aberdeen-music

want overdrive pedal

EnkaiScreamer

nah, the line 6 sounds sweet! its only shit if you OD everything, but i like to blend sounds so want an overdrive.

don't get me wrong, it's perfect as a practise amp but if you're looking for a really good sound you're going to need something with tubes. before you make the point, a tube amp of a quarter to half the wattage of the spider head is definitely adequate for playing local gigs (i've got a marshall tsl 100, but i've got it running at 25w and i can barely even get it cranked), so perhaps cost-wise the leap between solid state and tube isn't quite as big as you'd think. as for posting the same thread, i reckon fraser pretty much summed up everyone's feelings.

Sorry, but I don't agree here. I don't think you need a valve amp to get a good sound. I had a Line 6 flextone and a vintage Marshall amp in the same room and dialled the same settings (or as near as damn it) and the difference was next to nothing in sound. I've been a long time believer in the fact that in a band situation the subtle differences that a valve has over a SS amp is minimal.

If the original poster was saying "my Spider amp sounds rubbish, I really need a cheap OD pedal to make it sound good" then you could have a point. However the poster likes the sound of his amp and simply wants to get a OD pedal to try something different or whatever. Why not buy a OD pedal now, and if or when he gets a valve amp he can still use it.

Get your pedal if you want it. There was a DS1 on here for sale not long ago I think it was 15-20 quid. However, I can see folk getting annoyed if you just keep asking what they've got and then saying their stuff is too expensive if it's only 20-30 quid etc.

Sorry, but I don't agree here. I don't think you need a valve amp to get a good sound. I had a Line 6 flextone and a vintage Marshall amp in the same room and dialled the same settings (or as near as damn it) and the difference was next to nothing in sound. I've been a long time believer in the fact that in a band situation the subtle differences that a valve has over a SS amp is minimal.

I don't agree with the bashing either, but I do disagree about SS and Valve having a minimal difference. The way the signal is amplified is completely different, and the presence in the tone which an all tube preamp puts out in comparison to solid state is just worlds apart. At gig volume, especially if driving it with a bit of OD/dirt, then the SS will more often than not sound strained, where as the valve amp will sound comfortable. This is all down to make and models of course. I'm not suggesting there's no such thing as a good solid state, nor am I saying all valve amps are great. I'd have a Roland Jazz Chorus over a Peavey Valve King any day.

It's subjective though. Dimebag preferred solid state. Quite alot of modern metal guitarists seem to dig solid state. Rabble rabble rabble.