aberdeen-music

bass fx pedals advice sought

ZeromiserY

I'm looking for an fx pedal for a bassist as a gift.

anyone know any good un's?

i was looking at the line 6 bass pod which looks immense but is a little out of my price range.

also had a look at the zoom B2 (i think thats what it was called) theres a version with an expression pedal. though the Line 6 made the stock sounds on this box sound like it was from a carnival prize bass pedal.

anyone know any good ones? prefer multi FX but if anyone knows of anything decent as a stand alone let me know. he already has a couple of decent overdrive pedals so somethign a little different would be nice. compression maybe?

thanks

:up:

The Zoom B2.1U is a great wee pedal (very programmable, USB, drum rhythms for practice) and in recognition of this is getting more expensive than they used to be but if you want something more pro and gigable get a Boss GT6B. You should be able to pick up one second hand for just over 100 these days.

My advice would be (generally speaking) stay clear of multi FX pedals. The only real exceptions I think would be the Line 6 stuff (Pod as well as stuff like the FM4 filter modeller). Can't comment on the Boss multi FX as I haven't tried it.

If it was me I'd buy them either a Boss OC2 (not made any more but you should get one on eBay for less than 100. These are classic octavers and sound amazing doing anything from Stevie Wonder funk to metal to dub and drum'n'bass...awesome in a slightly out of tune way.

If you want something with a few more nobs go for a Boss SYB5 bass synth...hours of fun making crazy noises or an Electroharmonix Bass Micro Synth.

Most of the FX fun I've had has been taking pedals and gluing them together in a random order rather than playing with one big multi fx box. Also there's nothing better than turning up to a gig and have more pedals that then guitar player :D

What Nick said.

I haven't tried Zoom stuff for years so they may well have improved but Zoom still brings to mind for most people 2 second gaps in signal whilst changing between effects. I just prefer stompboxs anyway.

I'd maybe recommend anything out of the nano-range by electro-harmonix. Great bang for buck ratio. Or a Digitech bass synth pedal - magic pedal and you can pick it up relatively cheaply on ebay.

If I was only allowed one pedal ever it would still probably be the Boss OC2. It sounds good pretty much no matter what you do and you can do alot with it.

Lots of amazing early 90s / late 80s fretless stuff plus I'm pretty sure the guy from 311 has one and uses it for some of their dub tunes. I made some brutal d'n'b noises with mine as well.

Oh yeah...meant to say...generally don't bother with compressor pedals. They don't tend to be that great quality-wise.

For something a bit whacky I'm still selling hard for the Boss bass synth, but I've heard good things about the Digitech synth as well.

What sort of budget are you looking at?

Guest droid

Oh yeah...meant to say...generally don't bother with compressor pedals. They don't tend to be that great quality-wise.

Apart from the EBS blacklabel multicomp.I have a Boss AW3 dynamic wah and a Boss Bass chorus for sale.

• 3 weeks later...