aberdeen-music

Tips for selling on Amazon?

Just wondering what everyone's experiences are with selling stuff on Amazon and if there are any smart ways that you can cut down on P&P costs?

I'm looking to shift an epic bunch of DVDs but from what I can gather they charge a flat rate of 86p per sale, then a 15% referral fee on every item PLUS another 16p per DVD sale. Add P&P on top of that (how much does it even cost to post a boxed dvd?) and it seems there's not much point inputting anything up unless it's going for at least a fiver...

Help!

I've sold a fair bit and for DVD's there is a flat fee to the buyer of 1.24, same for CD's. If it's a bog standard DVD or CD then you will be about 70p First Class to actually post it. Where it starts getting irritating is when it's a box set that will need more postage cost to you but the same cost to the buyer. I buy a lot on Amazon as well so it's a bit of swings and roundabouts for me.

There's nowt you can do about it, I prefer Amazon as you only get charged if you sell as opposed to E Bay and the listing fees etc even if you don't sell and you have to pay again to relist (it's been a while since I sold on E Bay so apologies if this has changed).

I usually just input the stuff and see how much I'm going to get, if it's less than a quid I generally put it to one side with a view to taking the stuff to One Up or just give it to a charity shop as it seems hardly worth the hassle.

I often buy ex-rental DVD's for about a fiver and since it would cost 3.50 to rent it anyway, if I decide to punt it I'm happy if I'm getting at least 1.50I've made significant profits selling on ex-rental stuff.

same for me, i have sold a pap load of stuff recently but unless its going for over 4 -5 quid its not worth it. I have shifted over 200 worth of stuff, plus my missus works at DHL so postage was free for me :D but you can also use the self service posting gadgy in the post office on union street and just lightly press the scale with your finger when you are asked to weigh your package. 47p postage all the time!

But like said above, if its peanuts, i just chuck it in charity shop.

Cheers for the heads up, going to give this a bash and just ordered a ton of jiffy bags. Guessing you can post them shits 2nd class to save a bit more the cash? My Mrs doesn't work for DHL!... :(

Still can't get my head round the pricing: they're taking 1.02 (selling & closing fees) + 15% of the sale for every DVD from the seller and 1.24 (under the pretense of shipping costs) from the buyer?

Seems a bit of a piss-take for what could be a 4 DVD.

Still can't get my head round the pricing: they're taking 1.02 (selling & closing fees) + 15% of the sale for every DVD from the seller and 1.24 (under the pretense of shipping costs) from the buyer?

Individual sellers

Individuals selling at Marketplace pay a GBP 0.86 per item completion fee, plus a closing fee of 17.25% of the sales price (11.5% for Electronics & Photo items) for each item sold.

Basically I prefer Amazon as I don't have to fanny about taking pics as most items are searchable and also as stated befoe I like only being charged if item sells rather than have to keep relisting and repaying. The relist function is very easy on Amazon as you can just go to your seller profile and call up the unsold list, also you can keep track of how your price compares to other sellers. Sometimes you have to enter a price reduction war with someone else and it ends up not being worth it.

It all depends how much you realistically think you will get elsewhere, I listed a load of CD's on here a while back for a fiver and got no takers, folk are more attracted by 3 quid dealsand there aren't too many occasions when you can't make that on Amazon unless it is real run of the mill items you are selling.

It's a personal preference thing....

Guessing you can post them shits 2nd class to save a bit more the cash? My Mrs doesn't work for DHL!... :(

sure can, thats what i always do and no-one has complained yet, probably more to do with the fact that i post it really quickly so kind of makes up for the 2nd class postage.

you could always advertise them on here, im always on the look out for a good few dvds

Tried this a few times in the past but you end up getting haggled down to nothing and standing outside 1up in the pishing rain for 20 minutes waiting for someone to turn up. Not really worth the hassle for a couple of quid.

On the Amazon commission side, it's not as bad as I'd initially thought as they seem to take most of their costs out of the added P&P. What I've sold so far has been

PS2 Game: Listed 10, getting 9.11

DVD: Listed as 2, getting 1.97

DVD: Listed as 3.70, getting 3.28

Obscure & foreign DVDs seem to fetch a better price than the wide releases. Got a Videodrome DVD going for 9 (cheapest by a mile) whereas I'll be lucky to get 1.50 for Crank...