aberdeen-music

World Snooker

Sam 45

The 'Higgins being done up like a kipper on vid' doesn't seem right to me TBH because there's nothing actually concrete on it, and when the reporter goes for the entrapment he looks like a scared virgin about to be deflowered.

Very typical of the vulture-esque behaviour of the Screws, and practically the only time snooker gets more than a passing mention on SSN, funnily enough....

Actually the more I think about Higgins explanation, the more it actually might be plausible. I mean if your in a hotel room in eastern europe and think you're dealing with the mafia, what the fuck would you do? 250 grand is nothing to Higgins money wise and always came across as a decent, respectable player. Would he really sacrifice his whole career for the sake of what is for him peanuts as he is a multi millionaire and would he really sacrifice his reputation in the game. if it was some shit player who'd hardly won bugger all it would make much more sense.

And if the paper has stitched him up, they should hold their heads in shame, the newspapers literally get away with murder. Having said that no smoke without fire and all that but I'm getting more convinced it's a cheap, nasty paper stitch up to shift copies.

Actually the more I think about Higgins explanation, the more it actually might be plausible. I mean if your in a hotel room in eastern europe and think you're dealing with the mafia, what the fuck would you do? 250 grand is nothing to Higgins money wise and always came across as a decent, respectable player. Would he really sacrifice his whole career for the sake of what is for him peanuts as he is a multi millionaire and would he really sacrifice his reputation in the game. if it was some shit player who'd hardly won bugger all it would make much more sense.

And if the paper has stitched him up, they should hold their heads in shame, the newspapers literally get away with murder. Having said that no smoke without fire and all that but I'm getting more convinced it's a cheap, nasty paper stitch up to shift copies.

In that case, wouldn't you have gone straight to the police or 'fessed up to the WPBSA when you got back to the UK just to set the record straight? Given that his manager was one of the WPBSA top brass, it was surely pretty easy for them to fix this before it ever went public.

In that case, wouldn't you have gone straight to the police or 'fessed up to the WPBSA when you got back to the UK just to set the record straight? Given that his manager was one of the WPBSA top brass, it was surely pretty easy for them to fix this before it ever went public.

yes thats a good point, just watched the video dunno what to think now! Maybe the greed of easy money got to him, I mean dont matter how much you earn you could always do with a bit more!

There's something not right about the whole situaation. I mean, why is this being leaked on the day of the world final? Sounds like someone hasn't paid enough hush money. Whether or not Higgins willingly accepted the money or not, there must be a reason it's been given to the media now. I predict a huge story that goes beyond just Higgins.

There's something not right about the whole situaation. I mean, why is this being leaked on the day of the world final? Sounds like someone hasn't paid enough hush money. Whether or not Higgins willingly accepted the money or not, there must be a reason it's been given to the media now. I predict a huge story that goes beyond just Higgins.

thats exactly how i feel about it!

Apparently it was to do with a new tournament but I didn't think players got involved in negotiations like that. He might have been niaeve and then saw the opportunity to make a quick buck.

In any case I think his career is fucked now, imagine the reception he'd get.

The fact that match fixing goes on doesn't surprise me, but I would be amazed if players negotiated these things themselves. Surely if you were doing this sort of thing you would send a go between.

good point.

I think a high profile player talking so openly about something that has already gotten other players banned for up to 8 years seems really odd. The way they were talking sounded like it was a movie script too. If it's just a straight forward case of Higgins being a complete moron in thinking he could get away with something like this then i'd be very surprised. There's gotta be more to this story. Was Higgins caught banging Hearns' wife or summat? Ir have the big bosses looked at how scandal have only fuelled the popularity of other sports (Golf Masters viewing ratings went up this year) and this is all just a PR stunt? Probably not.

I just don't know what to make of it all! but as was posted earlier if Higgins was in fear of his life and went along with what they were saying then why didnt he report it immediately when he returned to the UK? It's him not doing this which leads me to believe he knew exactly what he was doing.

I like conspiracy theories, the one about him banging Hearns wife is good :)

Meanwhile Robertson is kicking Dott's ass at the moment, the latter looking very lacklustre, long long way to go mind!

I just don't know what to make of it all! but as was posted earlier if Higgins was in fear of his life and went along with what they were saying then why didnt he report it immediately when he returned to the UK? It's him not doing this which leads me to believe he knew exactly what he was doing.

Who would he report it to? If I felt threatened by some shady individuals abroad and made noises to keep them happy and get the fuck out of Dodge it's not like I can go and report it to the local plod here in Britain.

Fair enough IF Higgins' excuse is the truth then with hindsight I guess he could have gone to the snooker authorities and make them aware of what happened, but you can easily see him chalking it up to experience and forgetting about it.

C'mon Robbo.

Nice little mid session sequence there with that journalist. Such an under-rated sport. There's so much more to it than putting balls in pockets and wearing waistcoats.

I've also quite enjoyed Ken Docherty's punditry. I presume this is his first year on the panel? Seems like a decent chap. If you've ever seen him in person, he has the body of one of those mini-footballers you used to get in the mid 90s. A head like an orange on a toothpick. It's quite incredible.

Doherty has done a bit of punditing before and is pretty good, they have given him and neal foulds more work (foulds is pretty rubbish though i think just as he was when he was playing) since easing the workload of clive everton who only commentates on the early rounds now.

The final day is about to start. As i'm feeling a bit ill today i plan on watching every single frame.

Me too although not ill! the rest of the world doesnt exist as far as I'm concerned! robertson sneaking ahead now 11-8.

I tell you whats getting on my tits is the commentators eternally harping on about century breaks, they're obsessed with them! I'm sure players are more concerned about winning frames than getting century breaks!

Willie Thorne is irritating me as always.

And there's a documentary about the 85 final right after the conclusion of the match.

Me too although not ill! the rest of the world doesnt exist as far as I'm concerned! robertson sneaking ahead now 11-8.

I tell you whats getting on my tits is the commentators eternally harping on about century breaks, they're obsessed with them! I'm sure players are more concerned about winning frames than getting century breaks!

Willie Thorne is irritating me as always.

And there's a documentary about the 85 final right after the conclusion of the match.

Yeah, saying that though, the break building in this final has been below-par. A lot of easy potts missed. My commentator gripe is when they were always talking about players who are 'blessed with great cue power'.

Did you see the highlights they showed from one of the old Whyte/Alex Higgins finals? Now that is some of the most impressive snooker i've ever seen played. The shots they were taking on and making were ridiculous.

I was watching the first session of today earlier, switched over to Eurosport for HD as BBC too stupid to think about that one, anyway the camera pans to Robertson's mum and the commentary team remark that it must be Dott's wife! she had the headset on listening to the BBC team and mouthed "thank you" to whatever they said about her.

I was watching the first session of today earlier, switched over to Eurosport for HD as BBC too stupid to think about that one, anyway the camera pans to Robertson's mum and the commentary team remark that it must be Dott's wife! she had the headset on listening to the BBC team and mouthed "thank you" to whatever they said about her.

Haha. They were just talking about how proud she should be and talked about her 12,000 mile journey.