aberdeen-music

Idlewild Celebration Thread (Splitting Up)

Christy

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Latest myspace blog from the band...still hope?

A note to clarify current rumours and a snidey wee NME article.

Hello everyone,

So there's been a bit of speculation flying about regarding Roddy's latest tour diary. The current situation is that we're working on our plans for the rest of the year, when these become more definite we'll be announcing them. What's certain is that there will be no more UK tours in support of 'Post Electric Blues' and there'll be a significant break/hiatus/rest before we'll begin writing another Idlewild record.

Thanks

Gareth

I never really got all the fuss about them really. Bought 'The Remote Part' because 'You Held The World in Your Arms' is a pretty great tune. Ended up getting the first few albums mega cheap second hand in One Up out of interest a few years back, they are OK but don't listen to them much.

I think I saw them live at the Princes Street Gardens Millenium party but I was KO'd pretty early doors on too much champers so don't recall much about them....

Guest idol_wild

They became a weak live band about 3 or 4 years into their live career. Pretty much exactly the same time as Woomble decided to try and sing. This is something he cannot do for a sixty minute live set and stay in tune.

Which is sort of sad.

They became a weak live band about 3 or 4 years into their live career. Pretty much exactly the same time as Woomble decided to try and sing. This is something he cannot do for a sixty minute live set and stay in tune.

Which is sort of sad.

The Loft gig and his solo gig at the Lemon Tree must've been an exception then.

I disagree with this.

They're live act definitely changed when Roddy started singing instead of shouting, but I've seen them do plenty of strong gigs since then and never heard any major problems with his tuning.

That Woomble solo gig at the Lemon Tree and the Secret is my Silence album were the best gig and album of the year (06?) imo.

Also; when they played Moshooolooo between Chrimbo and New Year a coupla years back they were superb.

Seconded.

For the record, they were outstanding at abc on friday. Finished with "Captain"-blew my mind. Idea Track was also played. Had such a great time.

Guest idol_wild
I disagree with this.

They're live act definitely changed when Roddy started singing instead of shouting, but I've seen them do plenty of strong gigs since then and never heard any major problems with his tuning.

The last time I saw them was at Moshulu around Christmas time 2008, and Roddy played the first four songs really well then just absolutely fucking lost it.

I recall seeing him sing sub-standardly at the Music Hall before that, too.

But some of the Idlewild gigs I have been to have been amongst my most memorable gigs ever attended. 1997 in Kef and 1998 (I think) at the Barrowlands supporting Ash. Idlewild just fucking clobbered me that night. It was very close to live music perfection.

They completely deserved all their success in every way but, for me, they went off the boil in the past few years. I still bought all of their albums, though. And will probably continue to do so if they continue to release.

The last time I saw them was at Moshulu around Christmas time 2008, and Roddy played the first four songs really well then just absolutely fucking lost it.

I recall seeing him sing sub-standardly at the Music Hall before that, too.

But some of the Idlewild gigs I have been to have been amongst my most memorable gigs ever attended. 1997 in Kef and 1998 (I think) at the Barrowlands supporting Ash. Idlewild just fucking clobbered me that night. It was very close to live music perfection.

They completely deserved all their success in every way but, for me, they went off the boil in the past few years. I still bought all of their albums, though. And will probably continue to do so if they continue to release.

I guess it's just subjectivity. I do recall him being on pain meds at the pre-new year gig because he broke his foot, maybe that had an effect? Still, I was there and I don't remember them performing badly.

That being said, I didn't see 90's idlewild, so I can't really compare to then.

In other news, I was walking down Sauchiehall street when Roddy Woomble ran across the road and asked me for a photo/autograph. I think the discomfort is evident in my pained expression.

RODDYOFWOOMBLE.jpg

I guess it's just subjectivity. I do recall him being on pain meds at the pre-new year gig because he broke his foot, maybe that had an effect? Still, I was there and I don't remember them performing badly.

In other news, I was walking down Sauchiehall street when Roddy Woomble ran across the road and asked me for a photo/autograph. I think the discomfort is evident in my pained expression.

RODDYOFWOOMBLE.jpg

You look like Sideshow Bob after a trim in that pic

That's a nifty coat Roddy has on. Looks like the fire-retardant under-boilersuit numbers we used to get offshore to keep us cosy.

Went down past his knees an' all.

RODDYOFWOOMBLE.jpg

Is he a big fan of yours aye?

Nice photae! :up: