it fair to say - in response to this paragraph - that my friends that would attend are in the wrong in this case as that is what the whole BOTB layout is based upon.

That's my take on it through experience anyway. It may not always apply, but it's a great possibility as it happens so often. Which is why I don't like the layout.

*** I don't mean that in that it will solely line you the promotor's pockets, but it'll cover for any costs incurred in venue hire etc.

Anyhow, best of luck with your endeavours. I hope it is beneficial in some way to all involved.

:)

This is really well put and pretty much what almost everyone has tried to say so far, but failed.

So yeah, premium posting, sir.

What about if it was in the style of the X factor? or Britain's got talent?

I can't comment on a BOTB, i played in one back in the 90's, think it was organised by Bacardi and Northsound, and which was actually fixed. It was found out by several people that the judges (one, who was a Northsound DJ at the time) picked the winning band before the comp even started. This was just because the certain band had been around the scene for many years in the early 90's. I couldn't have cared as it was at the Lemon tree and I was just happy to be playing with my band at the time (was an original band).

No one really seemed to care about it or kicked off, the bill had about 5 bands I think but I must say that a couple of the up and coming younger bands, one who travelled from Edinburgh blew the winners off the stage. We found out by talking to the northsound guy over a few pints who actually admitted the winners were pre-picked just because they had been around for a long time and that they deserved it.

Never been in another one since

I can't comment on a BOTB, i played in one back in the 90's, think it was organised by Bacardi and Northsound, and which was actually fixed. It was found out by several people that the judges (one, who was a Northsound DJ at the time) picked the winning band before the comp even started. This was just because the certain band had been around the scene for many years in the early 90's. I couldn't have cared as it was at the Lemon tree and I was just happy to be playing with my band at the time (was an original band).

No one really seemed to care about it or kicked off, the bill had about 5 bands I think but I must say that a couple of the up and coming younger bands, one who travelled from Edinburgh blew the winners off the stage. We found out by talking to the northsound guy over a few pints who actually admitted the winners were pre-picked just because they had been around for a long time and that they deserved it.

Ooh, names please...

Standard.

It hasn't changed much since the 90s except the desperation of people to achieve even a moment of fame. If you play in a good band it is not necessary to do a BOTHB. The gigs flow freely. You can even organise your own events and get all the money yourselves!!!

Standard.

It hasn't changed much since the 90s except the desperation of people to achieve even a moment of fame. If you play in a good band it is not necessary to do a BOTHB. The gigs flow freely. You can even organise your own events and get all the money yourselves!!!

My band at the time were pretty shit like!! lol

I was just happy to play at it, I was young and niave. The winners were a damn good band but it was just a bit unfair with the organisation. the other bands were really really good. In fact am very suprised we got on the bill. There must have been a real shortage of bands that applied!

Guest Motleyal
Ha Ha Massie, check you skimming away with your tail between your legs cause your got burnt lol. You've been spending too much time round Al :)

Don't cut your nose off despite your face toolbag or davie will get you.

Guest Motleyal

I can vouch for ARS and say that Adrian put a lot of time, money and effort into the ABDC gig.

Regardless of how they go about scouting for bands, I'd recommend these guys as promoters.

Obviously they want to make some profit from their venture, but they are genuine fans of music and want to do build up a reputation to get some great bands up to the city. Everyone has to start somewhere and if tribute bands are the way to go to begin with then cest la vie.

Also, the reason that most people write and perform music is so it can be heard by as many people as possible. So why not use any avenue possible to get ur music heard? Big deal if your supporting a tribute band, it's an opportunity to get ur music out there to a crowd who may never cross your path again. Just play your balls off so the audience remember the support rather than the headliner.

It's more the method of getting on the bill I think that is the problem. The side issue of playing covers or original stuff is beside the point. What should be a consideration to the promoter is musical relevance between bands. BOTB is not the way to make a good line up which makes it look like an ulterior motive to make money. I'd rather see them put on some shows with local acts then ask the ones they like to join in with shows in bigger venues.

Guest A.R.S. Promotions
It's more the method of getting on the bill I think that is the problem. The side issue of playing covers or original stuff is beside the point. What should be a consideration to the promoter is musical relevance between bands. BOTB is not the way to make a good line up which makes it look like an ulterior motive to make money. I'd rather see them put on some shows with local acts then ask the ones they like to join in with shows in bigger venues.

Hi RockAustin, how many Promoters are in Aberdeen doing the same thing, doing pokey little gigs for local bands? And with all respect, no matter how much effort these Promoters make most of the events turn out to be disappointing, through no fault of there own!

ARS wanted to do something different. We want to be able to offer something different to the local scene, but it's gonna take time. Our plan is to get some decent size gigs on and build a reputation of doing things properly and having the Aberdeen scene talking about us in positive way. Our first event at The Forum was a massive success, and everyone who attended was absolutely blown away by what they saw and heard! Ok we had a good crowd pulling tool with ABDC, but we worked hard to make it a success for all concerned and it was! Until we have proved ourselves (Which we will), we're gonna keep going along our original plan route, and eventually it will pay dividends, not just for us, but hopefully for the Aberdeen music scene as a whole. Putting on a local original act will prove no benefit to ARS directly, we just thought it would be good to get a local band involved in what could prove to be very well attended gigs

On the battle of the bands thing, you know not everyone is going to agree to it. But, I'll be very satisfied if it works out and we succeed with our plans.

It's OK boys, you can stop stressing.

I've given it some thought and decided to call my Kitchen Cynics tribute act "The Bitchin' Mimics".

I was thinking 'Itchy Ring-ics' would work.

I'm still voting for ShutterSpeed though!

We should form a cover band that doesn't do any covers....that'd be fun.

(and I don't mean a pastiche band like The Rutles, or Dukes of Stratosfear).

How about 'Nearvana'?

Hi RockAustin, how many Promoters are in Aberdeen doing the same thing, doing pokey little gigs for local bands? And with all respect, no matter how much effort these Promoters make most of the events turn out to be disappointing, through no fault of there own!

ARS wanted to do something different. We want to be able to offer something different to the local scene, but it's gonna take time. Our plan is to get some decent size gigs on and build a reputation of doing things properly and having the Aberdeen scene talking about us in positive way. Our first event at The Forum was a massive success, and everyone who attended was absolutely blown away by what they saw and heard! Ok we had a good crowd pulling tool with ABDC, but we worked hard to make it a success for all concerned and it was! Until we have proved ourselves (Which we will), we're gonna keep going along our original plan route, and eventually it will pay dividends, not just for us, but hopefully for the Aberdeen music scene as a whole. Putting on a local original act will prove no benefit to ARS directly, we just thought it would be good to get a local band involved in what could prove to be very well attended gigs

On the battle of the bands thing, you know not everyone is going to agree to it. But, I'll be very satisfied if it works out and we succeed with our plans.

Best of luck to you and your endless enthusiasm, although I would suggest not belittling the 'pokey little gigs' in this city. It could give one the impression that you are a bit of a wanker, y'know?

Guest A.R.S. Promotions
Best of luck to you and your endless enthusiasm, although I would suggest not belittling the 'pokey little gigs' in this city. It could give one the impression that you are a bit of a wanker, y'know?

Sorry I didn't mean to belittle anything or anyone, that was not my intention at all. My point was that all of us that play have been involved with gigs where no-one has turned up, and I'm sure I'm not the only one that has been totally deflated by it.