THOMAS TRUAX + THE KITCHEN CYNICS + FLAXMAN

Monday 10th May 2010

The Tunnels, Carnegies Brae, Aberdeen, AB10 1BF. Phone (01224) 211121

Doors 8pm

Entry 6 on door

tt_poster.jpg

THOMAS TRUAX

International legend. You all know him already but just in case

Thomas Truax (pronounced troo-aks) travels the world singing into a contraption he invented called 'The Hornicator'. Constructed on the shell of a junk gramophone horn it resembles something that might have been dreamt up by Dr. Seuss. He taps out live rhythm loops, plucks assorted strings, springs and attached noisemakers, building a backdrop of layered hypnotic sounds on top of which come some of the most striking stories about clones, butterflies, dogs, technology, loneliness, and other beautiful and sad things. Splendid magazine called him "...an exceptional talent, unique and resistant to comparison, yet fairly accessible even to casual listeners."

Born an illigitimate son of Screamin' Jay Hawkins, as a young man Thomas attempted to build a synthesizer out of an old radio. He put on magic shows and made stop-motion animated films with a Super 8 camera. He has done mandatory day-job time as an animator on MTV's Celebrity Deathmatch and Cartoon Network's Robot Chicken. Time travelling with the Toby Tyler Circus inspired him towards a career in show business. His acclaimed rock noir trio Like Wow toured and released several CDs, but Thomas grew frustrated with a seemingly endless line of drummers with strange misconceptions of rehearsal times. He finally decided to build his own motorized mechanical drummer and 'go solo'.

'Sister Spinster' is a variable speed, proudly pre-digital 'Flintstones-era drum machine' that features spoked wheels and percussive parts which can be readjusted between songs to create different rhythms. Newer instruments include The Stringaling, Mother Superior, and the Backbeater, a rhythm wheel made to be worn on the back, which Thomas promises will eventually also double as a mechanism for flight. He has no engineering background and while constructing these inventions has repeatedly subjected himself to inadvertent electrical shocks which he claims have stimulated his creativity and expanded his vocal range.

"Inventive and Romantic" (TimeOut)

"Beguilingly Bizarre" (Uncut)

"Genius" (NME)

http://www.myspace.com/thomastruax

THE KITCHEN CYNICS

Local legend

Making the first of what we hope will be many retirement comebacks, eat your heart out Frank. You all know him, you all love him. Youll all want to be at every comeback show.

http://www.myspace.com/kitchencynics

FLAXMAN

Local legends in the making

Flaxman are: Vocalist - Flaxman. Guitar - Mr Jack. Fiddle - Paul Connolly.

Flaxman's music is influenced by a broad spectrum of music. It has a strong Scottish and north-east roots balanced with modern influences from a variety of rock, country and folk artists. Their songs are emotive and deal with the love, loss, longing and despair viewed through the eyes of Flaxman, a damaged soul, and a bandit not seeking redemption.

http://en-gb.facebook.com/pages/Flaxman/271199679564

...and at the Moorings, most recently.

I've never seen Thomas have an off-night, so I'm very much looking forward to seeing him again :up:

I've had a year off (I think), so I'm over the worst of my huff (had 2 shockers on the trot....but one of them was after getting up at 4am to head for the gig in Glasgow, and not getting to play 'til 1am, when I was half-asleep, and a tad tiddly). I'll start practising now, though!

• 3 weeks later...

I shall be attending this gathering. I have a News Writing exam for my Journalism course tomorrow, part of which I have to write an art review. This should do quite nicely. I have to admit, with embarrassment, that I have never listened to/witnessed any of the acts, I needed a show that was going to be fresh in my memory and this looked ideal, I have managed to check the various artists music out today. I have never been into folk/anti-folk/psychedelic-folk or the ilk, so hopefully this genre will win a new fan tonight. Thomas Truax looks like a visual/oral treat so that should be really good inspiration for my piece. I shall be writing the piece in a 'colour' style and so observation of my surroundings is necessary. So if you see a chap who looks slightly out of place scanning the room, its not some awkward nosey-parker, its probably me.

I shall be attending this gathering. I have a News Writing exam for my Journalism course tomorrow, part of which I have to write an art review. This should do quite nicely. I have to admit, with embarrassment, that I have never listened to/witnessed any of the acts, I needed a show that was going to be fresh in my memory and this looked ideal, I have managed to check the various artists music out today. I have never been into folk/anti-folk/psychedelic-folk or the ilk, so hopefully this genre will win a new fan tonight. Thomas Truax looks like a visual/oral treat so that should be really good inspiration for my piece. I shall be writing the piece in a 'colour' style and so observation of my surroundings is necessary. So if you see a chap who looks slightly out of place scanning the room, its not some awkward nosey-parker, its probably me.

we will talk to you no probs

This is TONIGHT will be great as always