aberdeen-music

A thread about They Might Be Giants

Soda Jerk

You 'eard.

The greatest band on earth. Better than the Beatles and Fugazi, combined. I watched the Gigantic documentary, and it rekindled my relentless TMGB love affair. The kids albums are fucking great too. Especially Here Comes Science. It's not for kids. Kid's won't even get it. It's about Science, and Science is for grown ups.

As gay and corny as it sounds, TMBG changed my life. 16 year old me was listening to grown men who wear shorts, prattling on about girls and skateboarding, as well as plethora of shite heavy metal. Then I borrowed Lincoln on tape from my friend who's taste in music I had never trusted, and thought it was a load of stupid wacky shite, which it was, but it was just incredible.

Here you go, I made a playlist of wall-to-wall hits. Get it cranked;

Spotify playlist

John Henry is not on Spotify though, which is one of my favourite albums. They've got S/T and Lincoln on there now though, which are the two best, by miles.

Go on. Tell me how great you think they are, and I'll agree. Don't like them? Dick.

One of the greatest things that ever happened to me was when I was listening to Birdhouse in My Soul on CD in the car one day. I turned off the CD to put on the radio. Birdhouse in Your Soul was still playing. Pressed the button again assuming I hadn't turned the CD off, but I had, Birdhouse in Your Soul was in fact on the radio AT THE SAME FUCKING TIME.

Clearly this was a sign. I just haven't worked out what it means yet, that was about 5 years ago.

My wee bro liked them. I thought 'Birdhouse in Your Soul' was a pile of irritating novelty cack at the time and I'm pretty sure I haven't knowingly heard any other songs by them.

Having said that, I was upstairs in O'Neills a couple of years ago and they played that song and I had a drunken boogie with my bro and others. I actually quite liked hearing it so I guess my feelings have mellowed.

I don't really have any desire to go and buy anything by them to join in on this thread though.

You 'eard.

The greatest band on earth. Better than the Beatles and Fugazi, combined. I watched the Gigantic documentary, and it rekindled my relentless TMGB love affair. The kids albums are fucking great too. Especially Here Comes Science. It's not for kids. Kid's won't even get it. It's about Science, and Science is for grown ups.

As gay and corny as it sounds, TMBG changed my life. 16 year old me was listening to grown men who wear shorts, prattling on about girls and skateboarding, as well as plethora of shite heavy metal. Then I borrowed Lincoln on tape from my friend who's taste in music I had never trusted, and thought it was a load of stupid wacky shite, which it was, but it was just incredible.

Here you go, I made a playlist of wall-to-wall hits. Get it cranked;

Spotify playlist

John Henry is not on Spotify though, which is one of my favourite albums. They've got S/T and Lincoln on there now though, which are the two best, by miles.

Go on. Tell me how great you think they are, and I'll agree. Don't like them? Dick.

I'm not listening to your playlist until you put Doctor Worm on it. So stick that in your pipe and smoke it.

I wanted to put Dr Worm on there. Is it on Spotify? I couldn't find it! I wanted to put Meet James Ensor on there too.

Meet James Ensor. Belgiums famous painter. Dig him up and shake his hand. Appreciate the man.

Don't Let's Start is on there at least, which is the greatest song ever written.

The video was quite tame in comparison to their early live shows, often wearing oversized cardboard cutout heads and/or animal suits. Put Your Hand Inside The Puppet Head video is even worse. It's like the result you'd get from giving 2 children a video camera and a bathload of E-numbers.