aberdeen-music

New Doctor Who

jester1470

With the final episode there were parts I liked and parts I didn't. The question being Doctor who? is painfully obvious and really cringy but I was happy enough with the resolution to the primary issue of the doctor being killed in the first episode.

Still not as good as last years finale which I liked a lot.

The Minotaur episode was really good for the first 20 minutes or so I thought but then kind of unraveled.

As I said I like Matt Smith's doctor a lot and I like the characters of Amy and Rory more than previous companions and that's probably what I've enjoyed this series more so than the stories themselves at times.

• Upvote 1

Mouse things ? MOUSE things ? Ah you mean cybermats... One of the things i was happiest about was the return of the old cybermatys, missed them from the classic era cybermen, first time we'd seen them for over 30 years. The robot with the men inside was a bit of a Numbskulls parody. I thought the Mark Gatiss one was excellent, a real return to form after last years terrible dalek one, I've enjoyed it a lot, i've enjoyed the arc of it, River Song and the Rory/Amy evolution, i also loved the fact it was the death of the Brig that caused him to re-evaluate everything, a lovely tribute to Nicholas Courtney.

In general it was great and I enjoyed it a lot but there are a couple of things that don't sit very well with me. First is that at the end the first half of this series the Doctor left everyone to go rescue Melody Pond. Then didn't. No-one seemed to care about this. Instead it was just revealed that Melody was programmed by the Silence and left to grow up beside her own parents. Big reveal and everyone's happy again. That didn't quite work.

Secondly the ganger doctor. After the ganger episode the Doctor seemed to alternate bow tie and jacket combination and the ganger doctor was always the most likely explanation for the how he survived being killed at the Lake. Instead they went with the much more ridiculous explanation of the numbskulls. It's a fun idea and I like it but that still means there's a second Doctor out there somewhere. The ganger would also explain a couple of other inconsistencies although the big one - how he aged 200 years without being killed and regenerating, something no other incarnation has managed - was explained by the Doctor being imprisoned by Churchill in the alternative timeline.

One last thing I'm having trouble getting my head around but it's probably simple. For the Doctor to get to the point where he dies and he tells everyone to go to the Lake to witness it he has to have already got to that point to send the envelopes. Including the one to himself so he can turn up at the diner and start the season properly and go through all the arc that leads to his own death and sending the envelopes inviting everyone to the diner. Including himself. It's a timey wimey paradox and I don't like it.

Oh and what blew up the tardis at the end of season 5?

I'm slightly confused, why is there still a second Dr out there ? the Ganger Dr was killed at the end of the ganger episode. As for any other Dr managing to live 200 years without regenerating, the first Dr was 700 before his first regeneration iirc so it is possible to live that long as a time lord. I suppose because we dont see the adventures that happen in between time each Dr could live for hundreds of years and we only see a smattering of what they do, i mean how likely is it every planet stop leads to an adventure, it's a bit unfortunate that the first dr lived for 700 ish years and ever other dr has managed an average iof 3 years since :p

there's been some good episodes but this story arc has really fucked me off, not helped by their gap in production i think. The whole baby stealing thing was a total mess and the restart was terrible. They threw away the whole storyline with that ridiculous "she's been with you all along" premise. the james cordon one was shit. each week i just got more infuriated that they'd just forgotten that the doctor was going to die and that the silence had stolen and fucked with amy and rory's baby. in fact, they've still not resolved the silence situation so i guess that one will run for a few seasons now.

the last one had some good moments though.

I think the last one was one of the weakest. It was ridiculous that the main arc was ignored for some episodes but some of those stand alone episodes had a lot more going for them.

The opening 2 parter and the Doctor's Wife are the standout episodes for me this series. Which does suggest the second half was a little weaker, but at least the second part didn't have pirates or gangers.

If thee doctor was in a robot when river zapped him, why did it start to regenerate?

I've seen it pointed it out that if the BBC can do special effects to make it look like someone is regenerating then surely it's not beyond the abilities of the teselector to knock up a bit of a light show.