aberdeen-music

Chef Jang moved?

Ravendarksky

I have been Oryza Sushi in 75 Huntly street a lot of times recently, all I can say is that they are really good. I have also heard some of the other say that they had the best sushi ever had there (which is compared to the other three in town). I had a Red dragon roll (which clearly has raw fresh tuna, and tobiko fish roe in it), flying tiger roll (contains shrimp tempura), unicorn roll (contains raw tuna salad), and some of their delicious fish roes (you CANNOT find that variety in any other Japanese restaurants in Aberdeen). The shop is hot and beautiful, the staff are friendly and approachable. The only thing i have to say is with all these nice fresh food, the price is too cheap.

I feel like i am listening a Chinese whisper here. You simply just have to go and be able to see by yourself. SEEING IS BELIEVING.

Good luck and i highly recommend ORYZA SUSHI to all of you sushi lovers.:devil::p:punk::headbang::guns::D8o:rockon:X-(:O

So Oryza has stopped using tinned food?

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion (but not their own set of facts) which is derived from their limitation of understanding, level of accumulated knowledge, informed perspective, level of wisdom, capacity of reasoning, ability to distinguish truth from error, and so no. But I guess, one easy way is, you dont need to believe me or anyone else to be closer to the truth, but simply, by going and seeing by yourself.

blind-soldier-for-blog.jpg

are you the guy who writes the ditties on those tear-off calendars?

• 2 weeks later...

What a complete and utter bunch of tw@ts on here honestly....

Moaning about maki rolls in a mould, as opposed to hand....

Tinned Tuna......which is actually served in dishes in EVERY sushi restaurant in Aberdeen

And some of you slating a shop when you aint even been

Seriously folks wise up, i have been to Oryza with my girlfriend once, and the service was IMPECCABLE, the food was great, and the price was far cheaper than the rip off prices of Yo! Sushi.

The tuna at Oryza was FRESH CUT from a large block of raw tuna, by hand in front of us, the mackeral was too, and the maki rolls had tinned tuna in them along with crab sticks and fresh avocado.....SAME AS EVERYWHERE ELSE.

I am on pretty good terms with Chef Jang himself too, and we both went to his new place two saturdays past, again food great......and service always good.....we spoke to him for 5 minutes before we left when he came out to see what we thought of his new place, and the food and he told us that he is NOT assosciated with oryza (pronounced Oreesha)

If you want pre-packed, processed, ready made sushi, go to Yo! where its been sitting on the conveyor for 45 mins before you get there, and in a fridge vaccuum packed for 3 days before that !!!!

Jesus some folk honestly......but in short if you havent BEEN to Oryza or Yorokobi.....then STFU !!!

WE ARE LUCKY ENOUGH TO HAVE FOLK OPEN THESE PLACES IN ABERDEEN without slating them before they even get onto a level footing....

TRY IT or SHUT IT :down:

What a complete and utter bunch of tw@ts on here honestly....

Moaning about maki rolls in a mould, as opposed to hand....

Tinned Tuna......which is actually served in dishes in EVERY sushi restaurant in Aberdeen

And some of you slating a shop when you aint even been

Seriously folks wise up, i have been to Oryza with my girlfriend once, and the service was IMPECCABLE, the food was great, and the price was far cheaper than the rip off prices of Yo! Sushi.

The tuna at Oryza was FRESH CUT from a large block of raw tuna, by hand in front of us, the mackeral was too, and the maki rolls had tinned tuna in them along with crab sticks and fresh avocado.....SAME AS EVERYWHERE ELSE.

I am on pretty good terms with Chef Jang himself too, and we both went to his new place two saturdays past, again food great......and service always good.....we spoke to him for 5 minutes before we left when he came out to see what we thought of his new place, and the food and he told us that he is NOT assosciated with oryza (pronounced Oreesha)

If you want pre-packed, processed, ready made sushi, go to Yo! where its been sitting on the conveyor for 45 mins before you get there, and in a fridge vaccuum packed for 3 days before that !!!!

Jesus some folk honestly......but in short if you havent BEEN to Oryza or Yorokobi.....then STFU !!!

WE ARE LUCKY ENOUGH TO HAVE FOLK OPEN THESE PLACES IN ABERDEEN without slating them before they even get onto a level footing....

TRY IT or SHUT IT :down:

LOLLERS! So, you're the manager of Oryza then?

umm, I had been to both. So in your books am I allowed to critique it?

Or do I have to have been to both places within the past week, to allow me to give up to date news on the restaurant?

I merely voiced my opinion of the first time I went, and that time was enough to put me off from going back. Compared to the first time at CJ's where I raved about it to everyone.

Hi all,

ok I have to talk now cause this matter (food always) is very dear to my heart.

I moved to Aberdeen in December and it took me a while to find some proper sushi here. Chef Jang.was really no disappointment at all. My boss then told me about Oryza and I went there (cause nearer to my office back then) to check it out. Now the thing is - if you do not insist on REAL sushi (apart from the ones containing fresh tuna like the unicorn roll - I know the menu by heart now) then by all means go to Oryza. The girls there are really friendly and its clean and a cute little shop. I do support such things big time. BUT proper sushi it isnt. If I dont even get "normal"(RAW) salmon sushi - or my choice of raw is limited to raw tuna (not counting the fishroe) then it is not real sushi at all for me....I think they flirt with the whole fusion roll stuff . I was also disappointed when I tried the "normal" maki with surimi in it and it contained some kind of mayo(mustard) sauce???

WTF?????????? ?( if I want sushi I want healthy and not some mayo in there - which does not belong in there and is not even listed on the menu as ingredient!

I at least would like to have the choice between a selection of raw sushi and cooked/smoked ingredients.... So yes, without a doubt its Oryza is nice and clean and friendly but if you hunger for real sushi go somewhere else. As I said, I still go there now and then, because sometimes I am just fine with a few smoked salmon nigiri,cause they are relatively cheap and way better than the stuff u get in the supermarkets here...

Yorokobi by Chef Jang is good and varied quality as always - only the fact that they have the restaurant now seems to have reflected on the prices. Also the take away menu hopefully will grow. Sushi only is not enough I think. Apart from that fine as always.

And many thanks to the person who brought up Big Mama's! Sounds great and is the next on my list to try out.

Regards,

KM

Guest droid

And many thanks to the person who brought up Big Mama's! Sounds great and is the next on my list to try out.

I tried it and it was very poor in my opinion,the food was microwaved and luke warm.I was looking forward to jerk chicken and was greatly disappointed.Make your own mind up though.

I tried it and it was very poor in my opinion,the food was microwaved and luke warm.I was looking forward to jerk chicken and was greatly disappointed.Make your own mind up though.

Oof, was going to try this place out next week, probably still will, cheers for the heads up though...

Love jerk chicken, used to visit mates in Brixton where there were West Indian takeaways on every street, mmm, ackee & saltfish & rice & peas & patties. Ace.

Guest droid
Oof, was going to try this place out next week, probably still will, cheers for the heads up though...

Love jerk chicken, used to visit mates in Brixton where there were West Indian takeaways on every street, mmm, ackee & saltfish & rice & peas & patties. Ace.

Dude,i worked in Portobello Road under the Westway.You ain't gonna get nothing like that in Mama's Kitchen....lovely lady by the way.

Guest Tam o' Shantie

lovely lady who tbh is probably not getting much custom at the moment. hence the small choice and reheated curry...hopefully things will pick up though cos the food is nice.

@paranoid

if that was directed towards me I can say I am neither working there nor elsewhere in this scene. I am a medic and food hygiene trainer and work offshore(forced to live here for a while) and thought you are allowed to post your personal opinion here. just because I do not diss generally here and try to stay respectful does not mean I dont have my own opinion.

I also dont give a damn if the comments on "real sushi" are fair or not( I know there are different varieties of sushi and the rice etc I've been to Japan but lets just keep it simple here) - I tried to explain my point of view that was all. For me sushi with tinned tuna is not worth being called sushi - simple as that.

Regardless of the fact that this stuff is "served in every sushi restaurant in aberdeen" or not. just because the people here are alright with it does not mean it's alright in general..... serve that somewhere else as sushi and they will throw the thing at you...

but that people dont come to aberdeen for the food is understood anyway..... its a transitional city - its an oil city - its not a gourmet place.

I stumbled upon this site by accident, cause I was looking for chef jangs new adress...and thought it might help other people( who are also not from aberdeen or the uk) to get an impression, if telling what I saw.

thats all.

but I see its fruitless and the wrong forum anyway. sorry.

regards,

KM

• 4 weeks later...

Late to the party as usual, but just thought I'd chip in my 2 cents here:

I'll be completely up front. Formerly of Snafu, I am now at YO! Sushi. I'm not going to say anything about any other restaurant in Aberdeen as I wish them all the best - there's more than enough potential customers to go round! Nor have I signed up here just to post this, I have been around for a few years...

Would just like to clarify some facts (and common misconceptions):

1. YO! Sushi do not use tinned tuna at all, even in our maki. It's all fresh and raw. On an environmental note, we use Yellowfin, not Bluefin.

2. Our rolls are made fresh. We are bound by probably the tightest food hygiene policy I have ever come across in any restaurant. Rice is a high risk food and is not kept over-night, nor any longer than 4 hours. Plus, we treat all our rice with vinegar to balance out the pH. Our food safety policy is available on-line (Fun, Fast & Fresh Japanese Food | YO! Sushi Restaurants & Takeaway) for all to read.

3. The law allows for our food to be kept at room temperature for 4 hours (i.e. on the belt) - we keep it for 2. We even put time stickers on each lid for complete transparency.

4. Once delivered, our fish is kept refrigerated for 48 hours maximum.

5. We have a Health & Hygiene Manager who used to work in a similar role for McDonald's and anyone who's worked there will agree that their food safety is tight - it has to be.

All-in-all, YO! is a chain restaurant and some people prefer to support independents, myself usually also. However, I will strongly dispute any allegations about the quality of ingredients or a lack of freshness. Thanks for reading...if you made it this far...!

Gomes

Hey Guys

I'd just like to point out before I start that I am the second chef at "yorokobi by cj" and my views may seem biased but I'm proud of my job and the food we serve. So ill leave it up to you guys to desided for yourself what you think is the best sushi to have.

I'm not going to bring down any other Sushi places in this post and i wish them all the best.

First off Id like to thank the customers that supported us back in the market at "Chef Jangs" It's good to see a lot of you guys in the new place and your continued support is a great blessing to us.

Id like to add that this is are first time opening a restaurant and for the first month or two we mixed about with the menu and the prices trying to fined the right balance which we believe we have now. i am sorry if this has cause any unhappiness to any customers so far.

We have also got a takeaway menu now along the same lines (And Price) of the menu of the old shop

The takeaway menus and sit in menus can be found on are website Yorokobi

I'm happy to reply to any questions you might have or feel free to pop in the restaurant are staff are happy to help

Neil Drysdale

Second Chef at yorokobi by cj