aberdeen-music

New Doctor Who

jester1470

Not too impressed with tonight's. Seems like they reused a Torchwood episode I saw.

Next week's looks ace though!

Probably helps that I don't watch Torchwood then, I thought tonight's episode was fantastic. The Doctor and Amy Pond are both getting into the roles now and starting to show their own personalities.

The star whale was a bit of nonsense but who cares? Great episode and if the series keeps up this level of production they'll be onto a winner.

I wasn't impressed by it, but I wasn't annoyed, irritated or disappointed either. By the end of the episode my overall feeling was one of optimism and intrigue.

-You're Scottish, they wanted their own ship

-Some things never change!

lol

There wasn't lots of running. There was a mystery. It was... an old school Doctor Who episode. Almost. The Doctor is an ALIEN again.

I really felt that the story was aimed squarely at kids and that that certain settings and elements came from elsewhere - I just hope Terry Pratchett doesn't sue. James Blish we don't have to worry so much about.

Cities in Flight - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The one line that made me sit up and take notice was when Amy Pond said "I think I'm running away from something, have you ever done that?" and The Doctor said "Once". Was he just referring to the fact that he IS the Doctor, or is there something more to it?

I mean, has that aspect of his character ever been fully explored in the old series? It's a real "origins" question isn't it? Did the Doctor run away?

Probably helps that I don't watch Torchwood then, I thought tonight's episode was fantastic. The Doctor and Amy Pond are both getting into the roles now and starting to show their own personalities.

The star whale was a bit of nonsense but who cares? Great episode and if the series keeps up this level of production they'll be onto a winner.

Yeah, the giant creature kept in torment by human captors thing was the bit nicked from Torchwood. You are wise to not watch Torchwood as it's rubbish.

The bit about the Scots wanting their own ship also made me lol.

Amy Pond has a touch of the Biancas about her. Some dangerous spikes in the level of her voice that makes you think she's gonna really start screaming.

The one line that made me sit up and take notice was when Amy Pond said "I think I'm running away from something, have you ever done that?" and The Doctor said "Once". Was he just referring to the fact that he IS the Doctor, or is there something more to it?

I mean, has that aspect of his character ever been fully explored in the old series? It's a real "origins" question isn't it? Did the Doctor run away?

That was kind of touched upon when the doctor said he was the only one that could end the Time War (possibly when the Master first returned, Martha assistant era). The impression given with that, is that the Doctor is constantly running away from the end of the time war and his involvement with everything to do with that, due to sealing the fate of two advanced civilisations.

the one that I thought looked the most promising turned out to be a completely ridiculous plot with the Doctor stuck without his lithium. AGAIN.

For his time circuits... or for his bipolar disorder? Both seem to be acting up a lot.

Who else suspects that Stephen Moffat secretly thinks that everything RTD did was rubbish? He's just like "Yeah, everything he made up about the Daleks - that was shite". Wipe the slate on that one!

Next up Cybermen. They'll probably come through the parallel Universe as per usual only to meet the real Cyberman from Mondas who will blow them to bits for having that stupid C on their chest.

Also, we know that Amy is Scottish now. We can probably leave out the "Och aye, fitty like?" reference in the next episode. Stephen, you must stop this.

Next up, Mark Gatiss: Why on Earth would Amy say, "Oh, so your secret love is a woman?"

Heterosexuals generally accept other peoples' heterosexuality without question. With an explosion imminent I probably wouldn't be taking the time out to ask the Dalek android in front of me if he wasn't maybe, "wired the other way".

The only reason for it being in there seemed to be to remind people that "Some people are gay you know". Totally pointless. Silly Mark.

Final thoughts: The old Daleks looked cooler. But the new ones are taller and more colourful. I don't think it really matters which they are, they're still Daleks.

"Broadsword calling Danny Boy, come in Danny Boy!" - Well done Mark, nice bit of fun there.

For his time circuits... or for his bipolar disorder? Both seem to be acting up a lot.

Who else suspects that Stephen Moffat secretly thinks that everything RTD did was rubbish? He's just like "Yeah, everything he made up about the Daleks - that was shite". Wipe the slate on that one!

Next up Cybermen. They'll probably come through the parallel Universe as per usual only to meet the real Cyberman from Mondas who will blow them to bits for having that stupid C on their chest.

Also, we know that Amy is Scottish now. We can probably leave out the "Och aye, fitty like?" reference in the next episode. Stephen, you must stop this.

Next up, Mark Gatiss: Why on Earth would Amy say, "Oh, so your secret love is a woman?"

Heterosexuals generally accept other peoples' heterosexuality without question. With an explosion imminent I probably wouldn't be taking the time out to ask the Dalek android in front of me if he wasn't maybe, "wired the other way".

The only reason for it being in there seemed to be to remind people that "Some people are gay you know". Totally pointless. Silly Mark.

Final thoughts: The old Daleks looked cooler. But the new ones are taller and more colourful. I don't think it really matters which they are, they're still Daleks.

"Broadsword calling Danny Boy, come in Danny Boy!" - Well done Mark, nice bit of fun there.

pretty much what he said.

good fun episode though and bodes well for the rest of the series. anyone else watch doctor who confidential? they explained the different colours of the daleks as different ranks, including one called and 'eternal' but no one would expand on that. the idea seemed to be that by letting them escape they'd ensure the daleks were always around for future series rather than having to come up with ridiculous plot devices each series to bring them in.

next weeks episode is gonna be ace though!

Yes. :up:

I'm waiting for a daleks/psychedlia episode, with paisley-patterned daleks dropping acid.

I think there was a (possibly) Troughton era Dalek trippin' sequence, not sure where it's from I saw it on a prog about Doctor Who back in the 90s. Of course, it was only as psychedelic as B & W TV allowed.

Whats up with that?

mystic-meg-horoscop_384331a.jpg

I see... a time anomaly of some sort... a paradox... a connection to the cracks in the Universe... and anyone who predicts it's something to do with the Daleks... could be winners too.

I enjoyed that one also, but does anyone think the Doctor has become a little gun happy lately? I thought it used to be taboo that he'd even touch one.

I think that's an element of the series that's been over-played, often contrived and not strictly true.

maybe she's not all that she seems?

That wouldn't be cool.

It reminded me of the first episode of Earthshock

But with less tinfoil.

Perhaps I'm being cynical but I saw the rainbow spectrum of Daleks as a cheap ploy to sell toys.

As for the series... really enjoying it so far. I also think Matt Smith is weirdly sexy despite being completely unattractive. I'm finding the whole thing terribly confusing.

I agree about the coloured Darleks and the whole Matt Smith thing is easy to explain. Matt Smith isnt sexy at all obviously, the Dr however is and thats cos he's a timelord who could do anything, therefore anything you are feeling is for the character Matt Smith inhabits, not his strange looking self.

Looking forward to the second half, and especially looking forward to Neil Gaiman's one next year. Isnt it strange how the Who has gone from being an unmentionable programme to one everyone likes,

Trivia Question: It was an Aberdeen actor who worked with more Dr's than anyone else (except the Brigadier) in Who, he starred with: William Hartnell, Jon Pertwee, Tom Baker (twice), Peter Davison and Sylvester McCoy, he was also in an audio Dr Who with Paul McGann, anyoneexcept Del) know who he is :p

I agree about the coloured Darleks and the whole Matt Smith thing is easy to explain. Matt Smith isnt sexy at all obviously, the Dr however is and thats cos he's a timelord who could do anything, therefore anything you are feeling is for the character Matt Smith inhabits, not his strange looking self.

Looking forward to the second half, and especially looking forward to Neil Gaiman's one next year. Isnt it strange how the Who has gone from being an unmentionable programme to one everyone likes,

Trivia Question: It was an Aberdeen actor who worked with more Dr's than anyone else (except the Brigadier) in Who, he starred with: William Hartnell, Jon Pertwee, Tom Baker (twice), Peter Davison and Sylvester McCoy, he was also in an audio Dr Who with Paul McGann, anyoneexcept Del) know who he is :p

Michael Sheard.