aberdeen-music

Four Tet - how does he do it...

ragudave

Guest Stripey

Do you sill do everything with a computer as opposed to work in a big studio?

Yes. Theres nothing, no mixing desk, no effects. Only my computer and my hi-fi. Thats all I used on my album. I record stuff, or sample records, or television, or radio. I collect most sounds and then put them on the computer and start messing it all, manipulate them, mock around with them. Theres nothing on the record that is just straight play. Everything has been highly edited, constructed. I might sample a few notes and change them. For instance, theres no bass on the record at all. Every single bass-type sound on the whole thing is actually other instruments in the track slowed down. On Untangle, besides the drums, every single sound is made out of this one harp sample. I got quite into taking one or two sounds, messing with them loads, trying to make all the sounds I need to make the whole track, with just one little second-long burst of music.

http://www.themilkfactory.co.uk/interviews/fourtetiw.htm

his pals play the instruments (his other band Fridge, have all three guys playing in it (adem, on bass))

I think he must just have a massive bank of jams and stuff, he probalby has an Idea of a tune, and gets someone to play it (from Fridge), or he's probably just a talented bastard and can play the double bass, acoustic guitar..drums...

there are a few "plug ins" or filters you can buy now to do the micro-edits (the glitch / note stretching).

probably based on the old time stretching you used to get in old DnB...

Cuebase can get the filters for gitching...

there are also a few "coders" out there that make their own algorithums to cut / snip sounds...clever bastards...

There was a fantastic interview with him in Sound On Sound ages ago, I can't remember the exact details but he can play a lot of instruments, most of which he seems to record into his computer via a shitty low-end computer microphone. The article went into a lot of depth about his ethos for producing tunes and into his record collection (of which he obviously samples shed loads).

One of those rare moments I'm bitter I'm not an avid retainer of magazines.

Guest Stripey
There was a fantastic interview with him in Sound On Sound ages ago' date=' I can't remember the exact details but he can play a lot of instruments, most of which he seems to record into his computer via a shitty low-end computer microphone. The article went into a lot of depth about his ethos for producing tunes and into his record collection (of which he obviously samples shed loads).

One of those rare moments I'm bitter I'm not an avid retainer of magazines.[/quote']

This one?

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/Jul03/articles/fourtet.asp?session=efc027c151dad043a9a09b30d987253f

Guest Stripey

there are a few "plug ins" or filters you can buy now to do the micro-edits (the glitch / note stretching).

probably based on the old time stretching you used to get in old DnB...

Cuebase can get the filters for gitching...

there are also a few "coders" out there that make their own algorithums to cut / snip sounds...clever bastards...

It's as simple as loading a sound into a sampler and triggering it an octave or two lower than normal :p (then applying filters and envelopes or whatever else' date=' I use this filter which is pretty good [url']http://www.ohmforce.com/ViewProduct.do?p=QuadFrohmage it has a freaky ring modulator and everything)

I haven't heard this four tet guy before, but I am getting some mp3's now..

It's as simple as loading a sound into a sampler and triggering it an octave or two lower than normal :p (then applying filters and envelopes or whatever else' date=' I use this filter which is pretty good [url']http://www.ohmforce.com/ViewProduct.do?p=QuadFrohmage it has a freaky ring modulator and everything)

I haven't heard this four tet guy before, but I am getting some mp3's now..

Cheers for the interview links - Four Tet makes pretty decent music. Three albums and a few remixes and singles. He played in Adeen the other year @ Exodus.

Try and d/load some of his longer single mixes as they are the best IMHO...