aberdeen-music

FX Pedal won't work with power supply...

Soda Jerk

So, I got this old Italian crunch pedal off eBay, but when I plug my power supply into it, the light on the PSU instantly goes out, and the pedal doesn't switch on. Unplugging the power from the pedal means the light on the PSU instantly goes back on. It works with a battery, but I don't really like using batteries, especially with this pedal (as it requires some unscrewing to get to).

Also, it's a little quiet. Putting the output level on full simply matches the amp volume, if not ever so slightly quieter, where as I'd prefer it to boost a bit.

Other than that, it sounds canny, so I'd like to salvage it if possible. Is there anything I can do about either of these nitpicky queries?

So, I got this old Italian crunch pedal off eBay, but when I plug my power supply into it, the light on the PSU instantly goes out, and the pedal doesn't switch on. Unplugging the power from the pedal means the light on the PSU instantly goes back on. It works with a battery, but I don't really like using batteries, especially with this pedal (as it requires some unscrewing to get to).

Also, it's a little quiet. Putting the output level on full simply matches the amp volume, if not ever so slightly quieter, where as I'd prefer it to boost a bit.

Other than that, it sounds canny, so I'd like to salvage it if possible. Is there anything I can do about either of these nitpicky queries?

What sort of PSU are you using? Multi-voltage? Can it cope with the amp-rating? Have you checked that the polarity is correct if it is a multi-voltage PSU?

I really have no idea what you just said, ha!

It has a switch on it that switches between 4.5, 5, 6, 9 and 12v volts, or something like that. It doesn't have a brand on it. It was from Woolworths and is surprisingly noise-free, which is why I've stuck with it. Don't have problems with it with any other pedal.

How do I go about checking the things you just said? Electronics certainly aren't my forte.

I really have no idea what you just said, ha!

It has a switch on it that switches between 4.5, 5, 6, 9 and 12v volts, or something like that. It doesn't have a brand on it. It was from Woolworths and is surprisingly noise-free, which is why I've stuck with it. Don't have problems with it with any other pedal.

How do I go about checking the things you just said? Electronics certainly aren't my forte.

Usually on the pedal there will be sticker or something with a voltage rating and possibly an amp rating (mA usually). Next to the input for the PSU there will be a polarity diagram (will show the centre-core being positive or negative). Match up the polarity diagram with the diagram on your input plug (you can usually take them out and switch them over).

Obviously the voltage rating needs to be the same.

Excellent work, Phil. I switched the connection around, as per the polarity diagram, and that sorted it. However, it works the opposite way to the rest of my pedals, so I assume I'll need to buy another powerpack to power the rest?

I'm still concerned about the volume. Any pedal modifiers here know if it can be modified to be a bit louder? 1 louder?

Excellent work, Phil. I switched the connection around, as per the polarity diagram, and that sorted it. However, it works the opposite way to the rest of my pedals, so I assume I'll need to buy another powerpack to power the rest?

I'm still concerned about the volume. Any pedal modifiers here know if it can be modified to be a bit louder? 1 louder?

Yeah, you'll have to get another power supply. Glad i could be of service.

You can get diago power adaptors that will swap the polarity around if that would help? I think the center pos ones are the red ones.

Also if its quiet something i've seen work with other pedals (Mxr blue box and the like) is to remove a certain capacitor. Whether or not that pedal has it is another matter.

EDIT:- Diago Red Adaptor 2.1mm plug Dunlop pedals on eBay (end time 28-Mar-10 16:34:58 BST) here is the link to the diago. I bought one for my DHA the other day.

Old pedals like that probably ran on AC. Pedal Power Adaptors like the Voodoo labs run them by switching the polarity at the flick of a switch.

As for modding a pedal to be louder, you need to research the pedal and draw out a schematic if there is not one available. You need to know what each component does and if it can be modded for that without damaging the pedal.

Could be a headroom issue. I've got a DS1 and a Big Muff that gave me similar problems. Turns out it was because I had my pickups sitting really close to the strings, so the pickup output was high and there wasn't much headroom left on the amp for the boost from the pedal (or something like that anyway).

Lowered the pickups a bit and both pedals work perfectly now.

The pickup isn't particularly close to the strings, but it is a very hot pickup. Still, I wouldn't want to lower it, as I'd lose a bit of attack from the pickup. It's currently sat at the right height before it starts to lose volume and bite.

I've had a quick google for schematics for the pedal, but I can barely find any information on it whatsoever.