aberdeen-music

Musicians required for soul/funk project - live hip hop beat covers

Guest Tam o' Shantie

Guest Tam o' Shantie

Thinking of getting some people together for a soul/funk band doing covers of hip hop beats.

I love what the El Michels Affair have done with the Wu Tang instrumentals but there are a huge amount of other great beats from yesterday's hip hop artists that would make a brilliant blueprint for some live instrumental soul tunes! I'd like to see how it all sounds and maybe look into the possibility of doing some recordings on the label, legal questions aside.

I can play drums fairly well and can get away with bass too. Keyboard/guitar at a push.

Do we have any takers for sax, flute, other brass/woodwind? Ideally if we can get a few people who are comfortable with a few instruments we can figure out who plays what for which songs. I reckon we'd start off with stuff like this and see how interesting we could make it:

YouTube - Notorious BIG - Kick In The Door *instrumental*

YouTube - Nas - N.Y. State of Mind [instrumental]

YouTube - Mobb Deep - Shook Ones Pt. II [instrumental]

This sounds promising - definitely something that Aberdeen is currently missing, and I've always thought it would be decent to have a band that do covers of hip hop/soul/funk instrumentals, because there are some top notch tunes out there that aren't given their due by many because they consider it to be just the underlying accompaniment to the vocals.

Guest droid
This sounds promising - definitely something that Aberdeen is currently missing, and I've always thought it would be decent to have a band that do covers of hip hop/soul/funk instrumentals, because there are some top notch tunes out there that aren't given their due by many because they consider it to be just the underlying accompaniment to the vocals.

Iv'e played in a couple of instrumental funk/soul things recently and to be quite honest there isn't that big a demand for it,also the biggest insult was"why don't you get a vocalist".Don't think there is anyone in town that could cut it vocally anyway.:up:

Guest droid
hopefully the hip hop beat gimmick should make things a bit more appealing?

Our drummer was smashing those Stubblefield grooves man.....best of luck to ya! 8-)

"why don't you get a vocalist"

Yeah sorry Rod, I believe I threw that one at you on a drunken occasion.

I really enjoyed klunk especially playing with you guys a couple of times, it was ace, which I guess is most of the point! If there is an audience for it then you've struck it lucky, perhaps just the wrong place or something.

Think this little project could be fun though! Don't think you'd be looking be playing to hoards of people though ... more like aiming at an intimate venue filled (if you're lucky) with the folk who are actually into it/interested enough to come along.

Guest droid
perhaps just the wrong place or something

Totally dude,haha it wasn't just you that said that,no offence taken i knew you'd had a couple of sherbets.I think the funk/soul music scene is a lot healthier the further south you go,bummer really!

Totally dude,haha it wasn't just you that said that,no offence taken i knew you'd had a couple of sherbets.I think the funk/soul music scene is a lot healthier the further south you go,bummer really!

Yeah you're absolutely right. I think you can have a one off or a couple of really good nights here but it's almost impossible to maintain it without a lot of spare time and motivation (and spare cash).

We're off to spread our wings in some of these more friendly places soon which might be a good eye opener. See where we need to improve to actually compete successfully.

Back to this project... would talbox be classed as vocals?

Guest Tam o' Shantie

yes, entirely.

the primary aim will be to replicate these beats as accurately as possible, this is all gonna be east coast 90s rap stuff!

Thinking of getting some people together for a soul/funk band doing covers of hip hop beats.

I love what the El Michels Affair have done with the Wu Tang instrumentals but there are a huge amount of other great beats from yesterday's hip hop artists that would make a brilliant blueprint for some live instrumental soul tunes! I'd like to see how it all sounds and maybe look into the possibility of doing some recordings on the label, legal questions aside.

I can play drums fairly well and can get away with bass too. Keyboard/guitar at a push.

Do we have any takers for sax, flute, other brass/woodwind? Ideally if we can get a few people who are comfortable with a few instruments we can figure out who plays what for which songs. I reckon we'd start off with stuff like this and see how interesting we could make it:

YouTube - Notorious BIG - Kick In The Door *instrumental*

YouTube - Nas - N.Y. State of Mind [instrumental]

YouTube - Mobb Deep - Shook Ones Pt. II [instrumental]

I play bass and this definitely something i'd like to get involved in. I have tried to get involved in some funk stuff in the past without success. Pretty frustrating when you can't get anything along these lines together without it falling apart before it's really got started.

pm me if your interested in my services.

Cheers

Guest Tam o' Shantie

guys...let's keep this on track & please read my original post. this is not a hip hop band, or a funk/hip hop thing. this is going to be an instrumental soul band purely doing covers of 90s NY hip hop beats. the links i posted up first will be the actual songs that i want to play.

Guest droid
guys...let's keep this on track & please read my original post. this is not a hip hop band, or a funk/hip hop thing. this is going to be an instrumental soul band purely doing covers of 90s NY hip hop beats. the links i posted up first will be the actual songs that i want to play.

Easy Tiger,just a wee bit of interaction there.With all due respect there is very little "soul" in the tracks you posted.:)

That Nas link sounded akin to The Herbaliser Session stuff with the live band...in other words, ace. I could only offer drums unfortunately but if you decide to do bass or something else....and it would have to be an occasional thing....

Guest Tam o' Shantie
That Nas link sounded akin to The Herbaliser Session stuff with the live band...in other words, ace. I could only offer drums unfortunately but if you decide to do bass or something else....and it would have to be an occasional thing....

Are you Original Spies?

Guest Tam o' Shantie
Oh. Yeah, was 'Godzilla Blues'.

That was a cool name. Are you any good at drumming...got any recordings? And are you free on occasional Sundays?