aberdeen-music

Speakon help please

GraemeC

The blue part screws off first i think.

Well thats a given... screw off bits are quite easy for me...

The lead was not working so I would chech both ends, I unthreaded the blue threaded bit and the cable pulled out because both wires were broken I can see where they should go but I cant work out how the fuck it comes apart....

Someone out there must know... where's soundian when you need him?

G...

Does this image help you atall?

http://www.buyspeakercable.com/SPEAKON_OPEN_BIG.gif

The white part in that image (yours might be black) is the strain relief. When the back of the connector is screwed on it applies force and grips the cable pretty tight. Over time IME they become pretty stubborn to unstick from the cable. There should be a side to it you can jam a wee screwdriver down and prise it apart enough to get it unstuck from the cable. Is this the part you're having difficulty with?

Or is it the black part at the right hand side of the image? If I remember correctly its just one of those things you've got to shoogle around and keep pushing at until it comes away from the assembly with the terminators. If its stuck, a hammer might actually not be a bad idea to seperate the two plastic parts (nondestructively, preferably!)

You need to pull that part *away* from the cable, like the housing of an XLR. The connector is assembled in order as shown in the image.

Hope this helps.

I thought you were an Agony Uncle, and here's you asking us!!!

Right I've doine this before, but it was a while ago. I know it's not hard if I can do it. Is there not a small retaining screw somewhere in the body of the plug to take out first. As I say it's been a while.

Son's idea will also work, but watch you don't hit your fingers.

Found these....

http://www.crownaudio.com/pdf/amps/126986.pdf

How to wire a speakon connector from buyspeakercable.com

Thanks for the help but it was a different (newer) plug, but I have now sussed it and "hopefully" fixed it, although testing it with a multi meter would require a third arm... so all together these are not user friendly... they are a pain in the arse in fact.

G...

BUT much safer than using phone plugs! No chance of accidental disconnect, dont suffer from the shorting out your amp problem when disconnecting at the speaker side, cant accidentally plug them into something you're not supposed to (well, extremely small chance anyway), bi/quad amping capability, more durable, easier to fix than a phone plug (no soldering), much tidier with heavier gauge wires, no chance of mixing up a speaker cable and an instrument cable...

And miles better than using *shudder* XLRs for speaker connectors...

Silly Bose!