aberdeen-music

APA Music Programmer

Chris_APA

MUSIC PROGRAMMER

PART TIME 18k to 20k pro rata

Aberdeen Performing Arts (APA) is a charitable company and operates three venues and box offices in Aberdeen: His Majestys Theatre, Music Hall and The Lemon Tree. The company has a turnover of around 8m, approximately 250 employees and has an excellent reputation with audiences.

An exciting opportunity has arisen for a highly motivated professional to join Aberdeen Performing Arts (APA) new programming team. Working with the new Head of Programming, the Music Programmer will be responsible for putting together an exciting and varied programme of live music at our intimate music venue, The Lemon Tree. The focus of this post will be to source and book the best new music acts across a number of genres. The ideal candidate will have experience of working in the music industry and possess excellent communication and organisational skills, a flexible approach to work, excellent time management and a strong work ethic.

For further information and to obtain an application pack please visit our website at www.boxofficeaberdeen.com and click on the INFO + JOBS links or email recruitment@aberdeenperformingarts.com.

Closing date for return of applications is Friday 7 May 2010.

• 4 weeks later...

I once didn't get an interview for a job at the Lemon Tree and when I asked why, as I was very qualified I was told that whilst my CV had been one of the best ones they felt my handwriting wasn't good enough - you used to have to fill in a form in those days (not too long ago though maybe 7 years). My writing isnt very good, partly because I'd been using computers for the past 10 years and had hardly written anything. I wasnt happy, my reason for not even getting an interview hadnt been becuase I wasnt good enough but because my writing wasnt good enough - I was told by an employee that they actually used to get someone to look at the handwriting specifically, imo talk about the wrong priorities.

• 2 weeks later...
Ouch. I didn't even get an interview for this.

Apparently there are more people out there with "relevant experience that would enhance [the] organisation"...

Go figure. Good luck to whoever gets the job, I mean that. But seriously, not even a fucking interview?!

Fuck off!

Guest idol_wild
I applied, never heard anything at all back, thought Id be in with a shout for an interview too.

No way, man. When I applied a few years back, I think they took one look at the fact that I had put on DIY shows, realised my motives weren't about generating a profit, and classed me under: "Not A Fucking Chance".

No way, man. When I applied a few years back, I think they took one look at the fact that I had put on DIY shows, realised my motives weren't about generating a profit, and classed me under: "Not A Fucking Chance".

hahaha I woulda preferred a letter like that really. and jeez it took them long enough to tell me.

Much better than the generic kick in the fud that I got. Although I realise that sincere intent is limited at APA so no biggy now that I have calmed the fuck down! I am tired of this towns almost tangible lack of ambition, not the folks though, just an over arching sense that motives are driven by a misguided ambition!

I hope the Warehouse, The Tunnels, The Moorings and Drummonds keep the in their place!

Apparently there are more people out there with "relevant experience that would enhance [the] organisation"...

Utter bullshit through and through - it's a shame that APA are pulling exactly the same nonsense that the old Lemon Tree management used to pull.

I could understand them knocking you back based on the interview - but to reject you on the basis of not having relevant experience? What utter crap, and more to the point - their loss. You would think that an "assistant programmer" would be expected to have their finger on the pulse of the local community, but obviously not!

I recall that you were successful in getting funding from ACC in the past for music related projects - which anyone sane would see as a huge positive.

Probably, and sadly, they simply didn't want anyone who was capable of shaking things up a little and away from mediocrity.

Utter bullshit through and through - it's a shame that APA are pulling exactly the same nonsense that the old Lemon Tree management used to pull.

I could understand them knocking you back based on the interview - but to reject you on the basis of not having relevant experience? What utter crap, and more to the point - their loss. You would think that an "assistant programmer" would be expected to have their finger on the pulse of the local community, but obviously not!

I recall that you were successful in getting funding from ACC in the past for music related projects - which anyone sane would see as a huge positive.

Probably, and sadly, they simply didn't want anyone who was capable of shaking things up a little and away from mediocrity.

Awe shuks Cloud. I'm warming to you ;) And yup, a number of successful funding apps across music and art. No matter, I have moved on and reckon the job is a bit of a poisoned chalice. Which genuinely had me a little wary but thought what the hell... Not that I need have worried eh..

Maybe they looked at the apps and had a number of people apply that were experienced in working for a big company as a music programmer or such like, and therefore deemed that more employable than someone with DIY gig promoting experience.

Or at least this is what i am probably going to tell myself when i get knocked back from the job im currently putting an application together for.