aberdeen-music

LOSTBOY AKA Jim Kerr (Simple Minds) : The Warehouse : Friday 21st May

• 4 weeks later...
Simple Minds had a few good early albums but they grew gradually more horrific.

So, which album's the cut-off point for them in terms of quality? Have to say I don't think they're nearly as bad as people paint them to be although I do think Kerr is the bigger problem in many eyes. I would say they're ok up until about 1983, therafter pretty bad. Belfast Child? Oh dear.

I think 'Sparkle in the Rain' is my cut off point - although I don't actually own it, it did have 'Up on the Catwalk' and 'Waterfront' on it, they were OK tunes.

'Don't You Forget About Me' always keeps a bit of kudos for association with 'The Breakfast Club' but that was kind of the start of the slippery slope when they tried to become Scotland's own U2.

No-one should try and become another U2, they are unique for many reasons, like them or not.

GIG] LOSTBOY AKA Jim Kerr (Simple Minds) : The Warehouse : Friday 21st May

The first three Minds albums were very unique for the time. (Check them out)

Even up to New gold dream was Ok. After that, record company pressure, made them a Stadium Rock band.

I still have Vivid memories of supporting them in Ruffles Rock club, in Diamond street around 1978/9.

They still moved all their gear in a single decker bus, & Jim had his "Pudding" bowl haircut.

Ah the memories!