aberdeen-music

DAWs

ca_gere

Who uses what and what for?

I've been running cubase sx3 (*cough* h20 *cough*) on a vista laptop for a while. it's now buggered but a spanking new iMac quad core is on its way and I was thinking about which DAW to go for. Maybe even legit. I'm finally used to the cubase interface but maybe it's time for a change/fresh start.

I'd be using it for making shit generic electronic music that i'll only ever half finish. (vst plug ins, midi controller, etc)

any advice welcomed.

Reaper looks excellent for sixty bucks. Similar-ish gui to cubase.

I say legit but I just want something that's not gonna red cross error message me all the time. If that means I have to pay for the luxury of having support and a dongle then so be it but yeah the likes of this or opensource is maybe the way to go because if I buy a multiple hundred quids worth of software it'll kill me to know i'll probably never use all the features.

Aye, and when i say 60 bucks, i mean dollars. So it is only really 40 pounds. The forum is really good too, great support and they take a lot of feature suggestion advice on board.

Yeah, had a wee look at the forum. A good forum is essential when working with these programs. And I like the fact there's two licences, very reasonable. Ta v much for the suggestion. What's the demo like?

What's the demo like?

The demo is the same version as the non-commercial license. You get the full version for a 30-day trial. I'm struggling with it because i am so used to PT8. You should download the demo. What is also cool is you can completely customize how the program looks and even download GUI skins. If they release a PT8 rip skin i'll probably just switch over. It's only a 7MB file as well.

The only thing against Reaper, from my perspective is the lack of a midi score editor. Most people probably wouldn't use the score editor, but I use it all the time in Sonar, which means I am not going to change at this moment.

You can get a 3rd party score editor and use it in conjunction with Reaper but I still figured it was more bother than it's worth for me to change at this current time.

The only thing against Reaper, from my perspective is the lack of a midi score editor. Most people probably wouldn't use the score editor, but I use it all the time in Sonar, which means I am not going to change at this moment.

You can get a 3rd party score editor and use it in conjunction with Reaper but I still figured it was more bother than it's worth for me to change at this current time.

Sonar, fits at like?

Score editor i'm not fussed about, as long as there's a decent piano roll and plugging in a controller isn't a task akin to solving poincar's conjecture* then i'm happy.

*anybody else see that Russian guy in the news? mental.

The truth is, all these programmes are very similar. Unless you have specific requirements or prefer the interface of one then it probably wont make a huge difference which one you get. You get a lot more extras in terms of effects processing and software instruments with the non-LE versions.

I've used Sonar for quite a few years and have came to like it. I use the score editor in Sonar for programming drums to help practice and writing.

If you wish to make electronic music, have you looked into Abelton Live?

Ableton - Live

Guest Gladstone

See this Reaper programme - where do you download the trial from? Going through google, I got directed to cockos.com/reaper - it looks legitimate enough, but I'm just a bit wary of downloading software from websites I've never heard of before... Is that the right place??

Also - I'm currently running Ableton, and have been searching for free VST plugins on the web - anyone know of a good place to download from? I'm having the same issue as with that reaper site - I can't tell if they are legit sites or not - don't want to download a virus into my laptop!!

See this Reaper programme - where do you download the trial from? Going through google, I got directed to cockos.com/reaper - it looks legitimate enough, but I'm just a bit wary of downloading software from websites I've never heard of before... Is that the right place??

Also - I'm currently running Ableton, and have been searching for free VST plugins on the web - anyone know of a good place to download from? I'm having the same issue as with that reaper site - I can't tell if they are legit sites or not - don't want to download a virus into my laptop!!

You're definitely looking at the same Reaper. I've installed it on a few computers and it's definitely legit.

Who needs pirating...Best free stuff - Harmony Central Musician Community Forums

This harmony central thread is a good source or links to legally free stuff.