aberdeen-music

Alex Chilton RIP

Monster Zero

Alex Chilton remembered

Long before he was famous Alex was a 14 year old kid who would hang around at Jerry Lee's shows. He would often be at wild after show parties at Jerry Lee's house in Memphis along with countless other musicians.

He learned a lot of things that musicians do pretty fast - and was soon skipping school and staying up for several days and nights on end. He also hung out at the Sun studio with the owner Sam Phillips and tried to make himself useful there.

Back in 1965 when he was still 15 he was delighted to pictured on the sleeve of one of Jerry's LP's. Here is a link to Alex's picture:

Jerry Lee Lewis & Jimmy Lee Swaggart pictured in Kyle Esplin's rock n'roll scrapbook - Kyle is Scotland's No 1 boogie-woogie singer pianist

Alex learned to play pretty good boogie woogie piano himself and a couple of years later his group The Boxtops had a huge multi milllion seller with The Letter in 1967. Despite knowing a lot of musicians and having listened to their tales - he still got ripped off terribly when success came to him.

Many years later his Big Star venture gathered quite a cult following - something that still continues to this day.

I didn't realise anyone on Aberdeen Music liked him - I remember him as a friendly young kid who grew up fast and did a lot of things at an early age he probably shouldn't have done. Back in the day he wore his hair in a moptop Beatle-style and that is why he got his picture on an LP cover long before he became famous himself. These pictures show the Alex I remember:

aberdeen-music

aberdeen-music

Later on he became a bit paranoid and was frequently totally out of it. The following is a link to a good tribute that tells the truth about his later life.

Alex Chilton: 1975-1981 | Crawdaddy!

He still used to turn up at any of Jerry's shows in New Orleans but it is astonishing that Alex has gone and Jerry, his older mentor, is still rockin'. Maybe he shouldn't have gone to all those parties when he was young but then he would have missed a whole lot of fun.

Alex was a good guy.

Long before he was famous Alex was a 14 year old kid who would hang around at Jerry Lee's shows. He would often be at wild after show parties at Jerry Lee's house in Memphis along with countless other musicians.

He learned a lot of things that musicians do pretty fast - and was soon skipping school and staying up for several days and nights on end. He also hung out at the Sun studio with the owner Sam Phillips and tried to make himself useful there.

Back in 1965 when he was still 15 he was delighted to pictured on the sleeve of one of Jerry's LP's. Here is a link to Alex's picture:

Jerry Lee Lewis & Jimmy Lee Swaggart pictured in Kyle Esplin's rock n'roll scrapbook - Kyle is Scotland's No 1 boogie-woogie singer pianist

Alex learned to play pretty good boogie woogie piano himself and a couple of years later his group The Boxtops had a huge multi milllion seller with The Letter in 1967. Despite knowing a lot of musicians and having listened to their tales - he still got ripped off terribly when success came to him.

Many years later his Big Star venture gathered quite a cult following - something that still continues to this day.

I didn't realise anyone on Aberdeen Music liked him - I remember him as a friendly young kid who grew up fast and did a lot of things at an early age he probably shouldn't have done. Back in the day he wore his hair in a moptop Beatle-style and that is why he got his picture on an LP cover long before he became famous himself. These pictures show the Alex I remember:

aberdeen-music

aberdeen-music

Later on he became a bit paranoid and was frequently totally out of it. The following is a link to a good tribute that tells the truth about his later life.

Alex Chilton: 1975-1981 | Crawdaddy!

He still used to turn up at any of Jerry's shows in New Orleans but it is astonishing that Alex has gone and Jerry, his older mentor, is still rockin'. Maybe he shouldn't have gone to all those parties when he was young but then he would have missed a whole lot of fun.

Alex was a good guy.

Hang on, you knew Alex Chilton?! If so can I be your new best friend?

It's been a genuinely gutting 5 or 6 months for musician deaths - Vic Chesnutt, Mark Linkous, Alex Chilton. Horrible.

Alex was just a young Jerry Lee fan. It was all a long , long time ago when even I was young!

Sadly many of Alex's associates are no longer with us either. Chris Bell that Alan mentions had many problems and died when he was still in his 20's and that was over 30 years ago.

I am still in touch with Tav Falco who Alex partnered in Panther Burns. (see the Crawdaddy link above) and I am still in touch with Jerry who rocks on and on even though he is 75 and is truly the Last Man Standing of all the old Memphis musicians.

• 1 month later...

Last show from Big Star following death of Alex Chilton

Big Star valedictory kicks off Levitt Shell season in Memphis

On Saturday 15th May, Memphis cult rock and roll icons Big Star will perform what will likely be the final show in the group's labyrinthine 40-year history.

The end comes as the result of the death of the band's co-founder and frontman, Alex Chilton. Chilton also known for his work with the chart-topping '60s soul-pop group the Box Tops died in March from a heart attack in his adopted hometown of New Orleans.

Remaining Big Star members Jon Auer (from left), Jody Stephens and Ken Stringfellow will be joined by a number of well-known guests on Saturday.

The show, which had been booked before Chilton's death, will go on with surviving band members Jody Stephens, Ken Stringfellow and Jon Auer, and will serve as a tribute to the late singer.

The concert will feature appearances by guests including original Big Star bassist Andy Hummel, R.E.M.'s Mike Mills, Brendan Benson of The Raconteurs, John Davis of Superdrag, Norwegian singer-songwriter Sondre Lerche, as well as several local notables including Van Duren and Susan Marshall.

Proceeds will go to support the Shell's free concert series (an auction of memorabilia and other items will help raise money for Chilton's widow, Laura).

(above from today's Memphis Paper)

• 2 years later...

I am posting this link for the above fans of Alex Chilton and Big Star.

Tav Falco, who I mentioned in the obit for Alex, has written a new book that details a lot about his association with Big Star, The Cramps and Sun Records. I am still in touch with Tav and Tav Falco and his Panther Burns show are now based in Switzerland. This will be a good book as Tav has a good memory but sadly many of the people from that era are no longer with us.

http://thequietus.com/articles/11172-falco-has-landed-tav-falco-interview

• 7 months later...