aberdeen-music

BM thread got me thinking

britheguy

I agree totally on the lack of decent basses in Aberdeen.

It was a bit of a shock to the system given that I've just moved up from London and there are a few places that sell nothing but basses!!!

More of a shock was the lack of a decent luthier / repair bloke. The guy in the shop in the merchant's quarter said they send everything off to some bloke in Glasgow (I think).

Might have to start planning trips down to Newcastle if I need stuff fixed. :down:

I just learned to fix things myself.

More of a shock was the lack of a decent luthier / repair bloke. The guy in the shop in the merchant's quarter said they send everything off to some bloke in Glasgow (I think).

You misheard/misinterpreted.

We (R&B) used to have a very skilled luthier 7 years ago. He sadly passed away. Attempts have been made to find someone with a commendable level of ability to take his place, if you will.

The people we have been in contact with that have worked examples for us have not been good enough. That's it in short.

With regards to the Glasgow mention - given our position of not having a skilled luthier, we do not take on structural work on instruments. Not having the facility nor expertise to do so is the reason for this. However, we recommend taking your instrument to one of the two highly skilled and recommended luthiers in Glasgow as they could carry out the required work to the highest standard.

The point to that being that there are no luthiers in Aberdeen (or surrounding) that we have had any experience with to recommend to work with your pride and joy. I deem this a fair way of operating in that we are simply suggesting what we know to be more than satisfactory :)

Of course, depending on what is required, we can do some work to instruments. :up:

You misheard/misinterpreted.

We (R&B) used to have a very skilled luthier 7 years ago. He sadly passed away. Attempts have been made to find someone with a commendable level of ability to take his place, if you will.

The people we have been in contact with that have worked examples for us have not been good enough. That's it in short.

With regards to the Glasgow mention - given our position of not having a skilled luthier, we do not take on structural work on instruments. Not having the facility nor expertise to do so is the reason for this. However, we recommend taking your instrument to one of the two highly skilled and recommended luthiers in Glasgow as they could carry out the required work to the highest standard.

The point to that being that there are no luthiers in Aberdeen (or surrounding) that we have had any experience with to recommend to work with your pride and joy. I deem this a fair way of operating in that we are simply suggesting what we know to be more than satisfactory :)

Of course, depending on what is required, we can do some work to instruments. :up:

I totally understand the position...didn't realise why there was a lack of a bloke to recommend though....sorry.

The fact that your guy said in the shop that they hadn't found anyone you trusted in town was a plus point from a customer service point of view. It was just a bit of a shock. I've been lucky to have two or three good repair people near me until now. On the upside it gives me an excuse to explore Scotland or go and see my mates in Newcastle. :D

Guest droid
I totally understand the position...didn't realise why there was a lack of a bloke to recommend though....sorry.

The fact that your guy said in the shop that they hadn't found anyone you trusted in town was a plus point from a customer service point of view. It was just a bit of a shock. I've been lucky to have two or three good repair people near me until now. On the upside it gives me an excuse to explore Scotland or go and see my mates in Newcastle. :D

I used to get Martin Peterson at the Gallery to do my basses,there is a luthier in Aberdeen who i would trust with my basses.He keeps a bit low key though.Be careful of the Glasgow connections too as i've heard bad reports about them,from more than one person.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest droid
Going back to the Gallery will give me an excuse to go and see my folks.

Martin and his guys to very very good work.

When I've got the coin I'm gonna blow it all on a headless Sei 5 string I think :rockon:

Can you drop me a PM with the name of your guy in Aberdeen?

Cheers

What do you need done?