aberdeen-music

Idlewild Celebration Thread (Splitting Up)

Christy

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest idol_wild

Some of their songs are amongst my most cherished songs ever, but I'm sort of glad they're considering calling it a day. It's about time. Although I feel every single album has some utter gems on it, they stopped being proper good when Roddy decided he wanted to absolutely ream Michael Stipe with his tongue.

Some of their songs are amongst my most cherished songs ever, but I'm sort of glad they're considering calling it a day. It's about time. Although I feel every single album has some utter gems on it, they stopped being proper good when Roddy decided he wanted to absolutely ream Michael Stipe with his tongue.

What? You don't like their early albums?

The folky era was my favourite. never was convinced by the REM years of the late 90s. Probably because I think REM are one of the greatest bands of all time

I have seen Idlewild more times than I can remember, supported them a few times and loved all their recorded output up to and including The Remote Part.

After that (post-Bob if you will), I just don't think they were firing on all cylinders.

I'll wallow in some serious nostalgia, but I think it's the right decision.

Idlewild are my favourite band of all time. Massive band for me. Huge, gigantic.

I love all their output, especially the first four albums. I also really enjoy Roddy Woombles stuff, and George Is Jones, etc.

I am so gutted. So fucking gutted it's unbelieveable. It's not the recorded output I'll miss as much, more the chance of seeing them live. Lost count of how many times I've seen them.

Well, booked tickets to see them in Glasgow months ago. Seeing them on Friday. Will be quite poignant I imagine.

Bit shocked actually. I thought they'd call it a day after their next album but oh well...

Fucking gutted

Shame as Post-Electric Blues is their best album for ages and boded well for the future, but if they're only doing it now to meed demand then perhaps it's as good a time as any to call it a day.

The Hope Is Important show at Tuts in 2008 was a bit special (100 BW show was great as well) and Idlewild have soundtracked a large part of my life so I wish them luck in whatever they do next. They may not have hit the same consistency with Warnings/Promises and Make Another World but both albums had some great tracks on them.

Roddy's solo/folk output has been pretty good so hopefully he keeps that up.

I'll always remember the show they had 3 years ago on the 27th of December at Moshulu.

Couldn't find a ticket for love nor money, I would have got one early on as usual but I was due to be away on the date, and only found out on xmas eve I would be in Abdn for the gig.

Standing outside windmill brae waiting to be picked up to go home, with no luck trying to score a ticket, about 6 hours ahead of the doors. This guy taps me on the shoulder, asking me for directions to Moshulu; it's only Colin fucking Newton!

Walk him to shulu and he asks if im coming and I explain my plight, and we exchange numbers and he says he'll do what he can...

2 hours later and a text comes through;

"You are on the guestlist +1, have a good night!"

What a legend. We spoke at the show too. People (well, one or two people) were looking at me like I was a God.

Great show too.

/story I repeat at every possible oppurtunity, including multiple times on this site.

Fuck :(

I'm glad I caught one of their King Tuts shows. I remember being a little upset that my friends wanted to see The Remote Part rather than the 100 Broken Windows night, because that album is and will always be one of my favourites. For me it was one of those albums you hear at a defining point in your life to the extent that it will always be important to you. However, after they rattled through all of The Remote Part I had such a good time I didn't mind. Then they played all my favourites from 100 Broken Windows in the encore. Probably just behind Sleater-Kinney for the best gig I've ever been to.

Long live Idlewild in the hearts and ears of those who loved them.

they will always have a place in my heart, one of those bands that I was into pretty early on and had seen them more times than I care to remember, I kinda fell away at the bob departure time and never really got back onto the saddle, their stuff up to that point is timeless though. One of my biggest regrets was not buying queen of the troubled teens on 7" for about 5 when I had the chance. I did have chandelier and satan polaroid 7"s which I sold to huntedbyafreak during a moment of skintness

remember seeing em in glow303 but the little discourage lemon tree show is, still to this day, one of the best gigs I ever went to. it was fucking electric and they were fucking relentless! IN THE WEST WE WHITEWASHED ALL OF OUR CHILDREN....

im sure I still have the red captain tshirt kicking around somewhere....

I think Post Electric Blues is easily their worst record, and I say that as one of the fellows who fronted the cash early. I just don't like any of it.

100 Broken Windows is the greatest indie rock record I have ever had the pleasure of falling in love with though.

Idlewild CDs have a habit of going walkabouts. I've had to buy '100 Broken Windows' about five times. I think I've still got two copies..

That album is cursed by how good it is; it either gets scratched to hell with overuse or it just 'goes missing' (pilfered). Phenomenal album.

I thought Post-Electric Blues was laughable. That 'Readers and Writers' tune sounds like a drunk Runrig squeezing one out.

Roddy's folk stuff is excellent. I hope he collaborates with Kris Drever again in the future, an undoubted genius.

That album is cursed by how good it is; it either gets scratched to hell with overuse or it just 'goes missing' (pilfered). Phenomenal album.

I thought Post-Electric Blues was laughable. That 'Readers and Writers' tune sounds like a drunk Runrig squeezing one out.

Roddy's folk stuff is excellent. I hope he collaborates with Kris Drever again in the future, an undoubted genius.

Agreed about 100BW, I have lost about 4 copies of that album.

I enjoyed Post-Electric Blues, not as good as their first four efforts but I still think it's a solid album and I thought "Readers and Writers" was a higlight, maybe even my favourite track.

Anyway, looks like Idlewild aren't splitting up and this hiatus isnt a euphamism but is in fact, just a break;

"So there's been a bit of speculation flying about regarding Roddy's latest tour diary. The current situation is that we're working on our plans for the rest of the year, when these become more definite we'll be announcing them. What's certain is that there will be no more UK tours in support of 'Post Electric Blues' and there'll be a significant break/hiatus/rest before we'll begin writing another Idlewild record.

Thanks

Gareth"