aberdeen-music

Barberos, Stig Noise Soundsystem & support @ Tunnels, 18th June

davidm

I could write a big rant about how Aberdeen totally failed to show up and show any decent support for this gig, but what's the point? I knew it was going to happen despite the effort I put into it...all I can say is that anyone who didn't see these bands play really missed out on something special. Ah well.

I could write a big rant about how Aberdeen totally failed to show up and show any decent support for this gig, but what's the point? I knew it was going to happen despite the effort I put into it...all I can say is that anyone who didn't see these bands play really missed out on something special. Ah well.

The most important part there - four bands all doing something a bit different, and all four were really good. Min Diesel are really beginning to come on since I last saw them, and Barberos were just something else. Not massively blown away by Stig, but couldn't fail to be impressed by the bass/drum interplay. Stu's solo set lived up to expectations too, really impressed with the textures as opposed to the balls-out noise.

:up:

I was very drunk when I turned up to this and sadly I only caught the last two songs by Min Diesel, however the two headliners were unreal!

I thought Stig Noise Soundsystem would be difficult to top. They were really interesting to hear and just as entertaining to watch with their fucked up genre skipping sound. I suppose if I had to compare them to another band it would be Mr Bungle, but some people would probably disagree with that. I thought the trumpet was essential in that band and made for a really interesting sound. 8/10

Barberos were unbelievable. Perhaps not something I'd be into - especially not as much a SNS - but as a drummer it was very, very entertaining. The noises coming out of the decks/laptop/whatever are something I wouldn't normally like, but accompanied with the drums there was something really primal and dirty about it all. You could literally feel the bass in your throat at times! I think they are the type of band that anyone could watcch and like, regardless of their tastes. This is frustrating, I don't really know how to explain why they were so ace but they definitely rocked my socks off BIG TIME! 9/10

Good night in the Tunnels, well done to davidm.

I was very drunk when I turned up to this

Really? Could have fooled me...

Was really impressed with all the acts on the bill. Went in, as I often do, not knowing what to expect but each act was certainly worth seeing. I think Dave will testify from the look on my face how much I enjoyed Barberos in particular, though SNS werent far behind.

Shame on you, people of Aberdeen, for not being there.

Hmm, a slightly more sober post now.

Thank you if you came down, it was genuinely really appreciated. All the bands were fucking ace. There's really not much more I can say. The Barberos/Stig guys seemed to really enjoy themselves as well, which is always good.

I liked Stig, rock solid rhythm section and the first time I enjoyed a brass instrument in this sorta set up. Couldn't hear any/much guitar or vocal, and the bass was ridiculously loud, but it still worked.

Baberos were unreal though. If you described it (two really good drummers playing off each other, boys in spandex, one synth and live visuals) it sounds really really pretentious, but all of it is essential. So so tight and didn't lack anything, despite only one instrument that played y'know, notes. Live visuals were awesome too. Creepy as and in sync with the music.

Stig were just amazing - one of the most interesting bands I've seen in a long time.

Barberos were just wild and amazing. The live dubstep bass on one track was rather good...

Dave

This bit was a highlight.

The Min possibly weren't as on it as they were with Fighterplanes (partially due to the overall sound i think), but still great fun to watch. Really looking forward to the recordings.

Missed most of Stu'd set which was rubbish, but what I did hear creeped me out. That must mean it's good.