aberdeen-music

Fender Jaguar / Jazzmaster ( Japan / Mexico )

fertuiee

Just wondering what thoughts and experience people have had with either of these, im very keen on buying maybe a Jaguar or Jazzmaster made in Mekeeeko or Japan.

I know that there is only one reason guitar companies or any companies send their product to other countries, obviously to save a bit of cash. So its really the "sound" of CIJ and Mexican ones compared to USA ones im interested in as aposed to what they are made of.

The Jaguar still cost around 700 for a Japanese one alongside 1000 odd for a USA one, and the Jazzmaster...only Bill Gates has a USA one im told:jester:...300 is 300 as far as im concerned.

Ive owned a few different Fender USA guitars before and loved them, but since the local shops tend to not stock many Jaguars / Jazzmasters i dont see me getting to try one.

Mark

I general the Japanese Fenders are as well made as the US ones in my opinion, maybe the electronics are inferior sometimes but that's easily replaced. There are also some very good Fender guitars coming out of Mexico. All that said I would almost certainly prefer a Japanes Fender with, say, Seymour Duncan pickups, over a stock US model.

If you can't try them (no chance of getting down to EDinburgh or Glasgow?) I would buy a Japanese Fender mail order but probably not a Mexican, if only because of big differences in weight.

Guest idol_wild

I use a Japanese HH Jaguar, and it is an absolute dream of a guitar. Through the right amp, those two Dragster humbuckers are pretty beefy. Luckily, my Jag doesn't have the usual floating tremolo bridge, which is a Godsend.

The guitar looks good, it sounds good, and it is very comfortable to hold and play.

One thing I've found with my Jag, though, is that it's crucial to use the right gauge of strings, otherwise the playability and overall sound of the guitar will suffer. I know that can be applied to almost all guitars, but I really have found this imperative with Jags in particular.

One thing I've found with my Jag, though, is that it's crucial to use the right gauge of strings, otherwise the playability and overall sound of the guitar will suffer. I know that can be applied to almost all guitars, but I really have found this imperative with Jags in particular.

I'll second that, they (Jaguar's) really need to be setup well and looked after or you will have lots of issues with tuning and buzzing. I think this is just the style of the guitar rather than an issue on where it was made.

I have two MIJ strats and one CIJ 62 tele. All these guitars in my opinion are great guitars for the money...no wait, great guitars full stop. I've had two USA teles, a 70's and a 52RI, and fo rme the CIJ is right up there near the 52 for playability and finish. I would would go as far to say the CIJ is better than the 70's USA. One of the strats is my favourite guitars of all time. :up:

I know this post is not about Jags, or Jazzmasters, but jus tletting you know my thoughts on guitars from Japan.

I would rate some of the Fender Japanese stuff from the 80's to the late 90's as generally superior to the US stuff. Attention to detail is spot on.

I have a 1994 MIJ Jazzmaster and it used to be a pain in the arse at times because of the shallow break angle of the strings over the bridge but a proper set up will pretty much eliminate those sort of problems straight off and if not you could just have a Buzzstop fitted I suppose.

The MIJ's haven't held their value quite as much as the CIJ's for some reason so if you were astute in you research, you may be able to get a bargain.

yeh, i was fortunate enough about 10 years ago ( obviously before ebay convinced the world that 1000 - 2000 was a reasonable price for a peice of wood ) to get a vintage mustang for 470! it was refinished in a sought of "candy apple red" colour, and i absolutley loved it..but had to get rid of it, im kinda gearing towards the "J.Mascis" signature model jazzmaster....and getting a grey wig. ;)

Cheers man

Black, with tortoiseshell scratchplate. I originally though it was a 66, but found out it's a 63. I sometimes use it live (although never do it justice).

It was half the price that the copies sell for nowadays.

Thats some machine! wont see many in that colour either i imagine.

You are a lucky, lucky man my friend. 8-)

In Alan's day you could buy a custom colour Jazzmaster for 2 and 6 and still have enough left over for a slap up meal and a Sweetheart Stout at The Bells.

Not being funny Alan, but have you any way of being sure it came from the factory in black and hasn't been refinished at some point?

Not 100%, but there's some 'buckle-rash' on the back, and there's no evidence of other paint jobs obvious. But that's not to say it wasn't stripped right back and redone.

'His Majesty' reckoned it was the real deal.

It wouldn't bother me if it had been, as it's my main recording guitar, and the only reason I was considering selling it was to finance dry-rot treatment for my flat. In the event I did my 'Tune-a-Day' to raise the money instead. So, even if it was originally lipstick pink I would be happy enough. :up: