aberdeen-music
Sign in to follow this  
Le Stu

2010 General Election

I was hoping the cider thread could become the general election thread, but thankfully they already did a u-turn on that key issue. So, anyone enthused since it's pretty much a given that we keep our incumbents in the city?

*Pardon, I didn't realise Aberdeen South was that close in '05.

I can't bring myself to vote Labour, but have only fear and loathing for the Conservative party, thankfully there is no enthusiasm for them. This isn't 97, no party has even a scintilla of positivism, so what I really want is a hung parliament, leveraging electoral and constitutional reform*, to clean the Augean Stables of Parliament more thoroughly.

And if Davelathotep NyarCameron wins, then we'll see if our devolved safety barrier works, to keep at bay the most crazed ideas of little-englanders. I

In short, I'm nae keen on the whole thing.

*Electoral Reform = No Tory majority ever again, a truly worthwhile aim

I really have no idea who to vote for. They all seem so intent on ripping it from eachother that they haven't bothered to tell us what they do, apart from Cameron going on his epic NI rant yesterday. Don't want to vote Labour, won't vote Tory, Lib Dems just seem to be hoping that people who don't like the others will vote for them so they can have their turn, so that's a no to them too. That leaves me with eco-mentalists and Nazi mentalists. Neither of whom get my vote. I'll probably just do eeny meeny miney mo or something.

Vote Nats and hope that the Tories win.

I could never hope the Tories win.

Will be voting SNP though.

Westminster politics is fucked. If the turnout's over 55% I'll be amazed.

I'm just glad that the government's indebtedness and the economy are the core election issues, even if the parties are being ever so slightly disingenuous about how they plan to fix either.

Not enthused about any of them. Hoping for a slim Tory majority as the best outcome of a bad situation.

We can console ourselves with the prospect of a permanent Conservative/UKIP coalition, though. .

I make few predictions, but that will never happen... *has a crazy trippy vision of the future* Oh yeah, That would be the future kingdom of Englande (extra e for olde tymes sake), well I don't live in a parochial dystopia*, yet.

*Actually, living in Glasgow I probably do.

We can console ourselves with the prospect of a permanent Conservative/UKIP coalition, though. The Unionists and quite possibly the SNP would probably lend a hand as well.

My prediction; Tory majority of 40+. Harriet Harman becomes Labour leader with Ed Balls as her deputy. Mass defections/retirements amongst the Blairites. Next Labour government some time in the 2030s.

Nice, 20 year recession!

Pardon my ignorance and apparent google inability but where is the Aberdeen North/Aberdeen South divide?

Election Maps

You can search on your postcode to find your constituency and then select layers to see the boundary lines.

I'm Aberdeen North which is probably not going to be retiring Mr Doran to private life, going by his 2005 majority. It's tricky to even make a tactical call in this constituency as the SNP and Lib-Dems have that vote split pretty evenly. So, I'll probably vote Conservative. What the hell, eh? Gotta give them some reason to love Scotland apart from Grouse.

• Upvote 1

Election Maps

You can search on your postcode to find your constituency and then select layers to see the boundary lines.

I'm Aberdeen North which is probably not going to be retiring Mr Doran to private life, going by his 2005 majority. It's tricky to even make a tactical call in this constituency as the SNP and Lib-Dems have that vote split pretty evenly. So, I'll probably vote Conservative. What the hell, eh? Gotta give them some reason to love Scotland apart from Grouse.

OK. I'm Aberdeen North too. Hmmmm. Joanna Strathdee is probably my favourite name so she's getting my vote unless someone changes my mind. Shame I'm not in South because Rhonda Reekie is a fantastic name.

john sleigh, the lib dem candidate for aberdeen south chapped my door this evening. seems a nice chap and is against city square project but ann begg has been very supportive of the i heart utg campaign too.

they're the two parties most likely to win aberdeen south but i guess everyone has a chance but it would be a phenomenal swing for snp to take it who would normally get my vote. i'll likely still vote snp as a high percentage vote will increase the case for proportional representation, making every vote count.

Nice, 20 year recession!

Yeah well, we did just have the biggest credit bubble in human history. Regardless of how much a Tory government might fuck things up worse, and I'm not saying they will, we're not going to bounce back from this like we did in the '80s. For this reason I think any Conservative government will only last one term.

We can console ourselves with the prospect of a permanent Conservative/UKIP coalition, though. The Unionists and quite possibly the SNP would probably lend a hand as well.

My prediction; Tory majority of 40+. Harriet Harman becomes Labour leader with Ed Balls as her deputy. Mass defections/retirements amongst the Blairites. Next Labour government some time in the 2030s.

Reading this gave me a cold shiver up my spine.

Guest Gladstone

Fuck knows who I'm going to vote for - I've not had much of a chance to listen/read up on what they're all saying.

So far I've heard this from David Cameron:

"Gordon Brown is a chump, Gordon Brown is a chump, Gordon Brown is a chump, oh, there's a camera..." *flashes his best hollywood smile*

I've heard this from Gordon Brown:

"I'm the man to sort this mess out, this is not the time for change". Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't you a massive part of why we're so fucked right now?

Nick Clegg:

"The other two are wankers, vote for me."

SNP gadgie last night on the news:

"This is not the time for cuts." Really? We either have to make cuts or increase taxes surely?

In all seriousness, the only issue I've really heard about so far is this increase in National Insurance that Labour are talking about. Conservatives are saying they won't increase National Insurance, because they can sort the mess out without doing it - they'll need to get the money from somewhere, and I like the fact that Labour are being "honest" about the fact they need to increase the NI. Nick Clegg came out and openly agreed with Labour's call to increase NI, and said the Tories were speaking balls. That to me says that it must be a good idea - before you get a party leader openly agreeing with that what another party leader has said, it must be nae bad.

Something's leaning me towards voting Labour. I've never voted Labour before, and never thought I would. I voted Lib Dems once when I was a student, but I can't really remember why, and every other time it's been SNP, but that cunt on the telly last night declaring "this is not the time for cuts" whilst stating they wouldn't be sticking National Insurance or taxes up just sounded to me as if he was in a fantasy world. We are skint, so we need to save money, or generate more - surely every politician in the country can see that.

I just don't think I can bring myself to vote for David Cameron - he looks like Action Man in a suit, and just comes across as a smarmy cunt. I can't work out why, but I seem to trust Gordon Brown more than David Cameron.

Yeah well, we did just have the biggest credit bubble in human history. Regardless of how much a Tory government might fuck things up worse, and I'm not saying they will, we're not going to bounce back from this like we did in the '80s. For this reason I think any Conservative government will only last one term.

I think that's a bit of a grim view. I don't think we'll launch into some sort of economic boom tomorrow with Labour but our country needs stability not some useless toff shit-munchers wading in with lahdeedah attitudes screwing it up for you and i for the long haul.

One term is too long. Cameron is a smug, odious excuse for human being. I can't abide him being PM. Brown might be a total sad-sack but at least he's not a slimy, oily excuse for a man.

If their was a realistic alternative to Labour i would vote for them. However, the Lib Dems are an add-on party and all the rest are buffoons. Labour are the much lesser of two evils.

Guest CuntSmasher
Labour are the much lesser of two evils.

Agreed although I'm still not prepared to vote for them...or anyone to be honest. It's ah' pish.

I think that's a bit of a grim view. I don't think we'll launch into some sort of economic boom tomorrow with Labour but our country needs stability not some useless toff shit-munchers wading in with lahdeedah attitudes screwing it up for you and i for the long haul.

One term is too long. Cameron is a smug, odious excuse for human being. I can't abide him being PM. Brown might be a total sad-sack but at least he's not a slimy, oily excuse for a man.

If their was a realistic alternative to Labour i would vote for them. However, the Lib Dems are an add-on party and all the rest are buffoons. Labour are the much lesser of two evils.

It may be a grim view, but it's a view based on the unprecedented levels of debt in this country. Not just government, but household and corporate also. It's like we're maxed out on every card in our wallet. That's the price for the 'stability' that Labour brought us and, predictably, the public will now proceed to blame the good doctor for the nasty medicine he prescribes.

Difficult to see how we grow the economy when people and businesses are either unwilling or unable to take on more debt.

As for the class hatred, I find it amusing but they're obviously all political class so I have no preference on that level. None of them are like us and they all think they deserve better than us, as the expenses scandal proved.

SNP gadgie last night on the news:

"This is not the time for cuts." Really? We either have to make cuts or increase taxes surely?

I used to be an SNP supporter but they've become increasing stupid on economic affairs which has sadly lost them my vote

Guest Gladstone
I used to be an SNP supporter but they've become increasing stupid on economic affairs which has sadly lost them my vote

What about Conservative's notion that we shouldn't increase National Insurance?

How are they going to make up the massive shortfall in money?

(Genuine question - it seems to me as if Conservatives are either as dumb as the SNP, or they'll hit us with a load of stealth taxes after they're in power)

What about Conservative's notion that we shouldn't increase National Insurance?

How are they going to make up the massive shortfall in money?

(Genuine question - it seems to me as if Conservatives are either as dumb as the SNP, or they'll hit us with a load of stealth taxes after they're in power)

No, they're being disingenuous, not stupid. Of course they're going to have to raise more taxes or cut more spending. Saying that we don't need to do either when our Gilt yields recently rose above Italy's is just plain stupid :up:

Guest Gladstone

How should I vote in the General Election 2010? - Telegraph

According to this thing - my views have a 50% match with Conservative policy, 30% with SNP, 20% with Lib Dems and 11% with Labour.

It's quite worrying that my heart is saying Labour to me just now...

An article (which I haven't read yet - just saw the headline...) on the Telegraph website says the cuts that Conservative are talking about could cost up to 40,000 jobs. That's a bit of a fucker really isn't it? I'm not really sure what I think of that - we need to cut spending, or increase taxes I think. So if we cut spending, that means less activitiy in the public sector, right? Which means potential job losses, right? Which means less income tax/national insurance being paid in, right? And extra jobseekers allowance/benefits/redundancy packages for public sector workers, right? And probably a whole load of pricey industrial action?

Or, would increasing some taxes be a better idea? Keeping people in jobs, but raising the money to pay for the stuff we're spending money on?

I'm not sure what's the best way to do it.

It may be a grim view, but it's a view based on the unprecedented levels of debt in this country. Not just government, but household and corporate also. It's like we're maxed out on every card in our wallet. That's the price for the 'stability' that Labour brought us and, predictably, the public will now proceed to blame the good doctor for the nasty medicine he prescribes.

Difficult to see how we grow the economy when people and businesses are either unwilling or unable to take on more debt.

As for the class hatred, I find it amusing but they're obviously all political class so I have no preference on that level. None of them are like us and they all think they deserve better than us, as the expenses scandal proved.

I wasn't saying that it wasn't true, just that it's not maybe as grim as you're painting it to be.

Most of the public are stupid though so i wouldn't be surprised.

The economy has been growing, albeit very slowly. Switching governments now would be detrimental to what little growth there has been.

How should I vote in the General Election 2010? - Telegraph

According to this thing - my views have a 50% match with Conservative policy, 30% with SNP, 20% with Lib Dems and 11% with Labour.

It's quite worrying that my heart is saying Labour to me just now...

An article (which I haven't read yet - just saw the headline...) on the Telegraph website says the cuts that Conservative are talking about could cost up to 40,000 jobs. That's a bit of a fucker really isn't it? I'm not really sure what I think of that - we need to cut spending, or increase taxes I think. So if we cut spending, that means less activitiy in the public sector, right? Which means potential job losses, right? Which means less income tax/national insurance being paid in, right? And extra jobseekers allowance/benefits/redundancy packages for public sector workers, right? And probably a whole load of pricey industrial action?

Or, would increasing some taxes be a better idea? Keeping people in jobs, but raising the money to pay for the stuff we're spending money on?

I'm not sure what's the best way to do it.

Interesting link. Apparently I'm a 62% match with the Scottish Greens and a 55% match with the SNP. Lib Dems are 54%, Labour 51% and Tories 38%.

I thought there'd be clearer ground between Labour and the SNP/Lib Dems and I'm surprised the Greens match my thoughts so well.

Still probably won't change my voting plans though but I guess it makes me a bit more comfortable about living in a consituency that's likely to return a Lib Dem MP (not that I was ever uncomfortable about that, the Lib Dems are after all like an old pair of slippers. Not very radical, safe, pretty boring and sensible).

Edit: After answering the extra 5 questions my results were even more surprising:

Scottish Green Party: 73%

Liberal Democrats: 67%

Scottish National Party: 66%

Labour Party: 59%

Conservative Party: 42%