aberdeen-music

Camera lens help

Skamikazee

Since there are quite a few photographers floating around the site I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice regarding buying a zoom lens for my Canon 450D.

At the moment I've just got the kit lens and I'm finding the limit of its zoom restricting, particularly while shooting sports at university. I'm finding a lot of different conflicting information on which lens I should look at.

I found this article Recommended Canon lenses for Sports, Action and Wildlife photography | Cameralabs

So I've been checking out the Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM and the Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Telephoto Zoom AF Lens which is pretty damn cheap on Amazon right now. I quite want image stabilisation and both have it. I'm not sure if there are any other lenses I should be considering.

I know that there is a fair different in price between the lenses but I don't want to purchase the cheaper one and then regret it because it doesn't have the reach I need. I'm pretty new to DSLRs so any advice would be appreciated. It will be mostly used for fast paced sports (hockey, lacrosse, rugby etc) and a bit of wildlife photography.

Cheers

One thing to note is that for fast sports (or fast moving wildlife) the image stabilisation won't be of any help. It'll allow you to hand hold in lower light without blurring due to your hands &/or the camera moving but it won't help freeze movement of other folks!

And f5.6 is quite slow for Scotland's weather - on bright (sunny) days you'll be fine but other times you might struggle and indoors is almost no hope.

in saying that I used to use an old Canon 70-300mm without IS for football & some basic wildlife, it was a big step in the right direction away from kit lenses :)