aberdeen-music

Chef Jang moved?

Ravendarksky

This thread just keeps getting better. Soon we'll have every sushi chef in Aberdeen registered on here :laughing:

Just to throw a cat among the pigeons, I hear that Wagamama will be opening in Union Square by Christmas.

Wagamama to open restaurant in Aberdeens Union Square - Evening Express

It's like a Japanese food turf-war in here.

I really liked Chef Jang at the market but I haven't tried the new place yet. I really like Yo as well, but it gets fucking expensive.

This thread just keeps getting better. Soon we'll have every sushi chef in Aberdeen registered on here :laughing:

Just to throw a cat among the pigeons, I hear that Wagamama will be opening in Union Square by Christmas.

Wagamama to open restaurant in Aberdeens Union Square - Evening Express

It's like a Japanese food turf-war in here.

I really liked Chef Jang at the market but I haven't tried the new place yet. I really like Yo as well, but it gets fucking expensive.

I'll take you on a date as long as I get a hummer.

• 2 months later...
Yatai?

That moved back to its original place near the Forum.

They have a much less choice on their menu, which is a shame. I loved the menu when they were at Bauhaus.

There menu now is magnificent much much better but not for the mass market

bog standard Japanese consumer....It stopped doing sushi, no challenge there.

No Sushi! The official blog of Yatai, Aberdeen's best Japanese Restaurant.

Locally sourced (including their own garden), organic, sustainable

blah its light years ahead of the overpriced mediocrity in Aberdeen....

When did it move back to skene street? And what's in Langstane Place now instead?

a few weeks ago, langstane place didn't work out. The diners of Aberdeen kept ordering the same dishes all the time & John & his team got fed up with it.

Go into 1UP & ask Titch if he enjoyed his meal in Yatai last week...........

Guest Tam o' Shantie
There menu now is magnificent much much better but not for the mass market bog standard Japanese consumer....It stopped doing sushi, no challenge there.

Riiight. No challenge except for the fact that they were ordered to freeze all of their fish before serving it raw, as this highly publicised article and many others like it explained last year?

a few weeks ago, langstane place didn't work out. The diners of Aberdeen kept ordering the same dishes all the time & John & his team got fed up with it.

Quick lesson in restaurant management from someone with no experience in the hospitalty trade but a faint grasp of the concept of 'service' - the customer's choices are never 'wrong'.

TBH Yatai pissed me off a lot over the years with their service. I always get/got a smarmy vibe off their staff and one time the enjoyment of my meal was seriously spoiled by the manager interrupting it to ask to see my booking confirmation. This is after booking on their shitty online system weeks in advance, phoning ahead to make sure it was still valid, and turning up on the night to be told by the maitre d' that I had no booking. As an apology, he insisted that myself and the missus at the time head through to the bar and get ourselves a drink - which later appeared on the bill. Wow, thanks for your generosity guys!

Then again reading through your comments I guess i'm just too much of a backward Aberdonian to understand how it all works. Next time i'll just go to McDonalds to play it safe.

Guest Tam o' Shantie

BTW on this subject the Chef Jang has a restaurant in town now as well, can't remember the name and this is not strictly japanese but also korean type food. I went a couple of times, food is lovely but I wouldn't recommend going in a large group - I did for a mate's birthday and it was a fairly terrible dining experience, I waited nearly 2 hours for my first plate of food to arrive, stuff came out wrong, some things never came out at all, and at the end we had to spend about an hour settling the bill since they couldn't figure out what we'd ordered and neither could we. I do intend to go back, maybe as a small group at some point and see if they have got the restaurant management bit improved.

BTW on this subject the Chef Jang has a restaurant in town now as well, can't remember the name and this is not strictly japanese but also korean type food. I went a couple of times, food is lovely but I wouldn't recommend going in a large group - I did for a mate's birthday and it was a fairly terrible dining experience, I waited nearly 2 hours for my first plate of food to arrive, stuff came out wrong, some things never came out at all, and at the end we had to spend about an hour settling the bill since they couldn't figure out what we'd ordered and neither could we. I do intend to go back, maybe as a small group at some point and see if they have got the restaurant management bit improved.

Yorokobi by CJ on Huntly Street.

Quick lesson in restaurant management from someone with no experience in the hospitalty trade but a faint grasp of the concept of 'service' - the customer's choices are never 'wrong'.

Exactly what I was thinking. You can't blame a customer for ordering what they want to eat. The owner sounds like a first class donkey.

• 7 months later...
Guest Tam o' Shantie

well, it's been a while since any discussion on the matter. I still havent' been back to yorokobi but i've got a real hankering for it soon so I will post my findings in due course.

however, I was back in Oryza sushi today and they have sorted out all the complaints i had with it after going before. the menu is quite extensive now, well priced, and really tasty. the standard of the recipes has gone way up.

95p for a decent bowl of miso soup, most of the rolls were priced about 3.50 for eight fairly large ones. cans of juice 70p. i bought lots of extras like kimchi & edemame that jacked the price up a bit but you'd be more than able to stuff your face on a tenner's worth of food. it's 2 mins walk from my flat as well, definitely reckon i'll be going back soon.

The quality of sushi in Melbourne is outstanding and something I gorge on at least a couple of times a week. I've never tried any of the Aberdeen places but I imagine when I get back I'll still have the hankering, so I'm looking forward to checking out some of the places mentioned in this thread.