aberdeen-music

Ever get the feeling...

Bigsby

...you've been killed by cancer?

Malcolm McLaren dies, RIP.

BBC News - Former Sex Pistols manager Malcolm McLaren dies at 64

I get the feeling he was a bit of a cunt but hugely entertaining in things like The Great Rock and Roll Swindle and he had some decent singles of his own too.

Aye, music business these days could do with a few more characters like McLaren.

I think he was a very clever media manipulator - it is difficult to tell what he borrowed, invented or otherwise regardless of what he claimed, but he's one of the biggest characters that has been involved in British music, I'm quite sad to hear he has died.

I'll be interested to hear what old Johnny Lydon has to say given his known hatred of the bloke, I think I'd rather he just keeps quiet or is diplomatic rather than do his panto punk act and try to be shocking about it...

I'll be interested to hear what old Johnny Lydon has to say given his known hatred of the bloke, I think I'd rather he just keeps quiet or is diplomatic rather than do his panto punk act and try to be shocking about it...

Johnny Rotton (not Lydon!) press statement - "For me Malc was always entertaining, and I hope you remember that. Above all else he was an entertainer and I will miss him, and so should you."

Regardless of how much or how little he orchestrated things with the Sex Pistols or how much bollocks he's spouted about it in the intervening years, he was one of the immensely colourful characters who lit up the early punk scene and made it oh so attractive to the provincial 14 year old me and for his part in that I'll always be grateful.

Right through his life - from his shop thru his dalliances with the Dolls and the Pistols and Bow Wow Wow to his own bizarre recording history - he was a great mischief-maker, maybe even the greatest. And THAT is something that there's a great shortage of in this day and age.

RIP Talcy Malcy

• Upvote 1